The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AT2035 vs Rode NT1-A vs Oktava MK012 vs? Condenser Microphones
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

AT2035 vs Rode NT1-A vs Oktava MK012 vs?

Hi, I need to finally get my own microphone for recording sound effects, dialogue/noises, instruments and vocals and generally playing around. It would be nice if it's sensitive enough for soft sounds, wouldn't have excessive self noise and would sound "nice". Recordings would get used in my own short projects and possibly as source material for actual sound editor.

I've some experience with both Rode NT1-A (I think) and AT 2035 (I think), and sound went in, got recorded and sounded quite like the original sound. As you can observe, my specs are not very high. I'm mostly looking for something good enough to capture both sounds and performances. Extended highs might be nice for slowdowns/pitch shifts.

List so far:
AT 2035, cardioid
Rode NT1-A, cardioid
Rode NTG4, super-cardioid
Rode NT2-A, omni, figure-8, cardioid
Oktava MK 012, hyper-cardioid

Did I miss some budget wonder, what is the best all rounder and should I just toss a coin? Also, are there some cheap workable options for MS stereo if I ever would like to go there?

Bonus question: I'll also get budget monitors, Kali Audio LP6, anything wrong with them?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I own & use the NT1-A & have a pair of Octava mk102 mics. They're great for indoor use. The size & various capsules make the Mk102 a good first mic. Some people have good results outdoors in the field, but I found it too easily effected by wind & handling even with a blimp & fur coat.

The Rode NTG4 would seem the best choice to me of those you listed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have several of the MC012s and find they are useful for many things, but if you plan to do SFX recording while holding the mic or having it on a fishpole there are better choices. The MC012 has pretty terrible handling noise.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Okay, thanks! Are there some terrible limitations with NTG4 for recording acoustic instruments and such less focused sounds (as in, would I also need some another microphone to cover other areas)? It looks like the only difference between NTG4 and NTG4+ is the built-in battery, right?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search