The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
blending dialog with old cartoon Noise Reduction & Restoration Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

blending dialog with old cartoon

Hi,
How would you make a newly recorded dialogue 30 years older?

We're dubbing an old animation series from the late 80's. We've tried several techniques, EQ, compression, saturation.. to blend the clean recording (U87ai) to the old M&E but not quite satisfied. I thought about maybe using tape emu? Any plug-in you would recommend?
Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi, not sure what the original sounds like, but maybe also worth checking:
- AIR LoFi
- McDSP Fuzzbox (check different presets, lots of stuff)
- Speakerphone
- iZotope Vinyl

Hope you find sth!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What makes the M&E sound 80’s?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A lot of the content from that era was recorded to 1"C. I think between some tape emulation, saturation and EQ you should be able to get where you need to go.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Hi,
How would you make a newly recorded dialogue 30 years older?

We're dubbing an old animation series from the late 80's. We've tried several techniques, EQ, compression, saturation.. to blend the clean recording (U87ai) to the old M&E but not quite satisfied. I thought about maybe using tape emu? Any plug-in you would recommend?
Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Why not start with an eq match? You're also going to need some band limiting, probably sharper than you'd get with a conventional eq. One critical issue is whether your dealing with an FXR from optical, or whether it's been mag all the way.

Then there's also the acting and miking style. I've heard reliable sources that the reason some of the classic Warners had such an energy is that the tracks had to be recorded on hot sets when a feature film was taking a lunch break, so Mel Blanc et al had to yell into an overhead boom.

Which brings up the issue with any dialog replacement, even late 80s. I directed some radio sessions at the commercial studio across the street from Hanna Barbera back then. These were big, well treated rooms where you could get some distance from the mic. If your modern recording is close-miked (or medium distance in a slightly wet room) the task can be almost impossible.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

It's pretty easy to hear that a lot of those old cartoons were recorded with ribbons on big, live stages. Closest I've come to matching that has been by worldizing with a similar mic in a similar space. It takes considerable time to get it right, and you don't want a client sitting there "helping," especially if they've got nothing else to occupy them.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
+1 for Speakerphone/Futzbox and Vinyl - Vinyl is free, though I believe it requires an older OS/DAW version. You can achieve similar results using EQ/compression/distortion/saturation/verb/noise chains, but Speakerphone/Futzbox and Vinyl can get you close quicker.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I had good results with the W43 Noise reduction to extreme settings.

Fredo
Temple Of Tune
Belgium
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parfit View Post
+1 for Speakerphone/Futzbox and Vinyl - Vinyl is free, though I believe it requires an older OS/DAW version. You can achieve similar results using EQ/compression/distortion/saturation/verb/noise chains, but Speakerphone/Futzbox and Vinyl can get you close quicker.
30 years older? That would be 1990ies no? So in the 90ies everything sounded distorted and lo-fi?

hm...

pretty much every top mic used today was already there in the 90ies.

and recording tech was top notch too.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hey all thanks for the responses!
I finally managed to get good results with eq, compression and just a tiny bit of saturation. The M&E is mono so I'll make sure not to use panning or stereo reverb on the dialogue.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Other readers: a lot of 'matching mistakes' can get forgiven by context and other elements in the track. I'm glad Nucelar found a recipe, but don't expect it to be magic on your film.

OTOH, the advice about not treating dialog replacement as stereo is valid for almost every case. Unless the original was done in stereo, which makes things infinitely harder.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Try using the King’s Microphones plug-in from Waves. This plugin simulates vintage royal microphones. I use it with Izotope Vinyl and I like the result. Good luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search