The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Keeping ISDN lines
Old 4 days ago
Keeping ISDN lines

Just paid AT&T just over $700 for this months' ISDN line charge (2 numbers). It's been going up $60 a month every 3 months for last several years. I've tried to contact AT&T about a contract or plan to lock the rate for 12 months (like other services), and they have no idea what ISDN service is, it seems.

I have Source Connect and use it for VO sessions, but radio stations haven't adopted SC like the post community has. I'm sort of the "last man standing" regarding ISDN in my area, and am usually connecting with radio stations and/or voice talent 4 to 5 times a week.

For those of you that still have ISDN service, what are you paying for lines (no long distance)? Is there a rate plan code or something that I can ask AT&T for?
I know AT&T and all the rest want to get rid of copper in the worst way, but for me, it's a lifeline for steady work.

For those of you in Radio engineering, is there an IP solution that is, or looks to be becoming a standard that all major LA stations are going to have?
Thanks all or any ideas...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Wow, that's a lot of money.
We only pay $99NZD, about $68USD per month to keep the 2 lines.
If I do a job once a month it's paid for.

The minute that goes up I'll cancel it because all the studios I've dealt with also had SC in case ISDN didn't work.

I still prefer ISDN over SC not because of the quality but because of low latency.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Lots of radio stations are moving to IP codecs, like the Z/IP that's replaced Telos' Zephyr. Could you get by with SC (or even FaceTime) and a bridge service like ipDTL or Digifon?

Even though I still host Audiobahn on my website, I killed our ISDN and sold the terminal six years ago. IP meets all my needs now. YMMV.
Old 3 days ago
I guess consider yourself lucky. My mentor just told me that his phone line and fiber lines are costing him $4000.00 a month. WOW!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
When we had the ISDN lines, I also had a cheap 3com modem on the other side of a DPDT switch. When we weren't doing a session, we could switch the ISDN to the modem and it would convert the B channels to two more POTs lines for studio phones.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

We ditched ISDN about a year ago for the same reasons you describe. When ISDN is required by a client, we use this:

https://source-elements.com/products/isdnbridge

There's some added latency, but otherwise works great. Every remote voice talent we work with regularly has Source Connect.
Old 3 days ago
ISDN is still cheap here, less than $100/month but we are using it less and less. There is of course Source Connect but this recently came out, works very well and with almost no noticeable delay.

Connectionopen.com

I am involved with the software but it really is quite nice.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogandpony View Post
ISDN is still cheap here, less than $100/month ...
That's ridiculous! I don't think I've ever paid less than $100/month (at least not in the last 20 years)!

I'm wondering if I'm paying a PRI rate for BRI service because someone at AT&T didn't key in the correct code????
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I have successfully bridged using EDNet or Digifon.

You could also look at this and still use your ISDN box:
https://source-elements.com/products/visdn
Old 3 days ago
Keep in mind that it's the stations that are calling me, and so a bridge is not in the cards. I rarely dial out. If I do, it's Source Connect for a VO session, not live radio.
I'm just trying to find the IP replacement that most stations are moving to, as there are several competing systems and most are hardware based and incompatible with one another, usually. I've looked at Telos Z/IP One and while it seems like a contender, I can't find much about it on RadioDiscussions.com (a GearSlutz for radio). Any other forums for radio out there?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
... Any other forums for radio out there?
An excellent one at Radio & Production Magazine.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
An excellent one at Radio & Production Magazine.
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

$1500 per mo for ISDN here. And if your location changes you cannot get new service from AT&T in this area. Once disconnected, that's it. We moved a few years ago and when I tried to get my ISDN lines connected at the new location I spent over a week on the phone with every technical person I could connect with, only to find that no one, literally no one, knew what I was even talking about. Even though the websites still listed ISDN as a connectable service at reasonable rates (old web pages), they no longer offered it and the newer generation of techs don't even know what it is.

I only know of one studio that sill has ISDN and several VO guys I know have abandoned it. One, in particular, who images close to 40 radio & tv stations, offered to sell me his Zeyphr super cheap, said he had pulled it from the rack and it just sits in the closet in his studio...that was 4 years ago. He does all his directed sessions via skype, captures on his end, and sends files to clients. I do all of my directed sessions via Source Connect or good old phone patch.
BTW: There are some nice Telos boxes on the auction sites for almost giveaway prices.

When compared to other, outdated technology, to continue using ISDN today is like driving a 1988 Corolla.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
..When compared to other, outdated technology, to continue using ISDN today is like driving a 1988 Corolla.
True, but radio stations have a lot of 30 year old Toyotas because they still work reliably and some just don't trust the internet when it comes to live on-air material.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search