The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JBL Intonato 24 experiences?
Old 4th December 2018
Here for the gear

JBL Intonato 24 experiences?

Curious about other people's experiences with the JBL Intonato 24. We have had issues with it dropping the remote and muting all channels. Also unable to connect via the app when this happens. Resolves itself after several reboots. Anyone experiencing any similar?
Old 5th December 2018
Here for the gear

I am using the i24 for 6 months now. Remote works fine. iPad app tested, worked, but no use for me.
My issue is that it sometimes outputs a full level pink noise burst when changing a session with AES clock source. Need to mute the unit, but forget it time to time.
Anyone running same setup?

8x8x8 via AES to i24
clock source AES
version 1.1.9
firmware 1.0.13.0

Did not happen with SPL controller, so it is i24 related.
I tried to contact with Haman about this.

About your remote loss: I use a Netgear GS108PE ProSafe Plus 8-Port to connect
Old 6th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioflex View Post
I am using the i24 for 6 months now. Remote works fine. iPad app tested, worked, but no use for me.
My issue is that it sometimes outputs a full level pink noise burst when changing a session with AES clock source. Need to mute the unit, but forget it time to time.
I sold mine, but had the same issues with the Intonato outputting noise at full level when changing a session or shutting down ProTools. I basically had the same setup, AES into Intonato, just that my Clock was a Sync HD clocked to Word Clock
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipgod View Post
I sold mine, but had the same issues with the Intonato outputting noise at full level when changing a session or shutting down ProTools. I basically had the same setup, AES into Intonato, just that my Clock was a Sync HD clocked to Word Clock
wow, that's crazy and dangerous too. That happening in 85dB room every time you change a session?!
Old 6th December 2018
Lives for gear

i tested an early model/version(?) pretty soon after it became available: can't speak about any switching/playback functions but alignment options imo were barely useful compared to those offered by speaker processors and with the lack for interfacing with madi, i pretty much lost interest ...
Old 8th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Recalling different presets seemed buggy. Once everything was set up and untouched it's been performing well. Some little things here and there, but for the most part I'm happy. Except for that noise burst which is rather unfortunate!
Old 8th December 2018
I owned mine for about 3 months. It gave me nothing but headaches with zero support from the JBL.
It has so many issues that I cannot call it a professional device.
My happiest day in 2018 was the day when the store I bought it from agreed to accept it back and fully refund me (I lost about $600) on shipping though.
Beware of Intonato 24!
You can read about it here:
JBL Intonato Analog Output Sound Quality
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
wow, that's crazy and dangerous too. That happening in 85dB room every time you change a session?!
yes, it bursts at the level, you run the unit. randomly happens. most when you change sessions. if you open the same project/set-up, it seems to be alright.
Well, you should mute speakers before opening/closing sessions to avoid this.

no answer from JBl yet. So, as mgoorevich says, bad support.
Old 11th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, it bursts at the level, you run the unit. randomly happens. most when you change sessions. if you open the same project/set-up, it seems to be alright.
Well, you should mute speakers before opening/closing sessions to avoid this.

no answer from JBl yet. So, as mgoorevich says, bad support.
Yes but how do you mute the speakers when the unit with your speaker-mute outputs full scale white noise out all outputs?
Kind of defeats the purpose of the units no? Or do you walk over to all your amps and turn them off when you open a new session?
Old 11th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Yes but how do you mute the speakers when the unit with your speaker-mute outputs full scale white noise out all outputs?
Kind of defeats the purpose of the units no? Or do you walk over to all your amps and turn them off when you open a new session?
The "mute" button on the intonato remote works. It mutes the outputs. no noise. I used the SPL 2489 Controller before with the same setup. No bursts. Only thing I changed is clocking the i24 with AES, using 8x8x8 AES out. What I did not check: Running the i24 via 8x8x8 analog out....
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

We have 5 here at work and have not experienced this noise on switching sessions; which, since we work in advertising, we are doing constantly.

The big difference we have is that everything is locked to house sync (Video ref) and WC.

Randall

Quote:

8x8x8 via AES to i24
clock source AES
version 1.1.9
firmware 1.0.13.0

Did not happen with SPL controller, so it is i24 related.
I tried to contact with Haman about this.

About your remote loss: I use a Netgear GS108PE ProSafe Plus 8-Port to connect
Old 14th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post

The big difference we have is that everything is locked to house sync (Video ref) and WC.

Randall
Mine unit was also locked to WC (BTW:it doesn't have Video ref) and it had the described issue when changing the session.
Most probably you feed your unit via analog inputs and not AES ones. This is the only way folks here succeeded to use it.

However the auto EQ function is nonsense and doesn't work as it should.

The manual EQ is the worst sounding around making any even gentle adjustment resonating and distorting the drivers.
I never heard such a bed EQ testing in my room and I tried few within the same system, power amps and speakers.

This Samsung Intonato had no software update for more than an year.
I have written many emails to their support and never got a single response.

Do not through your money in the trash can.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

You are correct, 3 of the 5 units are using analog and the other two are using DANTE -> BluLink. I do have some AES returns (DP 570s) that are feeding the AES in that I could listen to, but I haven't noticed that issue yet.

You speak the truth about the AutoEQ. We ran the auto eq and checked it against our AcoustiX D2 calibration system and had to redo each room manually. I don't have a huge issue with the manual EQ outside of the fact that not all bands are in the same location. The sound is, to me, better than the BSS system it replaced - but if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you. IIRC, you also had some other issues with the BiAmping on it which would be a deal breaker, so I understand.

I send an email off with a list of things that should be fixed with the software , the iOS control software as well as asking for clarification as to where they sourced their Pink noise for calibration and why it was so far off. I will update everyone if I hear anything, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Mine unit was also locked to WC (BTW:it doesn't have Video ref) and it had the described issue when changing the session.
Most probably you feed your unit via analog inputs and not AES ones. This is the only way folks here succeeded to use it.

However the auto EQ function is nonsense and doesn't work as it should.

The manual EQ is the worst sounding around making any even gentle adjustment resonating and distorting the drivers.
I never heard such a bed EQ testing in my room and I tried few within the same system, power amps and speakers.

This Samsung Intonato had no software update for more than an year.
I have written many emails to their support and never got a single response.

Do not through your money in the trash can.
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

i have already wrote it in one of intonato's threads - but:

you guys should consider getting QSYS 110f device as monitor controller / room eq device

it has:

- lots of DSP
- flexibility - you can program whatever you want using QSC software (although it requires some time / knowledge)
- ipad control
- USB connection - works as audio interface (playback engine for protools)
- 8 analog inputs
- 8 analog outputs
- 8 "flex" inputs / outputs (that can be either input or output)
- 8 mic preamps

it does not have:

- AES / dante input, although it can be added as additional device
- other sample rates than 48000 kHz (if you need, you can have your protools session in different sample rate and different playback engine and use the QSYS analog inputs)

and it's not that pricey (comparing to other QSYS devices)

i am very happy with my setup
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

That is a nice unit. I can't speak for everyone, but there are two reasons we went with the Intonatos over other options:

1.) It was supposed to auto-eq - which would have saved me a bunch of headache as I am the one who has to manually do this.

2.) Had a good assortment of I/O that would fit nicely with the different functions of the rooms.

#2 it actually does well. Since our rooms at glorified edit suites (we mix promos/trailers/etc) they work really well. I wouldn't spec this for a dub stage, but for a smaller room where one is interfacing a bunch of different pieces of gear and needs a mix of AES/Analog and Dante/BluLink the intonato can work.

I am also not in a position where I can justify getting rid of it. We are on yearly budget cycles and just put them in this year.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post

you guys should consider getting QSYS 110f device as monitor controller / room eq device

it has:

- lots of DSP
- flexibility - you can program whatever you want using QSC software (although it requires some time / knowledge)
- ipad control
- 8 analog inputs
- 8 analog outputs
- 8 mic preamps

it does not have:

- other sample rates than 48000 kHz (if you need, you can have your protools session in different sample rate and different playback engine and use the QSYS analog inputs)

Old 14th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post

it has:

- lots of DSP
- ipad control
- 8 analog inputs
- 8 analog outputs
- 8 mic preamps

it does not have:

I agree. Actually the fully blown bigger QSC Qsys 510c with CIAES16 Card AES/EBU 16channel input + 3 x CODP4 Dataport output cards (for QSC Amps) will cost you just a bit more than the Intonato.
And it can do a hell more than Intonato ...intended to do but doesn't.
Old 14th December 2018
Quote:
...you also had some other issues with the BiAmping on it which would be a deal breaker, so I understand.

Randall
You are right but I didn't want to interrupt this post with the different issue Intonato has.
Sorry for my hatred posts about the Intonato but I have a reason -$$$ for that.
Old 14th December 2018
I just installed a QSC Core 110f in Studio A (7.1). Very happy with the sound and I got a good deal on eBay and bought 2 for 3k. These units are extremely powerful, and I'm going for a 510 for our upcoming Atmos room (stay tuned, pun intended).
Old 31st December 2018
Here for the gear

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a bit off topic (first time poster!), but I ordered the intonato a few days ago and came actoss this thread too late :-/. I might have sprung for the m908 if I had known about the noise burst and other dislikes. Anyway; I'll install and test it (7.1.4 setup).

My main question, if anyone can answer or re-direct me:

I'm looking for some way to connect a blu ray player to the intonato (for reference listening etc), but can't for the life of me find a solution. Blu Link is news to me, and no manufacturer seem to make a player with 25-pin output. Any help here would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Happy new years!
Old 2nd January 2019
Lives for gear

There were at a time a few HDMI to analog converters in the Hi-Fi world - pre amps and such. You can get an inexpensive receiver and use the PreAmp outs on the and send to the Intonato via analog.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETMUSlC View Post
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a bit off topic (first time poster!), but I ordered the intonato a few days ago and came actoss this thread too late :-/. I might have sprung for the m908 if I had known about the noise burst and other dislikes. Anyway; I'll install and test it (7.1.4 setup).

My main question, if anyone can answer or re-direct me:

I'm looking for some way to connect a blu ray player to the intonato (for reference listening etc), but can't for the life of me find a solution. Blu Link is news to me, and no manufacturer seem to make a player with 25-pin output. Any help here would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Happy new years!
Old 6th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
There were at a time a few HDMI to analog converters in the Hi-Fi world - pre amps and such. You can get an inexpensive receiver and use the PreAmp outs on the and send to the Intonato via analog.

Randall
Thanks Randall! Looking into receivers or HDMI->analog converters. I find it strange that there aren't more players with "studio grade" output though. I can't be the only person who's in the market for a way to "study" atmos mixes in a studio setting..? :-) Anyway; thanks again for the input!
Old 6th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Randall! Looking into receivers or HDMI->analog converters. I find it strange that there aren't more players with "studio grade" output though. I can't be the only person who's in the market for a way to "study" atmos mixes in a studio setting..? :-) Anyway; thanks again for the input!
Seems like a very small market, actually.
Old 16th January 2019
jhg
Lives for gear

Quote:
The best way to do it (not cheap mind you) is to use the Dolby DP580 decoder.
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

For the moment I have a "traditional" surround set up but I would like to change to a "pro" set up.

I have a few questions that may sound "dumb" as I'm not a professional. Sorry for that.

I have a set up in my mind but I'm not sure if this will work.

Components are:

-Oppo 203 blu ray player(7.1 analogue out has been modded to 7.1 AES out)

-Intonato 24

-JBL Synthesis SDA8300

-JBL 708i(LCR), JBL 705i(surrounds)

So....I would connect the Oppo via a custom cable to the AES in of the Intonato 24. Then the 24 will be connected to the SDA8300 via Blu link.

Now some questions:

1. Can I use the blu link out of the 24 when it receives the input via AES and not the blu link?

2. Is there any volume control on the Intonato24?

3. Does the Intonato24 has an "upmixer"? Via the Oppo I can only get 7.1, so no Dolby Atmos. Can I use the height channels when the 24 only receives a 7.1 signal?

Thank you in advance for any advice!!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

1. Can I use the blu link out of the 24 when it receives the input via AES and not the blu link? - yes.

2. Is there any volume control on the Intonato24? - yes

3. Does the Intonato24 has an "upmixer"? Via the Oppo I can only get 7.1, so no Dolby Atmos. Can I use the height channels when the 24 only receives a 7.1 signal? - no
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. Can I use the blu link out of the 24 when it receives the input via AES and not the blu link? - yes.

2. Is there any volume control on the Intonato24? - yes

3. Does the Intonato24 has an "upmixer"? Via the Oppo I can only get 7.1, so no Dolby Atmos. Can I use the height channels when the 24 only receives a 7.1 signal? - no
Just adding a tiny bit of clarity to#3 in the above post:

The Intonato is primarily an input/ output matrix. It has DSP for room and speaker EQ and speaker delay for aligning time of arrival, as well as crossover and EQ presets for a few select JBL speakers (including OP's 7081 and 705i speakers). But that's really it. It doesn't decode surround information. It sends specific audio channels to specific speakers. You will need a processor with discreet outputs in front of it to decode the surround information.
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Digging up this old thread.

Are there any updates on the noise burst matter?
Old 31st January 2020
Gear Head

Thought I'd throw my experience in. I bought one a few months ago and it's been working fairly well. I was pretty wary because of this thread, but I'm still using an Orion32 and needed an analog controller that supported 7.1, so I'm not using AES like the fella above experiencing the bursts. The software isn't great and the auto-room balance feature is pretty useless, but once you get it dialed in and your scenes setup, it's pretty hands off.

My biggest gripe is I wish there was a latch feature for the talkback on the remote so I could use both hands to work *while* actually talking to the talent. But all in all, until I can afford an MTRX, this is a decent solution at a nice price.
Old 1st February 2020
Gear Head

Ive owned one for about a year. At first I was disappointed. My controller kept cutting in out. Everyone complains about there customer support but I had just the opposite experience. They were on top of it. (Harman i believe is the company that handles it.) . I'm using analog into the JBL. I think the room eq is just fine. Ive done lots of room tuning in many different environments. Some slight adjustments (just like with every room correction software I've ever used) and your good to go. I run multiple configs as I switch from post production to music almost daily this thing is perfect for me. I have no loud pink noise issue as some have had. I believe they fixed this in the software by auto muting when changing Sample rate ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendmik View Post

My biggest gripe is I wish there was a latch feature for the talkback on the remote so I could use both hands to work *while* actually talking to the talent. But all in all, until I can afford an MTRX, this is a decent solution at a nice price.
I will second that! Or at least have a foot switch option
Old 2nd February 2020
Lives for gear

I've got FWAPPP one in my work bay and it's FWAPPP fine.
📝 Reply