The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hare - rabbit fighting - do they make any sound?
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have a hare/rabbit figt in a establishing shot.
Would be fun if they do make any sounds.
But in the youtube videos I have found they don't.

Can I add something?
Should I avoid adding something to not make it to obviously fake?
If I don't add the viewer may actually miss out what is happening...
This is just a establishing shot, story wise unimnportant, sound wise it would be fun though.

Any thoughts on the subject?
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Head

Rabbits make a short throaty grunt when feeling threatened, but don't have an 'attack' vocalisation afaik.

It's an interesting point that if there is an actual sound, it's one that is not commonly known and could be more distracting than anything if added to the action. Like the classic bald eagle/red tailed hawk cliche. Imagine a petition for ornithological accuracy in film and all those mighty eagle calls had to be replaced with the real world chalky screech
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

Since so few people will know what it actually sounds like, you should treat it like a Kung fu or action movie.
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

Some rabbits make more noise than others.....For instance Bugs Bunny is often quite vocal, I think he has too much to say for himself.
Old 14th November 2018
You probably need scrabbling sounds, even if the animal isn't making a sound itself. Their violent movement will disturb earth, so you can add slightly scratching and thumping dirt sounds, and/or rustling grass/undergrowth.
I imagine there is a slight impact sound also, so a feint thumping as the blows hit.
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Since so few people will know what it actually sounds like, you should treat it like a Kung fu or action movie.
LMAO - well not quite that type of show but yeas that would be fun!
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for all your feedback.
So realistically, no sound it is.
To bad, they wont be close enough to create stomping noise that will be able to "carry" over the music that inevitable will play during that shot.

So I guess I'll just add a pig squeal with verb so I have something to mute during the mix.
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

If they get injured they make a sound like a baby crying, it's pretty creepy.
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

There's no way to add sfx to a rabbit rumble without it sounding fake. My advice would to be not to even try and have fun with it. Give it the most over-the-top six with the most wood breaking bone crushing whip-snapping sounds possible. Add some bunny banter and you have a winner.

Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

YouTube
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post

Thank you!
Until you posted that, I had assumed this to be the definitive example:
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

Rabbits thump when they are angry/annoyed with their back legs (hard enough it seems like they are trying to scare their aggressor off) and they have a high pitched squeak when injured ("baby cry"). But there's no real vocalizations during a fight.
Old 14th November 2018
Try something like this:

Rabbit: “Who you looking at?”
Hare: “ Who YOU looking at?”
Rabbit: You want some of me [email protected]*$#%[email protected]£*er?”
Hare: Come and get it pu•$¥”

Lots of sound effects like BIFF! POW! BOSH! Etc.

Last edited by Zyzygis; 14th November 2018 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: Misspelled [email protected]*$#%[email protected]£*er
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Yep ill try a mix of Kung fu screams and Hollywood fight sounds and see if it gels...
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

Hello there! Maybe your bunnies are not fighting, but just playing with each other? You might get their games as aggressive behavior. I am not a bunny expert, but I currently have two rabbits. I noticed that they have their own ways to communicate not only with each other but with humans as well. They make a lot of different noises and movements, and everything means something. This is their way to say us something. I’ve read on petsoid an article about their body language. Check it, maybe you will find an answer to your question.
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantone View Post
It's an interesting point that if there is an actual sound, it's one that is not commonly known and could be more distracting than anything if added to the action. Like the classic bald eagle/red tailed hawk cliche. Imagine a petition for ornithological accuracy in film and all those mighty eagle calls had to be replaced with the real world chalky screech
We worked on a flying theater themepark ride where the director and client were calling for absolute accuracy of the animals and nature sounds. The main featured animal was a bald eagle. Guess what happened when we put in the correct sounds...

Needless to say the red-tailed hawk is what made it into the final.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
We worked on a flying theater themepark ride where the director and client were calling for absolute accuracy of the animals and nature sounds. The main featured animal was a bald eagle. Guess what happened when we put in the correct sounds...

Needless to say the red-tailed hawk is what made it into the final.
That wasn't the Aguila Theater in the Philippines by any chance, was it?
Old 9th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
That wasn't the Aguila Theater in the Philippines by any chance, was it?
Nope. Didn't work on that one. I don't want to say which ride, as it's a good client and director, but that one situation was pretty funny.
Old 9th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Nope. Didn't work on that one. I don't want to say which ride, as it's a good client and director, but that one situation was pretty funny.
Cool, was just looking at your site and I've worked on AV systems for Super78, MacGillivray Freeman, Wanda group as well. TrioTech, maybe? Small world.

*sorry to high jack, BTW, rabbits fighting should sound like the Ewoks banter.
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
Cool, was just looking at your site and I've worked on AV systems for Super78, MacGillivray Freeman, Wanda group as well. TrioTech, maybe? Small world.

*sorry to high jack, BTW, rabbits fighting should sound like the Ewoks banter.
Hi Jerry,
I've worked with most all of those companies as well. Small world
As I said, I'm not really comfortable revealing which client or attraction this was, as they are great clients, this was just an amusing situation.

As for the hare fight, I think it depends on the perspective, wide shot? distant? close-up? foreground? background? etc. Some foley or design appropriate to the perspective as well as some vocalizations if they support the picture would make sense to me, but it all depends on context.
Old 11th July 2020
Lives for snowflakes

Old 12th July 2020
Lives for gear

it is really funny and interesting how some threads keep living...
While the original question has well passed its due date, by all means keep on keeping on.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear