The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Current State of Telephone Hybrids
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Current State of Telephone Hybrids

In my days in radio, we didn't have VoIP. We had old-school POTS lines. The options then were analog hybrids that did a just-okay job nulling the announcer audio out of the caller audio, and there were digital hybrids that cost more and did a better job. I think the Telos system was the cream of the crop but cost a couple thousand bucks.

Today there's VoIP (as my podcast client has), and we've been getting by just taking a headphone jack feed off the studio phone. Not great.

How do we stand these days? Are there affordable, well-performing hybrids for POTS and VoIP lines? I know I shouldn't expect too much for $200 (which seems to be the current entry point for POTS hybrids) but what kinds of options are there?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Have you looked at Source Connect Now?

Source-Connect Now / Source Elements
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Lots of equipment out there I guess just do a search on Google.

FWIW
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
JK makes some low-cost devices that tap into the headset jack on a standard phone, using the phone's basic network to sort out 2-wire into 4-wire... or, essentially, give you the functionality of a decent hybrid for little $.

I've put hybrid functionality into many of my versions of the Eventide production package. Or you can rig up a quickie hybrid using any console that has a phase-flip switch on one of its channels... or use a random transformer or op amp for the phase flip. The only custom construction you need is some way to patch the phone line itself into both an input and an output, without having the output load down the phone signal.... like, by building a Y-cable with a 1k resistor in series with one plug.

But if all you're interested in doing is tap the signal, without worrying about sorting local from distant caller, you can use a basic QKT circuit like the Rolls P19 ($50). Or build one for $10 or less, depending on what functions you need.

Circuits (and procedures for implementing a hybrid from a console) are all over the web. Or ask in this thread.

----------

The pix is one of the ~$10 jobbies I threw together years ago.
- The 'seize/tap' switch shorts a cap that normally protects the phone line from DC continuity across the transformer primary. When the cap's in series (tap), you use the box in parallel with a phone. When it's shorted (seize), the phone line sees the transformer as an active phone and you can hang up the one that made the call.
- The rec/play switch: In Rec, the transformer secondary goes to tip of a TRS used for output; a version with about a 10 dB pad goes to ring. This lets me record 2 channels at different levels, so I can optimize one for local and one for distant without getting extra noise or clipping. When it's in Play, tip and ring of the same plug are used as input, shorted together so you can send L+R down the phone line.
- The transformer is a spare 600:600 repeat coil I had lying around. A modem transformer would work as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Current State of Telephone Hybrids-qkt2.jpg  

Last edited by Jay Rose; 1 week ago at 09:15 PM.. Reason: added explanation of box
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use Skype to receive and make calls. Cost is minimal in the scheme of things.
Patch via Source Nexus or Lightpipe.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
A popular one (especially with Radio station creatives) here is a simple app called Telephone (Mac only I think). I sue it with Soundflower to route I/O straight into ProTools Ultimate, as an alternative to SourceConnect. Works well.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
I use Skype to receive and make calls. Cost is minimal in the scheme of things.
Patch via Source Nexus or Lightpipe.
Hey Vedat... Is that Vedat from Envy? Yeeoow!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Hey Vedat... Is that Vedat from Envy? Yeeoow!
Yeah dude.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search