The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD | AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip Consoles
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

UAD | AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is UA's first plugin aimed directly at re-recording mixers.

UAD | AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip

I'm not fortunate enough to have ever mixed on one of the consoles. It seems like a pretty full featured channel strip. Are the sonics of the DFC Channel Strip the "cats ass" or should I not get excited?

From the website:

The UAD AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip is not a modeled version of the console's channel strip — it is the channel strip. Because the DFC uses the same floating-point architecture as the UAD platform, the developers at AMS Neve were able to map the console’s DSP, instruction for instruction, providing the plug-in with the identical algorithms, features, and sound as the original.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

cool. Might have to get a UAD engine now!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm more excited about the 480L
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I'm more excited about the 480L
Word, I need to try that too. I've got the 224 already and use it a lot.

One instance takes 19% of a DSP in both mono and stereo. No mention of a 5.1 or other multichannel version.

Last edited by Tapwatr; 1 week ago at 02:51 PM..
Old 1 week ago
I have mixed on the DFC, and even though the channel strip is nice and the dynamics are loved by many film mixers, I wouldn't make a hissy fit if I didn't have one (yeah OK, I'm a System5 guy).
But having this as an option within UAD is cool. I'll probably spring for a 3rd UAD box pretty soon. Maybe Thunderbolt this time. A real shame that the USB3 box is windows only. I still don't get that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Can somebody with experience with DFC try to describe what is special about the dynamics?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You'd need a lot of UADs to use this effectively in a post mix. A single instance uses 60% of a, single chip.
Furthermore, I think the channel was "amazing" in a period when you didn't have other options. It's like the System 5 channel strip now available in protools.
Loved it in the day. But have no need for it now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
You'd need a lot of UADs to use this effectively in a post mix. A single instance uses 60% of a, single chip.
Furthermore, I think the channel was "amazing" in a period when you didn't have other options. It's like the System 5 channel strip now available in protools.
Loved it in the day. But have no need for it now.
Having had chance to run the demo but this doesn't seem accurate. According to UAD it's 19% of one chip per instance and people in the announcement thread are saying how light it is.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I've always loved the dynamics on our AMS Neve consoles. In my memory (for what that's worth) they sounded better than current large digital consoles.
However, there are many plug in compressors that sound very very good.
So I personally think it's a bit pointless, this plug in.
I don't mix movies, who knows, maybe this eq and compressor work very well for that.

Huub

Last edited by huub; 6 days ago at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I dont use compressors or limiters on individual tracks.
A single band dynamic eq is irrelevant, when TD Nova gives me 6. Which I use on my main CX processor channel.
No need for a gate or expander.
Which leaves the Eq.

I love UAD plugins, but this si a bit irrelevant to me.
Wish they'd release an emulation of a great surround reverb like the 960 or TCTC6000 instead.
Old 6 days ago
Am I right in thinking the only way to try it is if you own a UA interface or DSP?

I’d be interested to give it a demo but not if I have to buy hardware I don’t need.

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermisonic View Post
Am I right in thinking the only way to try it is if you own a UA interface or DSP?

I’d be interested to give it a demo but not if I have to buy hardware I don’t need.

Rob Walker AMPS
Yes, 100% you need a UAD card.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I’m seeing 19% with the demo as well. And I would LOVE some of the TC 6000 algorithms on UAD, especially in surround. Not holding my breath though.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Seems I mixed up the CPU usage of the 480L and the Harrison plugin.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search