The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADR Session Crashing Constantly DAW Software
Old 14th September 2018
  #1
Here for the gear
 

ADR Session Crashing Constantly

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here.
Working on a mac using the latest version of PT 12 HD.

I've just received an ADR session from an outside studio and it crashes every 5 minutes or so. None of the other sessions I'm working on today are acting like this so it's probably not a global preferences issue, but just to be sure I have trashed prefs and still have the issue. I have removed auto-created files from the sample pool. There are no plug ins in the session, just audio with some fades here and there.

What is really perplexing is I have imported all the audio using "force to session format" into a new session and the new session also crashes repeatedly...

Back in the Pre .ptx days I had a similar issue that was resolved by dumping the fades folder and letting pro tools recalculate fades, but since the Pro Tools 10-12 era began I've not had an issue that made me think of such a thing. Did some googling and didn't see that there is any way to dump and recalculate fades now. Is there? Could this be the issue even after pulling all audio into a new session?

I'm on a tight deadline to deliver to a mix and I'm afraid I'm going to pass along whatever corruption is lurking into the mix session. I'm out of ideas and need to keep working, so I'm hoping one of you lovely people might have some suggestions about what I should try next.

Thanks!
Old 14th September 2018
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

I'd take a quick look at the Audio Files folder and see if there's a file in there that somehow doesn't belong - different sample rate, filetype, creation date, anything that seems different from the others. I know that seems illogical, but since you're looking for ideas...
Old 14th September 2018
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnykeyes View Post
I'd take a quick look at the Audio Files folder and see if there's a file in there that somehow doesn't belong - different sample rate, filetype, creation date, anything that seems different from the others. I know that seems illogical, but since you're looking for ideas...
I'm currently working from the version I made by importing all audio into a new session using "force to target format", so they are all newly created files that have been forced to be the same file type, sample rate, and bit depth.
Old 14th September 2018
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheWind View Post
I'm currently working from the version I made by importing all audio into a new session using "force to target format", so they are all newly created files that have been forced to be the same file type, sample rate, and bit depth.
Of course, I understand that. I just meant to check that Pro Tools actually did convert everything properly - sometimes it misbehaves when confronted with a file that doesn't fit, so it might have imported something, maybe even something that doesn't appear in the session tracks, that's messing things up. I find these kinds of anomalies importing OMFs and AAFs sometimes, but maybe the original ADR session started with a bad OMF..?
Old 14th September 2018
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnykeyes View Post
Of course, I understand that. I just meant to check that Pro Tools actually did convert everything properly - sometimes it misbehaves when confronted with a file that doesn't fit, so it might have imported something, maybe even something that doesn't appear in the session tracks, that's messing things up. I find these kinds of anomalies importing OMFs and AAFs sometimes, but maybe the original ADR session started with a bad OMF..?
I did take a look and it seems like everything was converted to 48k / 24bit / .wav.

The ADR team did not have an AAF or OMF so it's not that.

Looks like I'm still stuck for now, session continues to crash repeatedly.

Any additional ideas from the community would be much appreciated.
Old 14th September 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
celticrogues's Avatar
 

The safest way may be to start with a blank (new) session and re-import and spot to timeline all the audio files, one at a time. If you find one that causes your session to crash you know that’s the culprit.

-Mikey
Old 16th September 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
nucelar's Avatar
 

Does the session contain video?
Old 17th September 2018
  #8
Are there any groups? In a couple rare instances I have seen a corrupt group cause this. Deleting the affected group solve the problem. Just a thought.
Old 20th September 2018
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPx View Post
Are there any groups? In a couple rare instances I have seen a corrupt group cause this. Deleting the affected group solve the problem. Just a thought.
No groups, but that is good to know! I've never encountered that so I'll keep that in mind next time I'm troubleshooting.

Never did track it down, luckily whichever file was the issue wasn't a take that we eded up needing for the mix so all good on this one for now.

Thanks all! I appreciate the attempts to help
Old 20th September 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Check the naming of the clips and files. Make sure that there are no illegal characters - things like !, @, &, etc) This could also happen if the recordist was working on a computer setup for a different language.

Randall


Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheWind View Post
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster here.
Working on a mac using the latest version of PT 12 HD.

I've just received an ADR session from an outside studio and it crashes every 5 minutes or so. None of the other sessions I'm working on today are acting like this so it's probably not a global preferences issue, but just to be sure I have trashed prefs and still have the issue. I have removed auto-created files from the sample pool. There are no plug ins in the session, just audio with some fades here and there.

What is really perplexing is I have imported all the audio using "force to session format" into a new session and the new session also crashes repeatedly...

Back in the Pre .ptx days I had a similar issue that was resolved by dumping the fades folder and letting pro tools recalculate fades, but since the Pro Tools 10-12 era began I've not had an issue that made me think of such a thing. Did some googling and didn't see that there is any way to dump and recalculate fades now. Is there? Could this be the issue even after pulling all audio into a new session?

I'm on a tight deadline to deliver to a mix and I'm afraid I'm going to pass along whatever corruption is lurking into the mix session. I'm out of ideas and need to keep working, so I'm hoping one of you lovely people might have some suggestions about what I should try next.

Thanks!
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump