The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best de-essers for post? Dynamics Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Best de-essers for post?

I'm shopping again. I've been sneaking by for a while now with only average de-essers. Demo'ing the following plug-ins now:

DMG Essence

Eiosis E2 Deesser

Oxford Supresser

Any other recommendations?

I've been using Waves and Avid de-essers for a while, but I feel limited by them, and often end up stacking a RenDeEsser and and Avid Pro Comp to achieve what I should be doing in one plug-in.
Old 2 weeks ago
Fabfilter Pro-DS here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Fabfilter Pro DS is great, best feature set and sound is top quality. If you have Izotope RX6 check out their RX De-ess as an insert. Once you figure out the spectral tilt and shaping in Spectral mode you can really dial it in nice. Both have the ability to listen to what's crossing the threshold which is very useful .
Old 2 weeks ago
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
I'm shopping again. I've been sneaking by for a while now with only average de-essers. Demo'ing the following plug-ins now:

DMG Essence

Eiosis E2 Deesser

Oxford Supresser

Any other recommendations?

I've been using Waves and Avid de-essers for a while, but I feel limited by them, and often end up stacking a RenDeEsser and and Avid Pro Comp to achieve what I should be doing in one plug-in.
I own all of those and many more, and IMO nothing is can compete head on with the Weiss in terms of transparency.

Softube - Weiss Deess
Old 2 weeks ago
I deess with RX6 Spectral Repair. Much more precise than a catch-all deesser.
I do use the Fabfilter ProDS, for slight sibilance on some dialogue, but not to remove a specific S.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don't forget Soothe.

Awesome tool especially against tricky actors that do a mix of whistle and sh-sounds rather than laboratory perfect S-es.

Otherwise RX and manual removal is the best way.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

spl and weiss - or still 'handmade' by using the sidechain of whatever comp you like
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
I do use the Fabfilter ProDS, for slight sibilance on some dialogue, but not to remove a specific S.
Agreed, this is really the best method for the very problematic esses. I find the magic wand tool really useful with the attenuation set to 0.2 or 0.3. Like you I use plug ins just to take the edge off.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Expanding my demo list to the following:

DMG Essence

Eiosis E2 Deesser

Fabfilter Pro DS

Oxford Supresser

Harrison AVA De-Esser

Weiss Deess

RX De-ess

I never knew this would be such a rabbit hole of options. I love DMG's software, but Essence jumps from being too gentle to being too deep too quickly. Love the Q adjustments, though. Eiosis makes cool software, but this one is too colored for my taste. Maybe it's a music mixer's tool. Fabfilter sounds great, even though the number of controls are lacking. I want to love Oxford, and I've spent a long time learning it and trying to make it sound as good as the others, but it just isn't happening for me. Harrison sounds good, but the depth only goes to 12, and it's a little crude. Weiss sounds really good, a lot like Fabfilter. Unlike Oxford, all the Weiss deep controls are really working for me. But then RX is the surprise. I think I like it more than Fabfilter, and I already own it. I wish the RX controls were more elaborate like Essence or Weiss, but it does a lot of work even in classic mode without clouding the highs.

More listening is required, but my first impressions are that Fabfilter, Weiss, and RX stand out.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

(and P.S., in a perfect world, we would all manually de-ess in Spectral Repair, but very often I have to mix more quickly than that, and you can't globally trim the ratio or threshold afterwards, so real-time plug-ins are needed here.)
Old 2 weeks ago
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
(and P.S., in a perfect world, we would all manually de-ess in Spectral Repair, but very often I have to mix more quickly than that, and you can't globally trim the ratio or threshold afterwards, so real-time plug-ins are needed here.)
Yes, indeed. I love RX and use it daily to remove unwanted stuff - today it was some clown whistling at an inappropriate time during a live cut - but there is still something to be said about using a great analog and digital de-esser as a firm HF boundary for the entire program.

I find that on some sparse acoustic stuff I will spectral edit the entire thing and keep the de-esser off, but on denser stuff I enjoy the HF consistency that a good de-esser delivers. I use a combo Maselec HW + Weiss SW, each doing just a tick here and there, to great effect.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

TDR Nova
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The FabFilter ProDS really does sound great, out of all the FabFilter plugins it's by far my favorite. It can really bring the sibilance down without destroying it. Weiss is good but I didn't realize they offered an AAX version. Neat.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've tried Essence, EiOisis, Fabfilter, waves, etc. I happened to buy the Weiss DS-1 for music mixing and then started using it for trailer VO and dialogue. Its de-essing handily beats the rest for transparency. As MP1 stated, Weiss has a standlone de-esser. If I didn't have the DS-1, I would absolutely go for that.

At any rate, lots of de-essers to test drive, but don't overlook Weiss.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Fabfilter sounds great, even though the number of controls are lacking.
I'm curious. What controls do you find missing?
Old 1 week ago
Motown legend

One size definitely does not fit all!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Fabfilter pro ds, rx in standalone, and weiss are in heavy use here. Also a fair amount of clip-gain de-essing. I prefer to go in manual where ever i can before de-essing in earnest.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I would also add McDSP's SA-2.

As a addition to other deessers.

Kuba
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

On channels.
Clip gain, or sometimes Mcdsp sa2.

Izotope Rx if the esses has nasty frequencies.

Doesn't work for me with deesser on dialog bus.
Don't want to change amount of deessing if I rebalance a scene.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I use McDsp SA2 in gentle and vari mode on my dialog bus pretty regularly. I try to avoid plug-ins, which induce high latency.
Previously my 1st choice had been the Massey De-Esser.

RX6 via RX connect for all problematic stuff

Last edited by matt-o-; 1 week ago at 11:36 PM.. Reason: additional comment
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapwatr View Post
I'm curious. What controls do you find missing?
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Once size definitely does not fit all. But to the question, Fabfilter sounds good, but on the Weiss, you get ratio and attack time. Sometimes after my frequency, width, and threshold are right, the range vs. the ratio gives different results. On all of these, I was surprised by how deep you might set the threshold on tricky material, while using a small range. And the Weiss has two filters (yes, I know I could use two Fabfilter plugs, but that's cumbersome).

To my ears, Weiss delivers results and is less likely to cloud the top end. Really good. Fabfilter is almost there, and is probably faster to use. I already have SA2 in my chain, but I've never relied on it for laser-accurate 'ess' removal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use a combo of Fab Filter and SA2 plus now the AE600 on a bus
Old 1 week ago
I banned all McDSP from my workflow because their unfair policy where they locked owner transfer option for all v5 plugins.
Same thing regarding Sonnox.
These guys should stop practicing their non transferable policy... it's 2018!
Fabfiletr DS is the way to go for post.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I still really, really LOVE Massey De:Esser on my individual tracks. Best 99$ I’ve ever spent. Tried Fabfilter, but somehow it didn’t work for me. (I know lots of people like it a lot). soothe or SA2 on the buss (not necessarily for esses, but harshness) and iZotope for the really obnoxious whistles.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

FabFilter ProMB has control over attack parameter.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

For me, the best solution is Fab Filter Pro DS and Izotope RX 6. I did a lot of tests with different plug-ins with the most unpleasant "ssss". Including there were situations with cheap microphones and with smartphones.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
+1 more here.

And also clip gain.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search