The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Raven mti2 - anyone using it? Control Surfaces
Old 4th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
Good suggestion but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a control surface? You have to wrok in trim? I would rather have a controller that works in any audomation mode
When I’m working, I use all automation modes, but you where talking about reviews with clients..
I usually start playback with all the faders in trim and Zero fader noise. Small fixes are still done in trim mode (Hey, can you lower that cue a little?), for more complicated stuff I switch automation modes again..
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post
When I’m working, I use all automation modes, but you where talking about reviews with clients..
I usually start playback with all the faders in trim and Zero fader noise. Small fixes are still done in trim mode (Hey, can you lower that cue a little?), for more complicated stuff I switch automation modes again..
I get that. I'm not willing to give up functionality for cheaper gear. Just switching to a s3 fixed the issue. Artist controllers are actually really fast for mixing in pro tools but build quality is just too cheap for me.
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Agreed, I switched to a S3 long ago. But I can remember having to find fadercaps in the back of my studio when closing a session and the Artist faders slammed down ;-)
Old 5th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post
Agreed, I switched to a S3 long ago. But I can remember having to find fadercaps in the back of my studio when closing a session and the Artist faders slammed down ;-)
Yeah, that happened to me as well.
Old 7th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulishious.Bird View Post
General question, is it not possible to buy a touchscreen like this:
Acer T272HULbmidpcz 68,6cm Monitor schwarz: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehor
Then I buy a license on touch base and i got the same results as I have the raven ? Perhaps stupid question, sorry.
The Raven isn't just the screen, they also include a mixer/macro player application with a pretty thorough HUI implementation. The screen itself isn't quite useable, because you can't multitouch the Pro Tools mix window by itself, if you need to move more than one fader at a time you're SOL.
Old 7th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
The Raven isn't just the screen, they also include a mixer/macro player application with a pretty thorough HUI implementation. The screen itself isn't quite useable, because you can't multitouch the Pro Tools mix window by itself, if you need to move more than one fader at a time you're SOL.
You can grab as many faders as you have fingers on the Raven, the software lays on top of the Protools mix window. I use it everyday
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

The question has been asked before on GS, but I don't think I've seen a clear answer;

Has anyone happily switched from fysical faders to Raven?
Is it possible/nice to use virtual faders and watch the video screen at the same time?

Thanks

Huub
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Is it possible/nice to use virtual faders and watch the video screen at the same time?

Thanks

Huub
No.
Old 10th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
No.
funny, i do it everyday
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

It has been several years since I last touched a Raven, but this is what I remember. If you place your fingers on the virtual faders and don't lift them, you can move your hands anywhere on the screen(as might happen if you look up from the Raven at a TV or projected image) and the faders will still track up and down. IE, you don't have to keep your hands exactly on the faders...

Not really the same as physical faders, but it is something that one can get used to.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
The question has been asked before on GS, but I don't think I've seen a clear answer;

Has anyone happily switched from fysical faders to Raven?

Thanks

Huub
Old 10th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisser View Post
funny, i do it everyday
I have a feeling this is a highly subjective subject
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I recently mixed a feature on one of these and I had to stop using it after a day, my arm just wore out and there were tons of little Ick problems (I ended up just using the mouse). I’m tempted to write up my experience thoroughly, I think the hardware has some potential but I’m not sure they put their best foot forward with the software. It’ll never replace faders and a console, and trying to do that kinda hurts them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I recently mixed a feature on one of these and I had to stop using it after a day, my arm just wore out and there were tons of little Ick problems (I ended up just using the mouse). I’m tempted to write up my experience thoroughly, I think the hardware has some potential but I’m not sure they put their best foot forward with the software. It’ll never replace faders and a console, and trying to do that kinda hurts them.
Would like to read your rundown of doing a fullup movie job on one of these...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm thinking that the marketing sort of shows what the primary target customer is, and it isn't post engineers for the most part. So i doubt it hurts their business much since we're not the focus.

Your experience is as i expected though.
Old 1 week ago
I too am selling mine as well. - 2 Slate Media Technology RAVEN MTi2 27" Multi-Touch Monitor "Pair" "Dual" | eBay
Not sure the direction i'm going to go..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I will say this, when my filmmakers saw the room they thought they were getting the fanciest mix in town with the most cutting-edge equipment available -- total Minority Report effect, they've been excitedly sending BTS pictures to their financiers all week. After a while they started to notice I wasn't using it and I had to start explaining the problems and they were less impressed. These clients are just starting out and don't have much background in post.

OTOH another client of mine saw the room on a tour, he's not particularly technical but has a lot of experience post supervising features and he was quite skeptical.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will say this, when my filmmakers saw the room they thought they were getting the fanciest mix in town with the most cutting-edge equipment available -- total Minority Report effect, they've been excitedly sending BTS pictures to their financiers all week. After a while they started to notice I wasn't using it and I had to start explaining the problems and they were less impressed. These clients are just starting out and don't have much background in post.

OTOH another client of mine saw the room on a tour, he's not particularly technical but has a lot of experience post supervising features and he was quite skeptical.
lol, yea ..looks do matter for "marketing" .. but these things are a pain in the ass!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I too am selling mine as well. - 2 Slate Media Technology RAVEN MTi2 27" Multi-Touch Monitor "Pair" "Dual" | eBay
Not sure the direction i'm going to go..
do you know how easy/hard it is to sell with the license ? ..I might get rid of mine aswell
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
do you know how easy/hard it is to sell with the license ? ..I might get rid of mine aswell
You go through support with slate and move the licenses to the buyers ilok acct far as I know
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
lol, yea ..looks do matter for "marketing" .. but these things are a pain in the ass!
I'm more than likely get a second 27 inch cintiq
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I'm more than likely get a second 27 inch cintiq
My thought was that it would be like a Cintiq, and those have some pedigree in post, some dialogue mixers love them. But the Z3 can't seem to use a stylus and fingers aren't precise enough to do things like, say, close a plugin window, and trying to use your finger with keyboard modifiers was always very clumsy.
Old 1 week ago
The cintiq are far better at normal touch things

Quote:
My thought was that it would be like a Cintiq, and those have some pedigree in post, some dialogue mixers love them. But the Z3 can't seem to use a stylus and fingers aren't precise enough to do things like, say, close a plugin window, and trying to use your finger with keyboard modifiers was always very clumsy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i used a large cintiq for a few years(which also had pen or touch), is real nice if all your doing is adjusting points/trim/volume, but does start to get tiring since your moving your entire arm. I went back to a mouse, i have also used a bunch of multitouch stuff, but really I want to get a s6 eventually. It's real hard to beat a mouse though, the moving my entire arm is what gets me with any of the touch stuff when I have to move frequently between windows.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search