The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Firewall Hardware for studio
Old 14th August 2018
Gear Addict

Firewall Hardware for studio

Hi,

Just wondering what (or IF??) everyone is using for a hardware firewall box across their studio. Its for a 1 user studio, no servers etc - basically just keep people out! Worked on a few jobs that had specific security requirements the facility had to cover so I'd like to cover those kind of eventualities in my own place (or as much as possible considering the smaller infrastructure)

I've seen Sonicwall and Barracuda in big facilities but they are overkill for my setup so I'm thinking a smaller solution like a Netgear Prosafe would suit.
Thanks
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

Hi, bumping to this old thread. I'm in the need for a HW firewall for our studio with approx 20 computers. I looked at this box linked above and also at some zyxel boxes with good ratings I saw. I have really no idea what people are using.
I'm quite upset because I'm seeing logged failed attempts from all over to our internal ftp server and remote access software.
How does it work on practice? Our servers are sw protected individually, I know how the windows firewall works, but on a whole network?
Thanks!!
Old 27th June 2020
Lives for gear

Check your PM
Old 28th June 2020
Lives for gear

I‘m a Cisco certified network engineer and know a thing or two about all things IP.
A firewall is a concept and policy, not a box you put somewhere in the rack and are good.
If you know where in the OSI stack the different protocols work, what ports and mechanisms the different protocols use etc. set up the firewall yourself.
If you don’t have a Professional design your IP environment.
You don’t want your networking consultant to edit and mix her own moving images content either.
Old 28th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
How does it work on practice? Our servers are sw protected individually, I know how the windows firewall works, but on a whole network?
Thanks!!
If you have basic IP knowledge you can start here to learn about how packtet filtering and similar stuff works. For Iptables you just need a computer with Linux.
https://www.booleanworld.com/depth-g...inux-firewall/
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks all for the suggestions, the subject is complex certainly, Not only the operational aspects,but to define a proper policy for the actual workplace.
Old 30th June 2020
Here for the gear

Our studio underwent a third party cyber security audit a little over a year ago. It was an expensive and intensive audit. A good firewall and proper IT policies are essential but far from everything a studio should be doing to keep their network(s) safe. Physical security, training for employees and solid anti-virus programs are also needed. Don't skimp on a firewall. Buy a good appliance that updates firmware regularly to keep up with the security threats that are constantly evolving.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear