The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
MCDSP NR800 (demo)
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

MCDSP NR800 (demo)

I just listened to the demo for MCDSP NR800. I like MCDSP in general, the SA2 is mighty useful for instance. I like their idea of a sort of Cedar-like non-artifact approach to NR in real time in the NR800 plug in, but was wondering if anyone was using this plug on real jobs? I ask because in the demo they push the NR to the point where the character of the speaker's voice is really audibly altered. Not boxy or with artifacts, but kind of lifeless compared to the original with the noise. If I encountered that track on a job (close voice well recorded with light HVAC BG) I'd be tempted to either leave it be or do something much less drastic to the BG noise, because I missed the original "something" of her voice that's going away with the BG noise. So have you found this plug useful if you don't push it as hard as they do in the demo? Or at that point is it more or less like other soluttions?
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Since it only out since yesterday I don't think many people have actually used it on a proper mix. I've tried it and it is nice. Of course you can dial in the amount of reduction to the point where it is very useable and it might be more transparant than iZotope dialogue denoiser, but don't quote me on that yet. It has many parameters and options to tweak. Need more time with it, though.
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Addict

Just tried it here, against cedar dns one.
Serious, serious contender. Really serious stuff.
[BSeems to be gentle on dsp, no latency[/B].
No artifacts in a well recorded indoor scene, but with noise background - (light traffic and a little bit of background voice)
Really good on outdoor scene with light background traffic too.
because I`m used to cedar one I think it has an excess of controls to do the same thing, but the snap is a good start point...
The filters are a good addition.

For me much better than Waves WNS.
As an "online" tool, also is much better than Izotope plug-ins, that has tons of latency.
And with a price that is 6% of a cedar dns one, it is a no-brainer decision

Audiodeluxe is slashing the intro price in over 20%

Appreciate

Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz View Post
J
And with a price that is 6% of a cedar dns one, it is a no-brainer decision
Hm, a 100$ no-brainer...

It looks extremely fiddly to set and tweak. Isn't it just a multi-band expander in a new wrapping?
The voice demos on the site sound terrible to me, btw.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Hm, a 100$ no-brainer...

It looks extremely fiddly to set and tweak. Isn't it just a multi-band expander in a new wrapping?
I haven’t hears the demo, but I suggest you try it yourself.

It is far from terrible, gave me excellent results with the standard dialog preset. You can tweak as much or little as you want.
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Agreed. Sounded better with the plugin off. Ha.

Love McDSP though.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hm, a 100$ no-brainer...

I agree...
First it's even less... $83.99 at audiodeluxe

I bought it because it's another tool that just might be the key for helping out on some noisy dialog.

I will instal it tomorrow and in a few days try it out on a new mix I'll be doing.

Let's see if you're right about being fiddly.
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hm, a 100$ no-brainer...

totally fiddly... but I`m not a native english... good to lear new expression....

well like everyone suggests it better to try it with your own sounds...
I have being using denoisers like cat430, dns 1500, dns one... for the last 13 years... trust me... even being totally fiddly it is worth $89 - if you don`t have a cedar dns for exemple....

I`m not even much of mcdsp processors...
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

i have bought it without demoing
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed, the processed voice sounded awful. All the transients and esses were lost or made weird.

I had written it off, but may have to get the demo and re-visit it.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz View Post

Audiodeluxe is slashing the intro price in over 20%
Same price as MCDSP site
$99 Native
$149 AAX

Old 24th July 2018
McDSP

Hi,
Does it map to an Icon like the Cedar does?
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Same price as MCDSP site
$99 Native
$149 AAX

I guess I made a confusion.
Yesterday when I check their site, i did only check the dsp price! Now I saw that down below their have a native section that matchs the audiodeluxe price

Sorry
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Really wish he would strip down his UIs and lay off the producer's eyewash.

I wouldn't final dialogue without NF575 and SA2, they're just so excellent and useful, but some of their plugins you're really hunting around to try to figure out exactly what the knob are supposed to do and how they relate to the internal process
Old 25th July 2018
Lives for gear

I agree the demo doesn't sound great but all of the new NR plug-ins seem to overdo it on the demos. The price is really tempting. I'm not too crazy about the virtual hardware look to the interface but the colors are more pleasing than the standard McDSP green to my eyes. Might try it on a mix next week (if it's not too fiddly to learn!)
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Same price as MCDSP site
$99 Native
$149 AAX

Actually, when you put it in the Audiodeluxe basket, an additional discount happens. DSP becomes $125.99, Native $83.99
Old 26th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Actually, when you put it in the Audiodeluxe basket, an additional discount happens. DSP becomes $125.99, Native $83.99
Good to know
thx
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Head

The fact that NR800 comes in aax dsp makes it interesting as a complement to RX.

Will try it asap!
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

OK--now down the road a bit. Has anyone made this plug a regular part of their work? Are you using it "live" in your channel strip(s)? I can't tell from the McDSP site if there is a PC VST version yet or not.....
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

I've given it a fair number of opportunities, but have had very limited success with it. It is, yes, fiddly, and is rarely on par with my my other NR options. It's really just a sophisticated expander, and I have found a couple of situations where that type of single-ended NR has worked within the context of a mix.
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

thanks that's very helpful esp your description of the plug's effect. I kind of have the multiband expander thing covered a different way.
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Nut

Don´t come close to DNS One or Two.
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

I too was wondering if anyone was using it regularly. I couldn't get great results from it during my demo period. Wanted to like it more than I did.
Old 4 weeks ago
A year later.. any success stories with the NR800?
I never liked it when demoing it but in the dubbing mix last week my mixer used it and took away some heavy VHS wideband hum from archive material and it stoked me how Much HUM it took away without affecting the sialogue too much..

Cant do the demo again, kind of want to buy it now on special price.. but still as many of you, I didnt like it at first.
Maybe I was using the controls wrong?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've actually warmed to it quite a bit since my initial negative impression. As I mentioned before, it's a sophisticated multiband expander, and isn't very intuitive. But I've found it very useful dealing with dialogue with wispy background noise, such as wind through trees. If you're lucky enough to accidentally get the settings right, it can be effective and transparent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i have it on my dialog tracks and use it
Old 3 weeks ago
Motown legend

It won a shootout here a couple of months ago. I've never found any universal noise reduction or De-essing tool.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It won a shootout here a couple of months ago. I've never found any universal noise reduction or De-essing tool.
Out of curiousity. What other denoisers were part of this shoot out?
Old 3 weeks ago
Motown legend

Various Rx7 advanced, each of the waves and Accusonus ERA-D.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search