The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dial Edit Mic Selection
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Dial Edit Mic Selection

Hey everyone, I would like to know your opinions dialogue edit microphone selection.

I tend to use Boom mics everytime they're good. When that's not the case, I mix some lav's to keep things tight (with extreme caution on phase issues, and phase inversion when needed).

Any one here uses only lav's?

Do you always tend to pic only one mic? use multiple? Curious about your workflows!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As always it depends...

The more two camera shots there are, the more I HAVE to mainly rely on the Lav’s.

I wish i didn’t have to of course.

Given the choice between a good sounding boom and a less good sounding lav the voice is simple. But if the choice is between a roomy slightly to distant boom and a half decent lav, then the way to go is not as simple of a choice.

Most of the time the scene will make the choice for me. If I have many shos that requires me to use the lavs then I will be more likely to go with the lavs as the main mic instead of the boom.

Personally I avoid multiple open mics when possible. Phase matching is just not realistic by just using standard tools as the delay changes as the distance between mics always change a little during a shot ( boom is never perfectly still of course).

I love working with directors that know what they want, plan shots ahead of time, limit multichannel shots to where they are really needed, and stay away from overuse of in scene zooming and hand camera that are just wavering around.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On docs anyhow I find that while I might like the boom sound (or even the camera-mount mic sound) for some parts of a scene I can't find usable audio for the WHOLE scene from those mics, so then the decision is whether or not matching is possible between the 2 types or if the diffs are so great that I have to do the whole scene on lavs, mainly. Often the choice has to be the latter, with the other mic channels only used for fixes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
One other thing I've found -- IMHO only, of course -- is that in scenes where we're supposed to be in the actors' reality boom almost always works best. But in scenes where the actor is coming into our reality, like spokesperson in limbo to camera, or sometimes actor to fourth wall, lav can help because it brings their voice into our world with less distraction.

Greenscreen is a case-by-case thing. You certainly don't want a large echoey studio if they're supposed to be in a forest, but stage-for-office can work.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

As with most things, what sounds good is good.

Pick whichever mic sounds best, often it's the boom but not always.

Usually just go with the best sounding track, but sometimes multiple tracks both have problems but their problems are complimentary to one another and using them together sounds best.

Sometimes a track that initially sounds worse can actually be improved to be the better one with good noise reduction tools. Sometimes a track is only better in parts but becomes unusable in others, in which case a decision needs to be made if that track can be matched tonally with another track, and if not, then the inferior sounding track will have to be used if it's at least consistent the entire way through.

Good dialogue editing goes miles and miles in terms of improving quality, long before any noise reduction or mixing comes into play!

Also sadly, garbage in will equal garbage out. Some dialogue recordings will just be unusable no matter what you do to them if they were poorly recorded.

So long story short, it all depends. Sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to make something sound good. But also as with most things, if it sounds good is IS good!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm seeing 2 camera shoots being used like an excuse for low budget shoots with poor planning. They default to 2 cameras for every scene. It makes no sense, not just for booming but visually. But I'm seeing it everywhere from film shoots to corporate videos.

So for me less and less boom these days. It's good for one angle but the rest are lav only and if I can't match it close enough I won't use it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I'm seeing 2 camera shoots being used like an excuse for low budget shoots with poor planning. They default to 2 cameras for every scene. It makes no sense, not just for booming but visually. But I'm seeing it everywhere from film shoots to corporate videos.

So for me less and less boom these days. It's good for one angle but the rest are lav only and if I can't match it close enough I won't use it.
I'm actually seeing fewer multicam shoots on corporate nowadays--here is where 5 and 8k video is your friend: they punch in for the close up in editorial. The DP gets a better more expensive camera (instead of 2 lesser ones) and I get 1 cam coverage (and this can use a boom): win-win. In commercial dramatic filmmaking (esp episodic) I don't see the multicam thing ever going away now--if anything there will be MORE cameras in the future, not fewer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search