The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL LSR 6328P or Genelecs 8020 for small mix room Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

JBL LSR 6328P or Genelecs 8020 for small mix room

Will be setting up a new surround mix/writing room. I don't have much space, 10' (W) x 24' (L) x 10' (H).
I have the choice of either JBL LSR 6328P + sub or Genelecs 8020 + sub, any suggestions ? As much as i love the JBL, i'm afraid it's overkill for such a small room...mix position is roughly 3 feet from the monitors.

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I edit/sound design in a relatively small space and I use the JBLs I have 3 6328s up front, and a pair of the 6326s in the back, and the 6312 sub. I love them. Yeah, they are a little much for the space I have, but I know how everything translates from them to the studio when I go in and do my pass in the room before clients show up.
My vote is for the JBLs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

how big is your room ?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
how big is your room ?
Never actually measured it, it's just the spare bedroom in our townhouse... If I had to guess, I would say maybe 16x20?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have used 6328s in a small 5.1 mix room (12'x14'). They are excellent speakers and capable of reproducing feature film levels in a small room where the mixer is maybe 6'-8' from the screen. Although they are not advertized as midfield monitors, for TV mixing I would feel very comfortable using them in a midfield environment with the mix position 10'-12' from the screen. They can reproduce bass freqs accurately down to about 40Hz, which means I was able to use them without bass management and still have enough low end from the mains. If I remember correctly the X curve requires completely rolling off the lows below about 35Hz, and in my opinion, the 6328 bottom line of 40Hz is close enough since I can't even tell the difference between 35Hz and 40Hz by listening.

The main issue for me is that the 6328s are pretty bright and in my experience the built in high freq attenuation is not enough to reduce the highs to industry standard curves. Therefore I used EQ to flatten out the top end. FWIW, I have never used any speaker that didn't require EQ to match industry curves, so this is not a big deal for me. The EQ was not radical, just a gentle roll off in the highs and some filtering of the exreme lows that were acoustic anomalies, not a problem with the speaker.

All that being said, if it were me, I would go with the JBL 708s since they have built in EQ that I believe is robust enough to set your B chain to the proper curve without having to buy external EQ.

As far as the Genelecs go, I don't hate them, but the JBLs work better for me doing film and TV projects. The JBLs are ubiquitous around Southern California studios for nearfield playback on dub stages, so they have a very familiar sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies/suggestions.

I end up getting the JBL 5.1 kit, I'm sure i can make it work with proper EQ. I'm using Qsys core and have different EQ setting for cinema and music mixing.

Quote:
I have used 6328s in a small 5.1 mix room (12'x14'). They are excellent speakers and capable of reproducing feature film levels in a small room where the mixer is maybe 6'-8' from the screen.
I assume if you are 6'-8' from the monitors in a 12'x14' room, they must be placed very close to the from/back wall. How do deal with early refections?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you all for your replies/suggestions.

I end up getting the JBL 5.1 kit, I'm sure i can make it work with proper EQ. I'm using Qsys core and have different EQ setting for cinema and music mixing.

I assume if you are 6'-8' from the monitors in a 12'x14' room, they must be placed very close to the from/back wall. How do deal with early refections?
For most speakers you need to have them a meter or so from the wall. Depending on the issues from that you would use a combination of absorption or diffusion.

Randall
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

One thing to consider, as well, if you want to use the RMC (highly recommended) you will need to make sure that all the speakers are on the same firmware version. Probably not a big deal if you get them all from the same source, but make sure they get you the calibration mic that comes with it.

If you end up needing to run the firmware update, the software that does that is not compatible in Mac OS beyond 10.6.8 (snow leopard). I had this issue because I had the front 6328 pair and sub forever and they were great. I ended up with the opportunity to get the center 6328 and the rear 6326s from a buddy who was moving out of the country, but the firmware versions were different, and I had to run the updater on all of them to get them to the same version. You can download the latest firmware easy enough if you search for it. but if you try to run it on a newer mac (I don't know the OS cutoff for Windows) you will end up messing up the firmware that's in there. So hopefully you or a buddy have a computer that can boot up snow leopard lying around somewhere.

Just something to be aware of.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
One thing to consider, as well, if you want to use the RMC (highly recommended) you will need to make sure that all the speakers are on the same firmware version.
I agree it is definitely a good idea to make sure your firmware is the same for all units, however, IMHO RMC is overrated and underequipped for the job it is advertized to do. I have always needed many more bands of EQ and much better control over each band's parameters than RMC provides. I suppose it's probably better than nothing, but it's not an ideal solution and you have to be careful not to screw things up. I never trusted the measuring device that comes with RMC, I would use an RTA. Even the free ones like Room EQ Wizard (REW) are excellent. You will need a measurement mic, but you can get by fine with the $100 Berringer or the $200 Beyerdynamic MM1.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use Smaart software and 4 Beyer MM1 for room calibration. In my opinion, the RMC is quite useless.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you are speaking of SBIR, the speakers don't necessarily have to be that far from the wall, it depends on the room and the speakers. MY JBLs were about 16" from the front wall, however, that wall has a large window behind the speakers, covered by broadband treatment and a velvet curtain. The window acts as an infinite bass trap and the broadband panels in front of it deaden mid-range and high freqs reflections. Broadband panels on the side walls and in the corners around the room deal with early reflections and help tame room modes.

Dealing with modes, SBIR, etc is a complicated balancing act. The only way to get rid of modes would be to make a room anechoic, which would be horrible sounding, so the game is to use room dimensions and acoustic treatment to balance existing modes against each other so the room response is as even as possible. Sometimes you can actually use SBIR to help balance out low end. Although there are on line calculators that claim to predict the effects of SBIR, I have found that the best approach is to experiment with different speaker and mix positions while looking at an RTA.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search