The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Watching Lost in Space on Netflix - levels seem to be all over the map Studio Amplifiers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Watching Lost in Space on Netflix - levels seem to be all over the map

The first episode was produced, IMHO, at a good audio level but the second and third episodes were all over the place in terms of levels and there seem to be some high end sibilance and distortion on the voices. I am watching this on a Smart HD TV with the audio fed into a Benchmark DAC-1 and a Bryston 3B ST amplifier and a pair of Alon IV speakers and I am monitoring the audio levels on a Dorrough level meter. The visuals are stunning but the audio seems to be not as well done. I am wondering if it is a problem with actual audio recorded or a problem with Netflix? * Again the first episode was very well done and then something happened on episodes 3 and 3. Is there anyone on this forum who has worked on the series and would care to comment?

Thanks in advance!

*I assume if there was a problem with the audio it was because of a very tight production schedule or lots and lots of changes in the editing and the audio never got redone.

See also this observation Lost in space mix

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 1 week ago at 01:53 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Not the same as yours though interestingly enough. Maybe they reuploaded the mixes without the compressionproblems, but then the mix gets other problems with consistency?
Old 1 week ago
It sure as hell was very dynamic, which is maybe a little inconvenient when watching it in an apartment after 10 PM, but at least with my Pioneer/JBL combo it didn't sound that bad. Stopped watching after episode 3 though, but more because I simply couldn't warm to the protagonists than because of the sound.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Sometimes there are different mix crews on a pilot than the series.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Sometimes there are different mix crews on a pilot than the series.
^ This. And also different schedules. Usually more time for post on the pilot than on the series.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I didn't notice, and I usually notice stuff like that. That's probably what gave it that chaotic, hectic, urgent and desperate atmosphere. Sometimes a wide dynamic range can make things more interesting and force the audience to focus their attention. I enjoyed the show. In my opinion it's one of the best SciFi miniseries I've ever seen, and totally redeemed the brand.

PS: What's the correct synonym for "brand" in this context? I can't think of it, it's on the tip of my tongue. Not "universe" or "legacy". There's a word for a fictional story concept that includes all remakes and versions and I've been trying remember the word. It's really bothering me that I can't. haha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chapman View Post
It sure as hell was very dynamic, which is maybe a little inconvenient when watching it in an apartment after 10 PM, but at least with my Pioneer/JBL combo it didn't sound that bad. Stopped watching after episode 3 though, but more because I simply couldn't warm to the protagonists than because of the sound.
Should have stuck it out. Kept getting better and better. The first few episodes were "meh" but by the end it was really entertaining. Turned out to be a very complex story with very well developed characters.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chapman View Post
I am up to episode 6. Sometimes the audio is great, sometimes not so great. It seems to be all over the place in terms of levels. I really like the show and the visuals are stunning to say the least. The audio levels are so variable it makes it difficult to set a good volume on the playback speakers. The dialog seems to have been recorded differently on different takes and then no one took the time in post to match the levels. Too bad.

I think this series will go down as one of the best mini science fiction series ever.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I also stopped watching after 3 episodes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
PS: What's the correct synonym for "brand" in this context? I can't think of it, it's on the tip of my tongue. Not "universe" or "legacy". There's a word for a fictional story concept that includes all remakes and versions and I've been trying remember the word. It's really bothering me that I can't. haha
"franchise", maybe?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubivore View Post
"franchise", maybe?
Thank you. So obvious now, but that was killing me. Tip of the tongue phenomenon in action.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I watched all 10 episodes of "season 1", Not at all impressed with the audio on this series. It is almost as if they had no one doing final quality control on the audio. Everywhere the series is reviewed the series is always complimented on the visual effects and quality of the video. I guess audio is not, in the producer's world, as important. HD 4K quality video and MP3 256K audio is what I am seeing and hearing. Too bad, the not so well done audio takes away from the overall effect of the series. Maybe season 2 will be better, I certainly hope so.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
I am up to episode 6. Sometimes the audio is great, sometimes not so great. It seems to be all over the place in terms of levels. I really like the show and the visuals are stunning to say the least. The audio levels are so variable it makes it difficult to set a good volume on the playback speakers. The dialog seems to have been recorded differently on different takes and then no one took the time in post to match the levels. Too bad.
After the first three episodes I'm not sure I'm hearing the same thing...

Quote:
I also stopped watching after 3 episodes.
I think I'll do the same.

Quote:
I think this series will go down as one of the best mini science fiction series ever.
Judging from the first three episodes I don't see how that's possible...
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
After the first three episodes I'm not sure I'm hearing the same thing...

I think I'll do the same.

Judging from the first three episodes I don't see how that's possible...
I watched all 10 episodes. It does get better and better. The visual effects are motion picture quality. The sound not so much. The writing gets better and better and so does the character development. I think you will see what I am seeing if you watch the rest of the series. If not then I bow to your experience and knowledge.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I remember Black Sails being the opposite - very ropey at the beginning and getting better and better. There is a fundamental flaw with the growing trend to mix in bigger rooms and that is its very easy to let dialogue fall below the parapet so to speak. Good mixers understand this. I also feel that there is often a double pill down of the centre channel in certain circumstances - I personally have never really liked the -3 center pull even though I completely understand the maths. The maths does not tale into account the stability and focus of the dedicated center especially in complex and dense sound tracks. I always review a downmixed version though small **** box speakers. Great for keeping the DX in the pocket
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
I remember Black Sails being the opposite - very ropey at the beginning and getting better and better. There is a fundamental flaw with the growing trend to mix in bigger rooms and that is its very easy to let dialogue fall below the parapet so to speak. Good mixers understand this. I also feel that there is often a double pill down of the centre channel in certain circumstances - I personally have never really liked the -3 center pull even though I completely understand the maths. The maths does not tale into account the stability and focus of the dedicated center especially in complex and dense sound tracks. I always review a downmixed version though small **** box speakers. Great for keeping the DX in the pocket
I absolutely hate mixing TV in large rooms, meant for features.

Yes, smaller rooms make me work harder.
But I rarely have any surprises when I hear it on air.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Given the level of experience of the Sound Department for the series as listed on the IMDB, and also given that none of us commenting here on this thread were on the stage when it was mixed, I would be very hesitant to criticize the mixing skills and would lay the blame at the myriad other factors that influence how a mix ultimately sounds, not the least of which is that it's on Netflix and not a broadcast network which (I would imagine) is more stable and consistent between viewing locations.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I absolutely hate mixing TV in large rooms, meant for features.

Yes, smaller rooms make me work harder.
But I rarely have any surprises when I hear it on air.
Even with nearfeild monitors?

I like big rooms but not monitors that are 20 or 30 feet away.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
Even with nearfeild monitors?

I like big rooms but not monitors that are 20 or 30 feet away.
I rarely use nearfields.
We mix primarily on the bigs in 5.1, in appropraitemsized rooms.

And nearfields in a massive room are even worse IMO.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMilner View Post
Given the level of experience of the Sound Department for the series as listed on the IMDB, and also given that none of us commenting here on this thread were on the stage when it was mixed, I would be very hesitant to criticize the mixing skills and would lay the blame at the myriad other factors that influence how a mix ultimately sounds, not the least of which is that it's on Netflix and not a broadcast network which (I would imagine) is more stable and consistent between viewing locations.
I too think there maybe more to this than what was done in the mixing stage. TV programs go through so many hops on their way to the viewer's home, who is to really say where the audio problems happened. I do know that I watched all the episodes on the same TV with the same audio setup and that the levels were all over the place. I am also watching COLONY on the same setup and the audio is very consistent. I know from working as an audio engineer in a PBS station that the levels going out of our station went into some additional processing gear, then on to a microwave link and even more processing before they were broadcast. So all I could do, as an audio engineer, was be as consistent as I could with levels and hope for the best. I know it is not the same today with 5.1 surround and tight production schedules but this inconsistency in levels was very noticeable to me watching the program. I would like to find out why this happened just for my information. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
I too think there maybe more to this than what was done in the mixing stage. TV programs go through so many hops on their way to the viewer's home, who is to really say where the audio problems happened. I do know that I watched all the episodes on the same TV with the same audio setup and that the levels were all over the place. I am also watching COLONY on the same setup and the audio is very consistent. I know from working as an audio engineer in a PBS station that the levels going out of our station went into some additional processing gear, then on to a microwave link and even more processing before they were broadcast. So all I could do, as an audio engineer, was be as consistent as I could with levels and hope for the best. I know it is not the same today with 5.1 surround and tight production schedules but this inconsistency in levels was very noticeable to me watching the program. I would like to find out why this happened just for my information. Thanks for all the replies.
I would doubt that it's a "broadcast" problem with Netflix. I haven't seen the show, so I won't comment on quality... but the QC and (for lack of a better term) "broadcast chain" of streaming services is so much more streamlined than traditional Broadcast. Anything I've ever done for Netflix/Amazon/HBO has played back 100% as intended.

I would bet whatever you are hearing is exactly what was delivered.
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search