The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendation for "software foley"? Keyboard Controllers
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBaron View Post
A heads up to anyone else like me who has been eyeing the Edward Ultimate Suite: they're currently running a black Friday sale so until the 26th it's $279 instead of $399.
WOW, that is a killer deal!
I got a guitar center memorial day %20 and got it for around $320.
Just bought the 2 other expansion packs. Just started using it on a film which needs completely foley (1 due to a LOT OF ADR and 2 everyone was lav'd so barely no sounds of feet, touching, sitting was recorded well 3 horrible prod sound and RX'd almost everything).

Will write my thoughts on the whole process once I am done
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
WOW, that is a killer deal!
I got a guitar center memorial day %20 and got it for around $320.
Just bought the 2 other expansion packs. Just started using it on a film which needs completely foley (1 due to a LOT OF ADR and 2 everyone was lav'd so barely no sounds of feet, touching, sitting was recorded well 3 horrible prod sound and RX'd almost everything).

Will write my thoughts on the whole process once I am done
I am in the EXACT same boat with a current film. Majority of the boom tracks aren't usable so I'll be relying on Edward if we can't work out a budget for Foley. The last time I used it I felt like I was too slow, even though I play keys. I'd record the midi track, watch it back, correct timing, then print it. I think I need to eliminate the other steps and print live...
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
If you want clothes, you need Ultimate. FoleyArt only has steps.
Interesting that the original entry level instrument included some rudimentary clothes as well. Am I correct in understanding that there are no cloth expansions that can be added to FoleyArt?
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Interesting that the original entry level instrument included some rudimentary clothes as well. Am I correct in understanding that there are no cloth expansions that can be added to FoleyArt?
??
Edward Foleyart Instrument doesn't have any clothes (I pulled it up and checked)-- just shoes.

And the only expansion pack I see for it is only shoes/walking too (outdoor)

Might as well go straight to the source on this

EDWARD Foleyart Instrument: Your Virtual Foley Artist
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
??
Edward Foleyart Instrument doesn't have any clothes (I pulled it up and checked)-- just shoes.

And the only expansion pack I see for it is only shoes/walking too (outdoor)

Might as well go straight to the source on this

EDWARD Foleyart Instrument: Your Virtual Foley Artist
Thanks, I actually already bought it when it was ridiculously cheap at Thanksgiving. I was just a little surprised that it didn't include any cloth because the early reviews showed that it did. Guess they decided to confine that to the Ultimate Suite. Fair enough.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girts View Post
cool! I'm very curious and looking forward to hear about your experience, thanks!

Well here's my prognosis.
There is nothing to replace a real Foley by Foley artists (endless reasons of emotion conveyed, etc.)
There are only 4 ways to do Foley (that I know of):

1) A real Foley (walker in a room with all the pits, toys, & gadgets)
2) PFX
3) Edwards Ultimate suite (or something similar)
4) SFX library (painful, time consuming & tedious)

I purchased:
Komplete Kontrol S25
Edward Ultimate SUITE
BAREFOOT & SANDALS: EUS Expansion I
REAL OUTDOOR FOOTSTEPS – EUS Expansion II. The extended footsteps now replaces the regular footsteps

I have 3 instrument tracks all bussed to a Kontakt bus. And one audio track with the Kontakt as the input and the input is selected so that I can always hear/audition. And one main audio track with Kontakt bus as the input to record to and after recording and editing, drop it to FS 1, FS 2, FS 3, etc.
Instrument track 1 - Edward Ultimate -Shoes Expanded
Instrument track 2 - Edward Ultimate Real Outdoor Footsteps
Instrument track 3 - Edward Ultimate - Cloths & Props

Whichever of the INS track is selected is the one that is triggered.
At first I was very hesitant getting a midi keyboard with only 2 touch strips instead of jog wheels for Pitch & Modulation and thought that would be annoying. But I wanted the NI Komplete Kontrol S25 since Edward recommended it and it was built around it more or less. And after using it, I am glad I did. The touch strips actually make a HUGE difference. When walking and needing to quickly change from one shoe to another (Deck A to Deck B), a quick light touch of the pinky finger is all I need and this comes in handy far more than if it was a jog wheel. If there are a lot of actors in a scene walking, like in a bar, the choices for shoes and surface become limited, so a combination of the Pitch, EQ, and Reverb is enough to make each one unique to the character.
Part of the work flow which I learned rather quickly, is when you find the right sound for the character, immediately save that preset. Makes it easier when that character comes up in a scene somewhere else wearing the same shoes in the same room instead of having to play with all the settings, EQ, Pitch, Verb, etc. to find out what was used. Here is one huge useful feature to record two people simultaneously, setting the mix mod to the center and select Deck B with a delay and obviously a different character for Deck A & B, you can walk two people simultaneously (can’t do that as a Foley walker, well unless you have the skills to wear shoes on your hands and feet lol)

I had inquired if this was possible and received a response from the developer:
There are several long scenes where there's a male actor who is being followed by a female cameraman. I noticed the features of DELAY and choosing Deck B. I opened a Stereo instrument track (I am only recording audio and not using midi) and on DECK A I have sneakers for the male and on DECK B I have Dress shoes for the female and set the delay to match them both walking together. And this Stereo instrument track is feeding a stereo audio track, but when I record them for their footsteps, it obviously records them in stereo but they are mixed together. After some inquire with the developer, I found out that opening a stereo instrument track with two instances and panning one shoe or effect to the left on DECK A of the 1st instance and the other instance Deck B panned to right and the record tracks corresponding to each. This works perfect for a scene where an actor wearing a backpack while hiking and you want to simultaneously record his footsteps on dirt or leaves on one track and the cloth sound of the backpack on the other. 2 for 1 deal 

There are some shoes that are missing, such as Uggs, slippers, cleats, tap dance shoes, so on and so forth. Hoping there’ll be more expansions later down the line.
There is one major issue of this is using the keyboard and fingers vs walking Foley. I’ve been playing keyboards/Synths/Piano for over 25 years and it’s quite different to walk Foley on a keyboard using fingers. One has to really re-program the brain. When I record Foley as a Foley walker, I’m in really in the mind set of acting and thus mimicking the actor in a scene in a physical sense and thus it’s more natural to copy their movements. So the body naturally walks in sync, pressure of the feet with precise agility to match what’s on scene and that comes more naturally than using 2 fingers to match. But after some time, the mind adjusts and it becomes more natural. I am now either in sync or late by 3 frames… Weird

The layout of the S25 is very intuitive and after a while everything comes naturally. My only grip is that the transport controls on the S25 (Play/Rec/Stop) as far as I know, do not work with Protools. According to a phone call to Native Instruments, this isn’t possible with Protools, which I thought was odd and unfortunate (unless if one of you know a work around).

FYI. I am running PT 11.3 HD on OS 10.10.5
So there are some limitations on the features. From my research, the NI Komplete Kontrol S models work best with at least Sierra or High Sierra. But I can’t upgrade as I am on PT11. And haven’t bothered with the $1,000 upgrade just yet, since the new modular macs are coming out next year with who knows what architecture and OS, which will have a host of billions of bugs and issues with Avid/PT and Apple OS which will probably take some time till that gets worked out (5 to 10 years again?)

To answer Girts question on running.

YES it is convincing. There are 2 keys alternating for: SLOW, MED, WALK, RUN and each has a unique signature to match.
I finished a scene where a character is running towards the camera at a park on a concrete path. It took a while to get a feel for it and in sync, since he didn’t keep the same pace throughout till he came to a stop from a wide shot to a close up. But it worked perfectly, after a few takes and adjustments.
The fact that you can choose both decks, one sneaker on asphalt and the other sneaker on dirt eq’d with a lot less low end and mix them 60/40 to dial it in right made it work.

All in all, this was the perfect choice. Like I said in the past, for a high action military type film will need real Foley. Aliens and monster will need real Foley. But for every day run of the mill talking heads, romantic comedies and such, this works perfectly. Buy once and use it over and over and over. And each time I use it, I find some new technique and feature that makes life easier.

Here’s a link to the set up and samples of how it works

Edward Ultimate SUITE - Training Series with Josh
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Addict

I've bought Native Instruments A 25 and Edwards Virtual Foley Instrument + some expansion packs. Not sure if its me by my A25 keyboard does not map out on any NI libraries at all when I'm running it via PT..Anyway, I do find it extremely useful to have some sort of foley plugin for quick and dirty on low budget productions.
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

One thing I do for running scenes - I record midi on the Instrument track at half speed. That way I can nail the sync. Then record or commit it to my foley tracks.
Old 14th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
One thing I do for running scenes - I record midi on the Instrument track at half speed. That way I can nail the sync. Then record or commit it to my foley tracks.
Absolutely brilliant!
Whish I knew this sooner. Had to go back and try this out and wow
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search