The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Halo Issue DAW Software
Old 16th April 2018
Gear Addict

Halo Issue

Hey,

I usually strap Halo across an Aux bus in Pro Tools to upmix all the music or atmos tracks rather than have it on indvidual tracks. Lately when i place it on an aux, the centre upmix does not work. Basically whatever i do there is no signal on the centre channel of the 5.1 Aux.
If i place Halo directly on the source track it behaves normally.
This used to work perfectly and i have done dozens of mixes with halo on the aux track upmixing correctly so i can't fathom what the problem is.
Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks

Garret
Old 16th April 2018
I would check the channel order in the i/o bussing, if it is ITU or Film by default, then look at all the io mapping for the busses and check they are all in the same order. I was having some weird problems when my projects were all ITU mapping’s and then preferences got trashed at some point which meant when new tracks were created they defaulted back to Film mapping. Bussing these new Film order tracks to ITU busses created plugin weirdness and instability in PT. Maybe worth a check?
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks Wheelie. It isn't that I am afraid. All bussing is correct. I can pass the stereo track through the Aux with the plugin in bypass with no problems it is only when i engage the plugin that i get no centre channel info. I get all other upmixed channels correctly.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict

Problem fixed. Just in case anyone else encounters this issue. In the latest versions of Halo the default setup is to exclude both the Centre and LFE from the upmix when using multichannel inputs. You can switch that off by going into the settings menu and deselecting C and LFE.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
Thanks Wheelie. It isn't that I am afraid. All bussing is correct. I can pass the stereo track through the Aux with the plugin in bypass with no problems it is only when i engage the plugin that i get no centre channel info. I get all other upmixed channels correctly.
Is your stereo track going to a stereo or 5.1 aux?
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict

Stereo track to 5.1 Aux. Problem is fixed Tom. See my post above. They changed the default setup of the plugin to NOT include the centre or LFE in the upmix. Not sure why. You can add them back in in the settings menu.
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

Glad it is fixed. I have noticed a similar effect. I just recently switched from an older version of Halo to the latest and the center divergence doesn't have nearly the effect that it once did. It sounded similar to your issue - except I am on a stereo AUX.

Randall

Quote:
Stereo track to 5.1 Aux. Problem is fixed Tom. See my post above. They changed the default setup of the plugin to NOT include the centre or LFE in the upmix. Not sure why. You can add them back in in the settings menu.
Old 17th April 2018
Gear Addict

Hi Randall

Yes me too! So what are you using Halo for in that scenario? Are you still upmixing in some way through the stereo aux?
The only ways I’ve used halo is either directly on the stereo track I want to upmix or on a 5.0 or 5.1 Aux that is being fed by stereo tracks. Just interested in other workflows I may have overlooked.

Thanks
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

I have a 2.0 to 5.1 AUX that all of my music tracks can be sent to via a send in Pro Tools. I had to update the plug in as I was troubleshooting a delay compensation issue in PT 12.18.3 and I initially thought Halo was a cause.

Since then, the divergence control hasn't really worked the way that I remember it did from the older version.

Randall

Quote:
Hi Randall

Yes me too! So what are you using Halo for in that scenario? Are you still upmixing in some way through the stereo aux?
The only ways I’ve used halo is either directly on the stereo track I want to upmix or on a 5.0 or 5.1 Aux that is being fed by stereo tracks. Just interested in other workflows I may have overlooked.

Thanks
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear
Glad it's sorted. When using it on an aux I use a stereo one and let Halo change it to 5.1 or 7.1 then send to a suitable output.

The behaviour you mention actually makes sense as on a 5.1 aux it's obviously expecting 5.1 audio and therefore not having to upmix.
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Addict

My issue was that they completely changed the default mode of the plugin. It had always worked the way I described untill a very recent version and that’s what threw me. I would much prefer the default to be the old way but that’s life. It is mentioned in the new manual so I guess I should RTFM more often!
The reason I use a 5.1 aux is that I can bypass Halo and then still have the ability to pan the source tracks around the 5.1 sound field any way I like.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search