The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Sky System One replacement tweeter? Studio Monitors
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

Blue Sky System One replacement tweeter?

Hi,

I have a Blue Sky System One 2.1 (pair of SAT 6.5 MK II speaker + 12" sub - dates from 2002).

One of the original tweeters blew recently. It's a Vifa XT25SC-30, now discontinued. From what I read on the internets, Blue Sky recommended the Vifa (now Tymphany) XT25TG30-04 as a drop-in replacement so I replaced the pair.

However, the sound, while still good, is *very* different from the original. "Less accurate", "not as balanced" and "looser" come to mind as descriptions. (Yeah, I'm equally good at describing wine characteristics).

Anybody have Blue Sky's & replaced the tweeters? I'd be interested in hearing your experience. Or possibly any alternative tweeters?

Thanks,
-Paul
Old 10th April 2018
Gear Nut

I've replaced several of mine and actually picked up an extra one last time just in case I couldn't get them anymore. Here in Canada the people to talk to are Audio Distributors International (Audio Distributors International | We know music.). Talk to Eric or Steve. Best of luck.

JR
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the info, JR
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

A little over a year ago I was able to buy replacement sat and subwoofer drivers for the smaller line of old Blue Sky speakers directly from the USA HQ, via their website. I too got a few extra....
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

I had several repairs done to my 6.5's over the years, and always went through Rich Walborn, as recommended by Blue Sky. It's been awhile, but the contact I had for him was [email protected].
Old 12th April 2018
Here for the gear

philper & seanmccoy, Thanks for the info.

I purchased a new pair of XT25TG30-04 ($26/each) and I'm liking the sound better. We'll see. The tweeters I used to replace the blown originals had came with the speakers as spares but the boxes weren't sealed so were of unknown usage.
Old 12th April 2018
Lives for gear

Replacing the actual drivers is a no-brainer, all you need is a screwdriver.
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

You might give these people a call. They have saved my butt more than once. Madisound Speaker Components They have LOTS of replacement tweeters (you would have to replace both) but it maybe worth it. I had to replace some woofers in a pair of desk top speakers and their sales people suggested a replacement that actually sounded, IMHO, better than the original. Best of luck!
Old 16th April 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks, Tom. I haven't dealt with Madisound before but I think I will give them a try.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search