The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic crosstalk on live interview (two microphones) Utility Plugins
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Head

Mic crosstalk on live interview (two microphones)

Hi all

I have been given the job of mixing an interview done with 2 speakers on a stage, each with their own microphone, so I have two recordings, one from each mic.

Each microphone pics up the opposite person speaking in the background quite well. They must have been standing close together or they had very sensitive mics. This makes gating out the unwanted voice quite hard as it would also cut out the more quieter parts of the voice I want to keep.

Is there a better way to deal with this?

Thanks in advance
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanmonkey View Post
Hi all

I have been given the job of mixing an interview done with 2 speakers on a stage, each with their own microphone, so I have two recordings, one from each mic.

Each microphone pics up the opposite person speaking in the background quite well. They must have been standing close together or they had very sensitive mics. This makes gating out the unwanted voice quite hard as it would also cut out the more quieter parts of the voice I want to keep.

Is there a better way to deal with this?

Thanks in advance
use what you have to your advantage .. you can use gating but you will need to adjust your RANGE settings so it does not Gate Completely .. you do not wnt the background sound to change too much between person changes ..

overlapping speech is the only time where you need to work a little harder ..

is one person much louder than the other ??

be happy to take a listen to what you have .. even a snippet to see what you have to work with .. done this many many times .. feel free to PM me !!!

short story, i was handed an 2 person interview with well known singer that had a bad mic on the Singer .. i used the Interviewers mic when his mic went bad .. saved the interview - thank fully they were close together and she did not step all over him .. oh and btw: i had 20 minutes to fix it give it to an editor and then it Aired LIVE !!! nothing like Pressure to find a solution quickly !!1

cheers john
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Nut

That's pretty typical in a two mic, two person interview scenario. Lav mics are typically omni directional and you will hear bleed on each mic. How much depends on how loud each person is and how sensitive the mic is. I've not tried this yet but I'm told that the De-bleed module in RX 6 works pretty well for addressing this. The other thing you could do is checkerboard the channels so only the person who is speaking has an active channel.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Addict

I tend to leave one mic open and cut out bleed from rest of the mics then dip open mic using automation whenever other people are talking. It takes time, but with some practice, solid workflow and template I got much quicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Mic crosstalk on live interview (two microphones)-1.jpg  
Old 13th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanmonkey View Post
... 2 speakers on a stage, each with their own microphone, so I have two recordings, one from each mic.
Are you saying you have two recordings (two different machines) or two channels (single machine with a L&R channel)?
If you have two channels, you can sometimes time shift one track against the other to null the crosstalk. It can only work if the two speakers stay in one place. Start shifting one track a few samples at a time until you hear the bleed minimized. Again, the mics have to stay the same distance apart, or you'll be chasing a moving target.
Old 16th February 2018
Lives for gear

automated mic mixing helps a lot when doing interviews/discusson live... - try expanders (not gates), delay one track or anything else that helps cancelling out the unwanted background pickup.

(does anyone know a plugin with allpass filters that could be automated?!)
Old 17th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
automated mic mixing helps a lot when doing interviews/discusson live... - try expanders (not gates), delay one track or anything else that helps cancelling out the unwanted background pickup.

(does anyone know a plugin with allpass filters that could be automated?!)
are you thinking seomthing like a Dugan right !!!
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
are you thinking seomthing like a Dugan right !!!
I think it's a shame that there is no dugan or other automixer available in pro tools.
I use automixing all the time in live broadcast, it would actually save time in post I'm quite sure.
Old 18th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
I think it's a shame that there is no dugan or other automixer available in pro tools.
I use automixing all the time in live broadcast, it would actually save time in post I'm quite sure.
too bad you have to have Mix-Rack from Waves, HDX card or some sort of LIve Mixer soltution for this ..

you could create your own Auto-mixer with SideChains and gates .. not as elegant and if you get onto a ot of Banter it gets tough .. at that point easier to do it manuallly ...

we used to have to mix everything in real time to mono or stereo .. and maybe, maybe have ISO tracks recorded .. thats when we were called MIXERS for a reason !!!
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
too bad you have to have...
sounddevices has dugan automixer built in on the 688 for some time now...
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Why not just do fader rides? Works great.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Why not just do fader rides? Works great.
you obviously haven't been (enough) into situations where riding faders isn't enough...
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Maniac

It's always nice when room tone is provided. But I find that many projects as of late forgo the expense of a real sound mixer on location.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
you obviously haven't been (enough) into situations where riding faders isn't enough...
Yes, obviously. Thank you for clarifying. As it happens, I've dealt with this sort of thing time and again....but it's admittedly hard to determine whether I've met your arbitrary threshold of necessary experience, and encountered these situations "enough" to merit an opinion.

Anyway, here's how I see it...

Depending on how one wants to interpret the OP's reported circumstance, fader rides alone may or may not be sufficient. My reading of it was that he has received a recording to mix where there is leakage from the B speaker into the A mic, and vice versa. A pretty common situation.

If A and B are conversing in pretty much "checkerboard" fashion with little overlap, then yes, fader rides (either manual or something automated like WaveRider) do the trick. Of course, depending on the acoustics of the space, the residual noise in the mics (air conditioning, etc), and the pace & timing of the conversational back and forth, flowing smoothly from one mic to another with fader rides can be tricky. But that's what we're paid to do.

If there's a lot of overlap in the conversation, then with that much leakage there will be intermittent phase problems every time people step on each other with both mics up. If that's the problem the OP is having, then it's possible some of the other tactics suggested above may work -- I haven't tried de-Bleed in RX6; perhaps it can work a miracle. But in my experience (however limited you may presume it to be), there's usually a maneuver with the faders that can feature what needs to be heard without things being too messy.

Of course if the OP wants to invest in auto-mixing technology like the Duggan stuff to integrate into his post system, that's great. But my guess is that a solution like that wasn't seriously being contemplated.
Old 20th February 2018
Lives for gear

i agree that riding faders is probably part of the solution with the actual recording (as it's the most obious thing to try), dugan hopefully an option for the next recording...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search