The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing in Surround 5.1. Center Channel
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Head

Mixing in Surround 5.1. Center Channel

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the bad english, not native!

I've been mixing in surround for some years and for the past few months I've been co-working with another studio and a we are not agreeing on some mixing specs that I would like you guys to give me your opinion.

I've always put Dialogue on the center channel. Either it's location dialogue or ADR.

Now, talking about an indie feature, with no-to-low budget, I included some of the production sound (footsteps, movements, etc) on my mix, but I always send them to the LR Ls Rs Channels. My co-worker defends that all of that sound and some foley should be sent to the CENTER channel too. I dont agree because I feel the mix get's "tunneled" in the front (CENTER).

Questions:
1) Is it normal to send production sound fx and foley to the center channel by default?

2)If so, what's the criteria for that?

Hope I was clear and really looking foward to read your answers!

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

You should be trying to match Production which is in the Center, therefor your foley should be Center for footsteps , movement eat unless you are putting footsteps for background people who are moving from left to right .

I can't see why you would have any Foley in the Left or right surround unless it's for a specific instance.

Music and Ambiences should be in the Left, Center, Right, Left Surround , Right surround with specific things into the LFE when required.
I hope this helps.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

I would never decouple footsteps and cloth/movement from the dialogue. So they will be in the C channel 99,9 % of the time. But if it sounds good to you and your client, go for it!
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

I guess put your self in the place of an audience member in a decent size theatre etc hearing the mix. The DX is coming from the C. Would it feel weird to have the footsteps and cloth etc coming from L/R and S? To me it would be distracting, and not feel like the steps "belonged" to the actors.... If you were spreading your DX across the L+R a bit you might get away with this, but I think you'd still want to "anchor" the steps etc in the C.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

If the voice is center, the Foley associated with it is center. If the voice pans, the corresponding footsteps pan to match. If the Foley is not associated with dialog or audible pfx then it may sometimes pan to follow the screen action, but typically the panning is rarely hard left or right.

As a general rule, unless the Foley is necessary to drive home a plot point, anytime you do anything that draws attention to it, like panning it aggressively, you risk having someone in charge telling you to lose it or turn it way down.

Make it real and match the production sound. You can definitely enhance, but being able to seamlessly switch between pfx footsteps and Foley is the goal. Same goes for props and cloth movement,
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Head

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

Okay, it makes sense, if the production sound is at center, make all the foleys (footsteps clothes, etc) at center too.

I only use foleys at Ls and Rs on specific situations that require them (background foley, etc)

You guys rock.
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0g View Post
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

Okay, it makes sense, if the production sound is at center, make all the foleys (footsteps clothes, etc) at center too.

I only use foleys at Ls and Rs on specific situations that require them (background foley, etc)

You guys rock.
I would be very cautious about putting Foley in the surrounds, even for backgrounds. Remember that the surrounds are overhead, so sounds that should be coming from near the ground are coming from up near the ceiling.
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Addict

If John Doe is talking in the center of the screen...
His voice coming from his body, his hands touching (again sound coming from John's body)
His feet walking/running (again sound coming from John's body)
John hitting, slapping, punching, etc (again sound coming from John's body)
Anything coming from Johns body is treated speakerwise as the same as his voice (of course there'll always be an exception)

No one talks with their voice in the center of the screen and their footstep or hitting someone and that hitting sound comes from the left or right.

All the sounds emanating from John follow him. Except if he uses a whip and it whips center towards the audience, then whip sound can start on him and pan to the rears with the final whip pop sound.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search