The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AVID S3 as replacement for D-command Control Surfaces
Old 12th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Can an S3 do VCA spill without the Ipad app? Is there a dedicated button for this on the S3?
Yes. To spill and unspill a VCA on the S3, with or without the ipad, you simply double-press the select button next to the fader.
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Avid has done some dumb things from time to time but I can't imagine them dropping support for the icon which is the biggest selling large format console in history.
D-Command ES Main (black) Final Sale Date - 8/31/2013 End of Support Date - 8/31/2018

From here:
Avid End of Life Dates
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Avid has done some dumb things from time to time but I can't imagine them dropping support for the icon which is the biggest selling large format console in history.
offical support for blue Icons long gone. ES grey/ Black end this year. Having said that it will no doubt be like the pro control and they will continue working for a bit. But there will be inevitably a version of PT that wont play nicely - prob PT 13 lol - forcing everyone that needs the new features off the old platform
Old 12th January 2018
Motown legend

Icon support made it to 64 bit so unless there is some massive change in operating systems, it won't cost Avid much to make them work for a long long time.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Icon support made it to 64 bit so unless there is some massive change in operating systems, it won't cost Avid much to make them work for a long long time.
Well to the suits it costs sales of more S6’s
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

So a little update after 2 months of use:

It has been superb so far. I would never have thought that the move to the S3 and dock would have been such an upgrade for me.

- It has sped up my workflow by maybe 20 or 30 percent.

- VCA spill is genius

- Layouts are genius.

- In conjunction with a macro application such as Keyboard Maestro you can do the craziest things with all the softkeys and have pages full of macros on the ipad triggering anything you can think of.

- It is an ergonomic wonder. I have it placed on a table with the keyboard in front of it. And because it is so tiny, literally everything within reach. Something that I havent had on the ICONs and even the S6's aren't as ergonomic with keyboardplacement and reaching distance to knobs.

- I thought I would miss the dedicated EQ section, but it turns out when using the channelstrip everything maps out perfectly on the top row of knobs. Which for me is better than having the EQ section away from the faders on the icons.

It comes down to that there is very little (or nothing that I used) that you cannot do with the S3 that you could on the ICON. It outperforms it in almost any way.

However, here come the downsides.

- (I hope avid is reading this) Putting the LCD above the knobs is a catastrophic fail.. I have tried and there is no way a normal person can turn the knob and see what is happening on the LCD above it. If it had been below -> perfect! I don't understand this decision.

- Fader quality. I've mentioned before, far inferior to the D-command faders. But workable.

- I miss a monitoring section. I was planning on keeping my xmon and maybe get a TMC-1. But since I'm going into an Antelope Orion studio interface, I routed my protools outputs into a software mixer and from there I can solo and mute speakers and even have EQ's on them. But I still miss the tactile control.
It's a shame the monitor knob on the Dock can't control the volume of the Orion software.

And lastly, neither a plus or a minus

I read someone say that the "client-impress-factor" might be an issue. It also crossed my mind that I would lose some of the cool factor of a traditional large console or controller. But honestly I stopped caring the moment I found out what was possible with this little cheap controller.
And I have had many clients over since the "upgrade". Not one client cared. It's as simple as that.

I think the traditional look of a studio or stage is gradually changing and we have to let go that you need a large console to have a great room.

I also think it is amazing that they packed so much of the S6 in this controller. There is no single reason I can think of, why I would want to give AVID my money for the S6 now.
I can do everything with this combination and the result is a lot more margin for me.

So in conclusion: haven't regretted the decision one bit.

Attached Thumbnails
AVID S3 as replacement for D-command-img_0347.jpg  
Old 16th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
However, here come the downsides.

- (I hope avid is reading this) Putting the LCD above the knobs is a catastrophic fail.. I have tried and there is no way a normal person can turn the knob and see what is happening on the LCD above it. If it had been below -> perfect! I don't understand this decision.
I have mine on a 7 degree tilt (raising the back) and that solved that issue for me.
Quote:
It's a shame the monitor knob on the Dock can't control the volume of the Orion software.
It can control the DAD/MTRX volume (which has Eucon implementation in the DADman software and can be locked to the control section.) Strangely can't control the HD Omni volume (which is just dumb.) I suggest bugging Antelope to implement Eucon for their mixer. Eucon is open for other developers (software, not hardware) and Antelope have enough users in the post market that it should be something they do. I'll bug them at NAMM, even though I have no dog in this fight, just to show an increased demand.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

Yes the S3 is a great little controller.
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Nut

This is all great info on the S3! Question about controlling plugins: is there a Fader Flip option to control the parameters on the Faders instead of the knobs? This is how I've been using the C24 and it's been much more efficient for me while mixing.
Old 9th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMS View Post
This is all great info on the S3! Question about controlling plugins: is there a Fader Flip option to control the parameters on the Faders instead of the knobs? This is how I've been using the C24 and it's been much more efficient for me while mixing.
There is, it's a bit less obvious than on the C24 but it's maybe one extra button press, from memory.

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can an S3 do VCA spill without the Ipad app? Is there a dedicated button for this on the S3?
Yes it can.
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermisonic View Post
There is, it's a bit less obvious than on the C24 but it's maybe one extra button press, from memory.
This is great news. Many thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can anyone using the S3 tell me if it allows custom plugin mapping (like with the C24).

Also wondering if some bugs from several years ago were cleared up:

Does the computer screen update as you bank the S3?

Can you shift + control click on a track to bank it to the first fader (with subsequent tracks following)?

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post
Can anyone using the S3 tell me if it allows custom plugin mapping (like with the C24).
Unfortunately no

Quote:
Also wondering if some bugs from several years ago were cleared up:

Does the computer screen update as you bank the S3?
Yes

Quote:
Can you shift + control click on a track to bank it to the first fader (with subsequent tracks following)?

Thanks
Yes
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately no

How is the default plugin mapping? Is it layed out in a logical way? A number of years ago when I looked at how plugins were mapped across multiple Artist mixers it was unusable. I heard that AAX and the S6 required some standardization so perhaps with the S3 + Dock it might actually be usable now?

I'm considering making the switch from C24 but the plugin control (with good ergonomics) is a huge part of my workflow so I don't want to give that up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Dear Zep,

I have to say that the plugin layouts on the S3 knobs are far from optimal. When I use FabFilter ProQ2 or EQ3, not all the knobs are in a logical order. You have to switch knob-pages to get to all the most important parameters.

Since a long time users wished to get custom plugin layouts, but AVID was not able to implement it, till now.

Nevertheless, I like the S3 a lot.

Cheers
Maik
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Dear Zep,

I have to say that the plugin layouts on the S3 knobs are far from optimal. When I use FabFilter ProQ2 or EQ3, not all the knobs are in a logical order. You have to switch knob-pages to get to all the most important parameters.

Since a long time users wished to get custom plugin layouts, but AVID was not able to implement it, till now.

Cheers
Maik
Thanks for the reply, Maik. That's unfortunate and quite surprising. Plugin mapping is a big part of why people want control surfaces. Amazing that Avid has not addressed this in the last 4 years when it has been implemented in the C24 and D-command since day 1.

Have you had a chance to see the plugin layout on the Dock? Is it better?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The plugin mapping is supposedly on its way. The plugin layouts in the Dock correspond to the S3.
The layouts I use are workable as you get used to them, however, it will be great when you can mod them yourself.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
Dear Zep,

Cheers
Maik
Quickly chiming in here: The Eucon layout is done by the plug in manufacturer. Its as easy as editing an xml file. I wrote to Eventide support once and they changed the Eucon layout for their Channel Strip in the next update. I hear FabFilter is pretty responsive too. Maybe worth a shot writing them..?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Brian,

I've spoken to FabFilter and they only told me, that it should be as expected since one of their last updates. It isn't on the S3, maybe on S6.

I've spoken with Avid support many times. End of the line was, they told me that it is by design on the S3 and can't be changed easily.

Cheers
Maik
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

if a plugin supports it, the eq and dynamic plugins map to default eq / comp mapping. no matter what eq you use (equilibrium, channel strip, brainworx console) - the lo gain is always at the same place, etc

this is hillarious!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It can but man, just got the app. Life is much better with the app. You don't need to dock to use the app
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search