The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
7.1 speakers into 5.1 editorial. DAW Software
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

7.1 speakers into 5.1 editorial.

Hi guys and gals. I recently did a big speaker upgrade in my editorial/sound design space. 7.1.2 atmos (gonna add 2 more top speakers in the next few months)

Im working on a project right now that is only 5.1 It feels a bit weird getting surrounds only from directly behind. I was thinking about splitting the ls/rs bus and sending it to both the side and rear speakers. Should I just lower the gain -3db per side? I feel like it should put more weight to the rear vs the side so it feels more rear. I know stages have boxes that do this but I would just set up some auxes in protools. Any insights?

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Sorry no insights on the 5.1 monitoring, but I have a burning question for you. What are you using as a monitor controller? JBL Intonato? Something else?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Sorry no insights on the 5.1 monitoring, but I have a burning question for you. What are you using as a monitor controller? JBL Intonato? Something else?
The genelec system glm software as controller. Everything is controlled. But it obviously doesn't mix inputs to create this result. Im sure I can bus all of this in protools but it would be nice to see if anyone is doing something similar.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I would measure it put pink through the ls and lr at the same time at reference level and see what the spl is. Lower both until you hit the desired level. Yes it's probably-3.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Question, why don't you use the side speakers for 5.1 and turn the rears that are directly behind you off? Traditional 5.1 theaters use arrays on the sides for surround, not the rear. It doesn't make sense to me that for 5.1 you'd turn the sides off and keep the backs instead of turning off the backs and keeping the sides.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
Hi guys and gals. I recently did a big speaker upgrade in my editorial/sound design space. 7.1.2 atmos (gonna add 2 more top speakers in the next few months)

Im working on a project right now that is only 5.1 It feels a bit weird getting surrounds only from directly behind. I was thinking about splitting the ls/rs bus and sending it to both the side and rear speakers. Should I just lower the gain -3db per side? I feel like it should put more weight to the rear vs the side so it feels more rear. I know stages have boxes that do this but I would just set up some auxes in protools. Any insights?

Sounds like you need a real proper monitor controller. In the long run you won't be happy with a mini-atmos setup and just a volume-knob. Switching between 5.1 7.1 and 7.1.2 and different surround delays and volume calibration for the surrounds will be a constant PITA without a real controller.

my 2 cents
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Sounds like you need a real proper monitor controller. In the long run you won't be happy with a mini-atmos setup and just a volume-knob. Switching between 5.1 7.1 and 7.1.2 and different surround delays and volume calibration for the surrounds will be a constant PITA without a real controller.

my 2 cents
Well I can do more then volume control with the software. I can have more tabs for different set ups. Plus it does eq and time of flight calibrations based on speaker location and room.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverson View Post
Question, why don't you use the side speakers for 5.1 and turn the rears that are directly behind you off? Traditional 5.1 theaters use arrays on the sides for surround, not the rear. It doesn't make sense to me that for 5.1 you'd turn the sides off and keep the backs instead of turning off the backs and keeping the sides.
Yeah maybe I should try that first. Traditional 5.1 does have the surrounds slightly behind. That’s my worry.
Old 3 days ago
Ideally, yes do it via a hardware solution. But if needed you can do it with auxes in Pro Tools.

But a bit easier and cleaner solution is to do it on a master fader with a Spanner insert. Works perfectly for it..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
Ideally, yes do it via a hardware solution. But if needed you can do it with auxes in Pro Tools.

But a bit easier and cleaner solution is to do it on a master fader with a Spanner insert. Works perfectly for it..
so spanner has the ability to split the rear channels out to both side and rear?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I have spanner and anymix pro and im not seeing how they will do this.

i put a email in to cargo cult about this. The 5.1 to 7.1 spanner disables the sides? I must be doing something wrong.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

ok I think I figured it out. 5.1 master aux into 5.1 sub bus on a 7.1 aux with spanner on it. Then you get full control of your b chain panning. Now to make sure my numbers are correct. Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
I'm not on a machine with Spanner so I can't check it, but here is a session with the setting used the last time I was in that room. I know it is a 5.1 to 7.1 instance. Good Luck!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

ok I think these are the correct setting for the archives if someone wants to do this:

5.1 master aux bus into 7.1 aux bus and then y pan settings are l and r side at 0 and lr and rr at -50 (im 99% sure) and then main mix all 4 surrounds down -3db.
Old 3 days ago
Didn't attach. Sorry. Try again:
Attached Files
File Type: zip DSS Spanner 51 to 71.ptx.zip (3.03 MB, 6 views)
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
Didn't attach. Sorry. Try again:
Cool. Ill take a look thanks
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

ok we did it a little differently. But to the same effect. -50 f/r between ls and lr
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

dolby pink is correct in my room with all surrounds @-3db.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search