The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Picture sync PT HD
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Picture sync PT HD

Hi

need a little advice. I run a native HD system on mc with black magic intensity extreme Thunderbolt playback.

No Sync HD. I hear AJA product work better but do I try that first or is it mandatory to get the Sync HD to get the DNX frame edges to be accurate?

If so Blue Sync HD or Grey? Are they both the same? Its seems so?

What steps have people taken to tighten picture performance?

I run an i7 Imac so chassis based playback cards not on the agenda. I am really quite confused technically why the sync HD is necessary when everything is running internally

Cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Lots of threads about this here on Gearsz and good info about this on PT Expert.

Short version of a long story:

-for the absolute best, repeatable, frame-edge accurate sync, you need a SYNC HD connected to PTHD with the serial port connection, and video hardware that can resolve to it.

-but, ever since the Avid Video Engine (AVE), video sync without SYNC HD etc. has gotten markedly better. My personal tests with a SynCheck and an AJA T-Tap revealed accuracy that was so good, that I don't use SYNC HD.

Every situation is different. I believe grey SYNC HD is backwards compatible with PT10, but blue SYNC is not forwards compatible with HDX or PT12. Someone else on this list can confirm that (or check with Avid).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Cheers

I shall try a T Tap. Yes there are lot of articles but there are so many variables and lots of conflicting reports.
Reports such as BM being the issue on mac and others saying its fine. My biggest issue with running the Sync HD is constant swapping of the clock source frame rate. I work on a great variety of projects and its just another thing that I might forget when up against it
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
I believe grey SYNC HD is backwards compatible with PT10, but blue SYNC is not forwards compatible with HDX or PT12. Someone else on this list can confirm that (or check with Avid).
There are 3 sync boxes from digidesign/AVID

Blue SYNC (no HD): Will work up to PT10

Blue SYNC HD: Is officially unsupported to work with PT11 and 12 but actually works fine, just like 96 and 192 interfaces.

Grey SYNC HD: exactly the same as the blue one.

I have a HDX system and don't see the need for a sync hd box.. I stick to 1 video codec (DNxHD) and it seems pretty consistent coming out of a black magic intensity pro.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search