The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing with Reverb for Film Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 6th August 2017
Here for the gear

Mixing with Reverb for Film

Hello! Every day I find out for myself something new in the field of audio post-production. And this community helps me a lot in this! Thank you!

I finished mixing the first feature film with surround sound for the film festival. And I have a couple of questions about how to properly use the reverb for mixing.

I have different tracks with DX, FX, MX. And now I need to add to them different types of reverb (room, street, echo). I have only one SEND channel with Altiverb in Pre-Fader mode, which I can connect to each track in Adobe Audion CC. It's not clear to me how I should switch to another type of reverb, if for example on one track with a dialogue, I have a voice that's on the street, then in the room. Same thing with the effects. I need to quickly switch. And this greatly hampered my movement. After all, as far as I understand, it's best to use reverb on the SEND channel, than on each individual audio track?

All my dialogue tracks are sent to DX Bus. From there, I'll connect the SEND channel with reverb. But it turns out that there will be only one type of reverb. I can not use a separate SEND channel for each track individually. This is very difficult and not economical.

I really hope for your help. Once again many thanks!
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Are you doing all of this in Audition?
Old 6th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Are you doing all of this in Audition?
Yes. In multitrack mode. It's very convenient for me to switch between Premiere and Audition.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

I like Audition, but I use it as a utility piece of software, not as the main event.

In theory you want to have individual sends coming from each of your dialog tracks so they can separately address the reverbs. Many mixers (myself included) run Altiverbs in A/B mode: 2 Altiverbs, A for the outdoor scene, then during that scene B is loading an IR, then bring the return up for B, and have A load while that return is down, etc.

Dialog tracks and dialog reverb returns go to the dialog bus. At a minimum, you need (6) Altiverbs to do this. (2) each for DLG, SFX, MUS (or DX, FX, MX). In reality, I run far more reverbs than that, but those are the basics.

I haven't learned Audition's automation system, but it took me only about 20min to figure out that I wasn't going to be leaving Pro Tools anytime soon for professional mixing.
Old 7th August 2017
Here for the gear

Thank you very much, Nathaniel Reichman! You brought me to the right idea! I appreciate your answer! Automation plugin Altiverb (IR Automation, Snapshots) is a very good way of working for the film! I hope that this will be useful for someone else and they will definitely find this topic!

Altiverb 7 manual - Automation and presets: https://youtu.be/BmkzrkdY6bY
Old 7th August 2017
Lives for gear

You're welcome. Good luck with the mix.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Great info on this thread.

Just one question - do most people send their reverbs from their DX tracks pre or post fader for film mixing?

Both seem to have advantages - post fader means you don't have to change the reverb send if the DX levels changes which makes things easy but then if you need to use reverb for perspective you need to use pre-fade to change the distance. I've got both setup in my session but seems a bit of a waste of sends at the moment. Interested to hear what others are doing.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I use pre-fader only if it's a special fx drowning in reverb kind of situation.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Post is my way too, also because: Dialogue mixing should also mean riding individual syllables and words up and down. Unless you are sending reverb from the/a dia bus, sending pre from the individual tracks wouldn't work well, or be double the work with those movements.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
I use pre-fader only if it's a special fx drowning in reverb kind of situation.
That's what I thought - but for that special fx situation are you using a new send to do that in pre-fader mode? As you can't automate pre/post fader in Protools, I currently have all my post fader sends doubled as pre-fader in the send block below but that might not be necessary - especially for all the different reverbs (mono/stereo/LCR/5.0)
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl View Post
Post is my way too, also because: Dialogue mixing should also mean riding individual syllables and words up and down. Unless you are sending reverb from the/a dia bus, sending pre from the individual tracks wouldn't work well, or be double the work with those movements.
Yeah - that's what I thought. Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFPCJ View Post
That's what I thought - but for that special fx situation are you using a new send to do that in pre-fader mode? As you can't automate pre/post fader in Protools, I currently have all my post fader sends doubled as pre-fader in the send block below but that might not be necessary - especially for all the different reverbs (mono/stereo/LCR/5.0)
I would just make a new pre-fader send for that purpose.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Great - thanks!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

How to change distance if using post fader send?
Old 2 days ago
Pre-fader sends for most reverb except for creating a special "reverb only" sound.
I have the option to send directly from a dx channel, but prefer to send from my dial chain bus so that the reverb is hit after noise reduction and bus eq/comp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search