The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stable PT12HD & OS X COMBO
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Stable PT12HD & OS X COMBO

Hi all!

I'm looking to finally move from 11HD to 12HD but am not looking forward to more working out the bugs...what OS and PTHD12 version combo have people been having the highest stability with - thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think the newest of both is the most stable I've seen it in a long time for itb only setups with no outboard gear. But I think a bunch of the problems are dependent on the Mac you have (i.e. Trash Can, 5.x , etc), and especially how your outboard gear is setup.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Running PT 12.8 HD with Mac OS 10.10.5, HDX, Mac 5,1 64GB RAM, 4x 2TB SSDs, nVIDIA GTX 680 4GB

stabile, stabile, stabile

I mention the graphics card at the end because both graphics cards and video output cards (AJA/Blackmagic) can make a difference on stability too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

PT 12.7.1 with macOS 10.12.5 is a great combo. PT12.8 might be as good for stability, not sure yet. Also, I noticed a big improvement in GUI update speed (plug-in windows, scrolling, meters, etc.) when going from macOS 10.10.x to 10.12.x. Sierra's graphics are fast.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I think the newest of both is the most stable I've seen it in a long time for itb only setups with no outboard gear. But I think a bunch of the problems are dependent on the Mac you have (i.e. Trash Can, 5.x , etc), and especially how your outboard gear is setup.
Thanks for the replies - I'm on a 2012 Mac Pro tower and use no outboard gear (my interface is an apogee quartet) It took so long to find a stable combo (I'm on 11.3 and OS X 10.8.5) that I hesitate to upgrade but it's becoming a requirement to stay current with a lot of the stages where my shows are mixed
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaktheory View Post
Thanks for the replies - I'm on a 2012 Mac Pro tower and use no outboard gear (my interface is an apogee quartet) It took so long to find a stable combo (I'm on 11.3 and OS X 10.8.5) that I hesitate to upgrade but it's becoming a requirement to stay current with a lot of the stages where my shows are mixed
I run a apogee duet, seems really stable but I'm on a trashcan. Another thing to ponder is that I had some problems with a bunch of 11 plugins that moved to 12.x(12.8 is great but is actually a fairly large bump from 12.7), all the companies updated things so they work great now but if you don't have active licenses this can cost you some money. Also in some cases this effects forward compatibility(because of slight algorithm changes to the 12.x plugins), and in almost all cases you can't go backward on sessions (i.e. I have found that if I need to go 12 back to 11 I basically have to print to wav files almost like I'm exporting back to an editor, even turning off all the plugins doesn't help in many cases). Somewhere I saw how to dual install 12 and 11, it's not as obvious as you'd think as the drivers are different so it's not as simple as just having two application objects.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I upgraded to Sierra after suffering on El Cap for a while but it didn't solve my graphics issues and actually introduced a new one. Also, I found my old midi controller didn't work on Sierra, nor did MPEG Streamclip which I use often. I've since gone back to Yosemite and it's feeling better. I'm running...

PT12.7.1
OS10.10.5
MacPro 5,1
32GB RAM
nVIDIA Geforce GTX 960
Avid Omni

JR
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
10.12.6 and PT 12.8 has been the best combo for me since 10.3.7 and Snow Leopard.

PT12.8
OS 10.12.6
MacPro 5,1
64GB RAM
nVIDIA Geforce GTX TitanX
HD Native / Avid Omni
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaschaP View Post
10.12.6 and PT 12.8 has been the best combo for me since 10.3.7 and Snow Leopard.

PT12.8
OS 10.12.6
MacPro 5,1
64GB RAM
nVIDIA Geforce GTX TitanX
HD Native / Avid Omni
This question is not just directed at you, but anyone else.
I have that last Towre 5,1 Westmere.
Was on 10.8.5 for years till some new plugs needed 10.10.5 min
I am always hesitant on upgrading full levels as from years of experience I've noticed the mac slows down (well it does with EVERY iPhone I've ever bought since 2007, each new upgraded with unnecessary features, just takes a hit on the processor and slows everything down). I am contemplating on going to PT 12.8.1 although super happy with my rock solid and stable 10.10.5 Yosemite running PT 11.3.2 HD with 40GB ram. Once you go up, you can't go back down. I did notice a minor start up hit going from a WD Black caviar 7200 running 10.8.5 to SSD 10.10.5

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I am contemplating on going to PT 12.8.1
That'll be kind of hard since it isn't out yet.

Quote:
although super happy with my rock solid and stable 10.10.5 Yosemite running PT 11.3.2 HD with 40GB ram. Once you go up, you can't go back down. I did notice a minor start up hit going from a WD Black caviar 7200 running 10.8.5 to SSD 10.10.5
Do what we do in production environments: Clone system drive and upgrade one copy on a separate boot drive. If you notice "unliveable" issues, just go back to the previous drive. Drives are cheap. Doesn't take more than a few minutes (especially if you are already being responsible and making system drive clones every day.)

But as you can see above, plenty of us have 12.8 on Mac OS X 10.10.5 with no issues on the Mac 5,1 tower. (but I'm surprised you took a hit going to an SSD though you haven't mentioned which SSD -- hopefully it wasn't a SanDisk. SSD replacements for the system drive have always made the Mac Towers seem like brand new speedy machines.)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
That'll be kind of hard since it isn't out yet.

Do what we do in production environments: Clone system drive and upgrade one copy on a separate boot drive. If you notice "unliveable" issues, just go back to the previous drive. Drives are cheap. Doesn't take more than a few minutes (especially if you are already being responsible and making system drive clones every day.)

But as you can see above, plenty of us have 12.8 on Mac OS X 10.10.5 with no issues on the Mac 5,1 tower. (but I'm surprised you took a hit going to an SSD though you haven't mentioned which SSD -- hopefully it wasn't a SanDisk. SSD replacements for the system drive have always made the Mac Towers seem like brand new speedy machines.)
Sorry about the 12.8.1, for some reason I thought that came out. Thinking ahead I guess lol

It was the Samsun 850. I guess the thing I noticed is a scroll bar going across when it boots up which I never had before on a spin drive on 10.8.5. I had the most DIFFICULT time getting 10.10 from 10.8. Found a loop hole and bought a new Samsun 850 SSD 1TB and put it in the mac and took it to an Apple store and had them install 10.10.5 from their system. I wrote a pretty detailed description on that some where in GS or on Avid's forums.

Would getting another SSD and putting 10.12 on it and cloning mine copy ALL of my settings and plug-ins, apps?

I spent a good portion of my life having to reinstall all of my PT plug ins, finding all my apps, programs, Protools, 3rd party software, cross refreshing what was in my ilok and getting those installed again.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was the Samsun 850. I guess the thing I noticed is a scroll bar going across when it boots up which I never had before on a spin drive on 10.8.5.
The scroll bar was an addition to the OS. If you time the boot times, it should still be faster.

Quote:
Would getting another SSD and putting 10.12 on it and cloning mine copy ALL of my settings and plug-ins, apps?
Get another SSD, Clone your current SSD to the new one. Pull your current SSD and put it in a save place labeled, boot to the clone, do the upgrade of the OS on the now cloned one. Everything will carry and work. The days of needing to do a Mac OS clean install seems to be over -- migration has been pretty flawless. You may have to do a few driver installs after (not related to Pro Tools) as I know some hardware makers started to do new drivers optimized for 10.12 and up (RME for one.) But that's just an "install-over" situation. In general, I'd reinstall any audio hardware drivers after the update is complete in case the driver installer is "self-selective" based on the OS (the HDX drivers from Avid, any other manufacturers like RME -- though they are explicit when they branch, etc)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
The scroll bar was an addition to the OS. If you time the boot times, it should still be faster.

Get another SSD, Clone your current SSD to the new one. Pull your current SSD and put it in a save place labeled, boot to the clone, do the upgrade of the OS on the now cloned one. Everything will carry and work. The days of needing to do a Mac OS clean install seems to be over -- migration has been pretty flawless. You may have to do a few driver installs after (not related to Pro Tools) as I know some hardware makers started to do new drivers optimized for 10.12 and up (RME for one.) But that's just an "install-over" situation. In general, I'd reinstall any audio hardware drivers after the update is complete in case the driver installer is "self-selective" based on the OS (the HDX drivers from Avid, any other manufacturers like RME -- though they are explicit when they branch, etc)
Okay, Awesome!
thanks, as I am sure this will help others who google this and get led to here.

I have Carbon Copy, would that be better to use (which I use daily to back up all of my sessions at the end of the night) or use Mac's Migration assist?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have Carbon Copy, would that be better to use (which I use daily to back up all of my sessions at the end of the night) or use Mac's Migration assist?
I use Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper!

Mostly I favour SuperDuper! these days to do clones. But both are good to create bootable clones.

Migration assistant isn't for this. That's for creating a new system and then moving stuff over. This is not what you want to do. You want to upgrade a system in place. (You are just cloning it first so you have a back up of the original system.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
Another thing to ponder is that I had some problems with a bunch of 11 plugins that moved to 12.x(12.8 is great but is actually a fairly large bump from 12.7), all the companies updated things so they work great now but if you don't have active licenses this can cost you some money. Also in some cases this effects forward compatibility(because of slight algorithm changes to the 12.x plugins), and in almost all cases you can't go backward on sessions (i.e. I have found that if I need to go 12 back to 11 I basically have to print to wav files almost like I'm exporting back to an editor, even turning off all the plugins doesn't help in many cases). Somewhere I saw how to dual install 12 and 11, it's not as obvious as you'd think as the drivers are different so it's not as simple as just having two application objects.
I have co-install of 10.3.10 and 12.7 on Yosemite and plugins work fine back and forth.
The only difference in plugins is that they needed to be 64 bits moving from 10 to 11/12. As far as a plugin is concerned there is no difference from 11 to 12, except for 12.8 having a wider bus option.

What plugins are you referring to specifically?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
I have co-install of 10.3.10 and 12.7 on Yosemite and plugins work fine back and forth.
The only difference in plugins is that they needed to be 64 bits moving from 10 to 11/12. As far as a plugin is concerned there is no difference from 11 to 12, except for 12.8 having a wider bus option.

What plugins are you referring to specifically?
I don't get exact equivalent wav renders between 11 to 12 on anything to do with time delay compensation. On things with complex bus operations, like spanner, sometimes even within version 12 subversions break things (i.e. spanner is great with the recent version on 12.8, but on 12.5 that's another version of spanner, so I have to have maintenance plans on all my plugins that do complex bus operations like going back between stereo, 4.0, 5.1,7.1.2).

Another thing, and I have had a hard time finding out what the problem is, but when I do heavy frequency and wavelet type of math for sound design, on some versions I get a sound "chirp" while this isn't a problem in 12.8.

I guess what I'm saying is there are protools bugs in 11.x all the way through 12.8 in protools, and they seem to sometimes go away on a version then come back for some reason, I mainly see these impacts on heavy sound design sessions but my "opinion" since I don't have the scoop on what's going on behind the scenes, is that the aax plugins vendors are doing well but all the changes to protools is creating little bugs (my gut feel is the vendor is doing workaround on protools bugs so I don't think its the "fault" of the plugin).
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Parallel to this topic somehow, there is any one here using mac trashcan with hdx on magma thunderbolt chassis? Any issues? Any combo of os + pt of more stability?

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search