The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nuendo 8 for post? DAW Software
Old 10th August 2017
Gear Guru

remember: this is a Facility that is thinking of cross-grading to Nuendo .. not a single person .. huge decision .. and i think the question has been answered by several folks here .. WB is using Pro TOols .. not Nuendo .. so the OP's owner got some bad info .. has been a few days since OP has posted .. and i hope this has been resolved ..
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Head

I already said that Nuendo is a great system for post, if anyone still doubts that.

But crossgrading Daw software an entire functioning facility on a whim, in my opinion is a no-no. You have to look at the big picture.
There has to be better arguments than "WB Moved to Nuendo" - it is the equivalent of "OMG, artist X switched from guitar y to guitar z - I have to do it too!"

You do get nice added value in form of built in conforming solution, fantastic and simple to use adr & spotting tools, integrated media data base a-la soundminer (which you might not need at all), but let's take a look at a system deployment process from a project management perspective:

1. Nuendo software has lower initial purchase price, and also maintenance is not expensive, compared to Avid products. The trade-offs are that is, that updates are infrequent, and nearly every big release has had a half-cycle paid refresh (Nuendo 6 to 6.5 for example). You are really not saving THAT much, ESPECIALLY if you have an existing system in place.

2. Nuendo uses different dongles (Syncrosoft) for copy protection, so there will be additional license management related tasks, in addition to managing Iloks.

3. The I/O & Monitor I/O system MIGHT have to be changed completely. You can use Avid interfaces with ASIO/Core Audio system, but you are setting yourself up for a maintenance disaster (drivers/compatibility/OS), and you will have to tweak some things, to get it running properly.
Also - Avid H/W, you can only use 64 I/O, no matter how many HDX cards are in DAW computer.

4. If frame-edge sync is a requirement, Nuendo Syncstation unit will be needed, which is an additional cost of over ~2500 euro per DAW. If you have Sync HD, it is no good.

5. The entire plugin base will have to be changed to VST/CA, which might be a big maintenance task.

6. New control surfaces will be needed, unless you already have Eucon compatible systems in your house. The only current "pro" option for Nuendo is Nuage. If the facility still uses D-commands and D-controls - those won't work. You can get along fine with Avid artists & S3, but for large projects you really want something like a Nuage. I have no firsthand info on how S6 works with Nuendo - haven't seen a setup like that. S5MC and System 5 is fine.

7. The Video engine of Nuendo is a hit & miss situation. There have historically been a lot of issues - from incompatible codecs, to dodgy multi-screen performance on some computers. Prepare your video conversion application just in case

I think we scratched the surface here. there are a lot more issues to consider - user training, pros/cons of software function sets, Import/Export issues, compatibility with other facilities, shared storage,Daw linking, Yamaha/Steinberg tech support in your area, equipment replacement policy of hardware vendors, if something goes wrong etc.

The value proposition suddenly doesn't seem so attractive anymore.

Starting a Nuendo facility room from scratch - that is a different thing - I would do it again and again.
Old 15th August 2017
Regardless of the features or performance of either:

-If you're working in a bubble with nobody from the outside ever... use whatever software you want.

-If you plan on collaborating with anyone, or hiring freelancers. Pro Tools.
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear
Just a sidenote, not part of the technical discussion at all:

I've noticed that many of the people who insist "ProTools is the software most people use, so you have to be running it"... are running ProTools in a Mac environment. Hasn't Windows always had the lion's share of the OS market... and it's growing even bigger, now that Apple is concentrating most of their efforts on IOS.

Just an observation. Not trying to persuade anyone to change DAW or OS.
And not trying to start a flame war, or get into an argument about "Win is for business but Mac is better for audio" or "PT is better for music but Nuendo is better for post..."
Old 16th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rose View Post
Just a sidenote, not part of the technical discussion at all:

I've noticed that many of the people who insist "ProTools is the software most people use, so you have to be running it"... are running ProTools in a Mac environment. Hasn't Windows always had the lion's share of the OS market... and it's growing even bigger, now that Apple is concentrating most of their efforts on IOS.

Just an observation. Not trying to persuade anyone to change DAW or OS.
And not trying to start a flame war, or get into an argument about "Win is for business but Mac is better for audio" or "PT is better for music but Nuendo is better for post..."
PT and Nuendo are both cross-platform. I don't think the OS is really relevant in this particular discussion.

Alistair

Last edited by UnderTow; 16th August 2017 at 10:05 AM..
Old 16th August 2017
Lives for gear
I don't think the OS is really relevant in this particular discussion.

I was making the point that the logic of "use this, it's the most popular" might be relevant. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

I'm in NYC and it's all PT here. I feel like PT + Eucon has finally caught up to the ease of use and customization that I enjoyed with Nuendo in the late 2000's. Out of the box, Nuendo is a great piece of software and I wish it caught on more in the states.

Knowing and having both doesn't hurt.

Good luck.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
In the case of N8 it seems to me that Steinberg a) didn't fully realize the extent to which the new offline processing implementation is actually not working, and b) ignored or undervalued the implication of degrading iZotope RX interaction. Both are pretty important in Nuendo.

At any rate, I think Pro Tools is great and I think Nuendo 7 is great.
Sorry to drift OT but, seeing this via a nuendo/izotope search and wondering if ozone 8 is functioning correctly in Nuendo 8?
It’s supposed to but?

I’m on nuendo 7 for straight music prod (no desire to move to 8) and got ozone 8 being mis-informed it was good to go on nuendo 7. It’s not. Crashes ensue often, albeit I figured out a bit of workaround that at times works.

Otherwise curious if 8 now, more recently, offers anything appreciable ..for simple music prod.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt916 View Post
His reasoning is that Warner Brothers sound in LA has changed from Protools to Nuendo for post because Avid Protools has too many problems.

Thanks.
How exactly did he get his job?

For an infrastructure change of that proportion in a corporate environment you need at least a deep analysis of the current situation, the future situation, the CAPEX and OPEX investments needed over the next years, a detailed business case what the advantages and disadvantages of such a move entail, scheduled time and resources for migrating, staff training and workflow adaption/optimizing, an OK from senior management, stakeholder and risk analysis, and - above all - a valid reason. 'WB did it too' is not even in the remote neighborhood of a valid reason, even if it were true. Which it is apparently not. And that alone speaks volumes about the 'analysis' he did.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Sorry to drift OT but, seeing this via a nuendo/izotope search and wondering if ozone 8 is functioning correctly in Nuendo 8?
It’s supposed to but?
No idea. Check on the official forum and the Steinberg DAW subsection here maybe. This is the post section so you might catch more people elsewhere.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
No idea. Check on the official forum and the Steinberg DAW subsection here maybe. This is the post section so you might catch more people elsewhere.
FWIW just heard that the latest versions of each are said to be now supported per the official forum.

Don’t know about the post world but, I however just can’t otherwise see a reason to go from 7 to 8.
Will have to consider.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear
Going from N7 to N8 takes a little bit of relearning. But it's not hard to capture your keyboard shortcuts and macros from 7, and migrate them to 8... you just have to poke around a little.

As a postie, I found the new features of 8 worthwhile. In my world, it's all about saving time.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Why wouldn't you just install both nuendo and Pro tools and slowly move or test until a permanent DAW is settled on?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I've been using Nuendo since 4 which is not much to talk about on a 4 core computer. Fast forward to 2019 where 12 to 18 core solutions are available with outboard DSP (UAD), and we see Pro Tools going Native, as Thunderbolt 1,2,3 has given the HDX crowd forced obsolescence, while losing an attractive portion of Pro Tools functionality. Why hasn't Pro Tools caught up with the Thunderbolt/DSP/ADA/Top Notch Plugins trend? At this point, Pro Tools interfaces are not much more than expensive dongles, with no DSP, unlocking more channels of input...with a stack of HDX cards in the garage...(or, PCIe/TB adapters available for extended life cycle of HDX cards)

It's like waiting for the 3 Stooges to get their act together...while the professional community sweats future purchases and trends...Nuendo 8 and the Apollo "X" series is no different than running the PT Ultimate platform, and that "industry standard" sales pitch is taking a noticeable back seat to current trends as HD becomes Native...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaustew View Post
that "industry standard" sales pitch is taking a noticeable back seat to current trends as HD becomes Native...
No it's not.

Come to the major markets in North America, see how far you get without pro-tools.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't think the west coast USA (ie LA etc) large-scale post industry is going to shift away from PT or its descendants until there is another major shift in the technology of filmmaking. It is as embedded as 35mm magfilm was at one time. The "next" thing, probably not soon, might look like DaVinci Resolve (or a similar all-in-one Avid MC), or it might be something really radical that we haven't thought of yet. But while the tool is still a "traditional" DAW, the big Co's will probably stay PT because it would be too much trouble of all kinds to change, even if PT isn't the best tool at any given time or version.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Since this thread has started I have moved from N8 to PTU.

N8 was what I would call a nightmare release in my world that was released at least a year before it's time that made me switch from Nuendo to ProTools. I figured I would spend less time working around the showstopper Nuendo bugs than learning to fly a PT rig. I had used Nuendo for over a decade after switching from Fairlight Fame.
Nuendo has a gazillion bells and whistles but Steinberg increasingly get the basics wrong.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
The other thing about PT is that Digi very cleverly seeded all the music/recording schools with free copies. That's what the kids learned on, so it's what they're equipped to use when they get jobs. I was working for a different major DAW in the 90s (not Nuendo) and everybody in the industry was aware of this.

My son was ass't CE at a big news radio complex a few years ago. He asked why they did all their story production in PT... when there are plenty of cheaper, faster DAWs designed just for that purpose. Operation dept's reply? "We can get PT operators real cheap and don't have to train them".

FWIW, I've got Nuendo 8. Yesterday's sweetening job went very quickly and the efficiency surprised my client. N8 does take some getting used to and customizing when you first install it... but N has always been customizable.

This is not to counter Hench and Philper's statement about PT being the West Coast standard. It is, and if you want to play nicely with other studios in that market, you have to run it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search