The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL Intonato Analog Output Sound Quality
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

JBL Intonato Analog Output Sound Quality

The JBL Intonato price point appears to be hard to beat. 24 i/o digital analog...Anyone have any thoughts on the quality of the analog outs?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cant answer you but the cheapest way to avoid the analog stage is blu to dante ($900) and focusrite red dante to aes (16 channels) for $2000. Im all ears for anything else.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
Cant answer you but the cheapest way to avoid the analog stage is blu to dante ($900) and focusrite red dante to aes (16 channels) for $2000. Im all ears for anything else.
I haven't heard about Red dante quality either good or bad. Why do you think its converters are better than the Intonato's one?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I haven't heard about Red dante quality either good or bad. Why do you think its converters are better than the Intonato's one?
I'm not using converters. Just that's the cheapest way to get 16 out aes
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
I'm not using converters. Just that's the cheapest way to get 16 out aes
It seems that the OP is looking for the analog outs and asking about their quality...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems that the OP is looking for the analog outs and asking about their quality...
Thats why I prefaced my statement with "i cant answer you"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for experience

What happened to your Trinnov? Gunk come back to your speakers?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
What happened to your Trinnov? Gunk come back to your speakers?
I never had a trinnov. I would enjoy taking it for a test drive if I could commit the 12k.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Minister was talking to Pirate Post.
He at one time had a Trinnov.
He returned it. Now he is setting up a new room and is interested in the Intonato.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
He returned it. Now he is setting up a new room and is interested in the Intonato.
Ahh ok cool thanks. VK loves the trinnov.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

@piratepost, it is all Harman, JBL, BSS Audio, etc.
Very Traditional Pro audio companies, right?

I use a bss blu 16 in my studio and have no complaints. Gegan also uses it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
While I liked aspects of the Trinnov it becomes a non starter in a working professional environment for me . On the surface it looks easy but it's a deep box and it's near impossible to find more than one person who appears to understand the box in depth on the west coast. Also don't like the apparent monopoly one vendor has on the box. Dislike Vintage King. Did I just say that?
Investigating gear for a room for a client. The price point and feature set on the Intonato looks almost too good to be true. I would say JBL might have a what a modern version of a MultiMax might look like. Back to my original question. 24 analog and digital I/o for $2,900 list along with the other features appears to be a steal. Where were the compromises made?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I have 0 experience with the Intonato but I haven't so much as thought about the quality of analog outs on any pro level interface in at least 10 years. They've all been "good enough" to not notice. I like AES and MADI for routing purposes and extended runs sure. Analogue here would be OK for me and as the last link in the chain before the amps I can't imagine they'd skimp there...
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Analogue here would be OK for me and as the last link in the chain before the amps I can't imagine they'd skimp there...
I agree about the quality, however its not the last link before the amps.
What about the crossovers for bi-amp speakers? It seems that Intonato doesn't have ones.
At the time I use QSC DCM D10D for that purpose, but I am very limited to 5.1 only. What are you guys using for crossovers?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about the crossovers for bi-amp speakers? It seems that Intonato doesn't have ones.
At the time I use QSC DCM D10D for that purpose, but I am very limited to 5.1 only. What are you guys using for crossovers?
Good point. I was looking at the JBL diagram with the 7 series monitors and Crown DCI amp.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hm, that's usually exactly what a speaker processor is for. Doesn't the Intonato have configurable high and low cut filters so you can cross-over and time-align your multi-amped front?

That why people do with their BSS, QSYS, Nions etc.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Hm, that's usually exactly what a speaker processor is for. Doesn't the Intonato have configurable high and low cut filters so you can cross-over and time-align your multi-amped front?
Yes you are right. Just passed through the Intonato Manual and it has crossovers and delays in it.
It looks like quite sophisticated system.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepost View Post
Investigating gear for a room for a client. The price point and feature set on the Intonato looks almost too good to be true. I would say JBL might have a what a modern version of a MultiMax might look like. Back to my original question. 24 analog and digital I/o for $2,900 list along with the other features appears to be a steal. Where were the compromises made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I have 0 experience with the Intonato but I haven't so much as thought about the quality of analog outs on any pro level interface in at least 10 years. They've all been "good enough" to not notice. I like AES and MADI for routing purposes and extended runs sure. Analogue here would be OK for me and as the last link in the chain before the amps I can't imagine they'd skimp there...
I found the MultiMax to have a great feature set, but the sound is really grainy. Wish I could afford a new box like and the expense of someone coming to tune the room after install.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I found the MultiMax to have a great feature set, but the sound is really grainy. Wish I could afford a new box like and the expense of someone coming to tune the room after install.
Mulitmax sounds grainy? I ow ned one for 5 years, never thought it sohnded anything but super transparent.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
I've been using an Intonato for about 2 months now in my home studio and I'm very impressed with it. I just got the remote from Westlake Pro yesterday and it really makes it a solid replacement for the Multimax and then some. The D/A converters sound as good as the Apogee I/O I was using before and I've noticed a big difference in my room since I put it in and set up the auto tuning and time delay.

I was using a Bluesky AMC before this and I never felt like I could get the EQ dialed in on my own, then the Intonato came out and the Auto room correction is giving me much better results than the AMC. You can take multiple measurements around the room and it will process them together rather than having one spot like the AMC. I've heard several of my mixes in a Dolby tuned room and a very large dub stage (both tuned with Meyer Galileos) and the translation is impressive. I also checked with Dolby to see if it was up to the task of tuning my room if I booked one of their guys and 2 of them feel confident in it's abilities, so that really sold me on it. It only has 20 bands of EQ per channel, so it may not have as much DSP under the hood as a BSS or a Galileo, but it's 20 bands of fully parametric as opposed to 32 bands of graphic, so much more precision.

The routing and fold down capabilities are exactly what I was looking for as well. I have my main 5.1 and an LtRt sending over AES to the Intonato and I can flip through speaker sets and fold downs as fast as I can press the button and I can easily upscale to Atmos if I ever need to.

It does seem to good to be true, but so far so good and with the remote now and Ipad coming later I think it's a worth while investment especially when nothing else on the market can do what it does at the same price point.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunninghamaudio View Post
I've been using an Intonato for about 2 months now in my home studio and I'm very impressed with it. I just got the remote from Westlake Pro yesterday and it really makes it a solid replacement for the Multimax and then some. The D/A converters sound as good as the Apogee I/O I was using before and I've noticed a big difference in my room since I put it in and set up the auto tuning and time delay.

I was using a Bluesky AMC before this and I never felt like I could get the EQ dialed in on my own, then the Intonato came out and the Auto room correction is giving me much better results than the AMC. You can take multiple measurements around the room and it will process them together rather than having one spot like the AMC. I've heard several of my mixes in a Dolby tuned room and a very large dub stage (both tuned with Meyer Galileos) and the translation is impressive. I also checked with Dolby to see if it was up to the task of tuning my room if I booked one of their guys and 2 of them feel confident in it's abilities, so that really sold me on it. It only has 20 bands of EQ per channel, so it may not have as much DSP under the hood as a BSS or a Galileo, but it's 20 bands of fully parametric as opposed to 32 bands of graphic, so much more precision.

The routing and fold down capabilities are exactly what I was looking for as well. I have my main 5.1 and an LtRt sending over AES to the Intonato and I can flip through speaker sets and fold downs as fast as I can press the button and I can easily upscale to Atmos if I ever need to.

It does seem to good to be true, but so far so good and with the remote now and Ipad coming later I think it's a worth while investment especially when nothing else on the market can do what it does at the same price point.
Any word on the iPad app?
Old 3 days ago
Quote:

Thanks allot for your review!
Do you use bi-amped speakers? How the Intonato deals with its crossovers?
If you use with bi-amped speakers, it means that the screen channels (LCR) will require 6 channels (two for each channel). Do you find it easy to manage or there are some hassle and learning curve?
Also I am wondering how much the remote costs. I can't find the price anywhere...
Thanks again!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I've heard several of my mixes in a Dolby tuned room and a very large dub stage (both tuned with Meyer Galileos) and the translation is impressive.

I wonder what "very large dub stage tuned with Meyer Galileo 's"
Mr Cunningham is referring to?

His mixes did sound very good, at the same time one must acknowledge he is a very good mixer mentored by an incredibly great mixer ( Mr. Pirate Post).
If what I heard is any indication of the JBL Intonato in his monitor chain and now the remote option for controlling it the price/ quality ratio is a home run.

Last edited by dr.sound; 3 days ago at 03:20 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you use with bi-amped speakers, it means that the screen channels (LCR) will require 6 channels (two for each channel). Do you find it easy to manage or there are some hassle and learning curve?
Also I am wondering how much the remote costs. I can't find the price anywhere...
Thanks again!
According to the manual the Intonato only has fixes module setups you can chose from. It's not universally modular like the generic DSP systems line Qsys, BSS, Xilica etc.:

20 full-range speakers, 4 subwoofers
20 full-range speakers, 2 subwoofers, and 2-channel aux output with talkback
3 bi-amplified speakers, 14 full-range speakers, 4 subwoofers
3 bi-amplified speakers, 14 full-range speakers, 2 subwoofers, and 2-channel aux output with
talkback
10 bi-amplified speakers, 4 subwoofers
10 bi-amplified speakers, 2 subwoofers, and 2-channel aux output with talkback

So you might want to check the manual if what you need is included.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
According to the manual the Intonato only has fixes module setups you can chose from. It's not universally modular like the generic DSP systems line Qsys, BSS, Xilica etc.:

20 full-range speakers, 4 subwoofers
20 full-range speakers, 2 subwoofers, and 2-channel aux output with talkback
3 bi-amplified speakers, 14 full-range speakers, 4 subwoofers
3 bi-amplified speakers, 14 full-range speakers, 2 subwoofers, and 2-channel aux output with
talkback
10 bi-amplified speakers, 4 subwoofers
10 bi-amplified speakers, 2 subwoofers, and 2-channel aux output with talkback

So you might want to check the manual if what you need is included.
Yeah, I passed breathy through the manual before. I am just wondering if tuning and setting up the room is quite straight forward from the reviewer's experience.
We are indie mixers often cannot allow to bring any Dolby folks in to check. So we need to learn the whole tuning process by ourselves.
I know for sure that in my country there is no one who can tune the room. My Dolby rep has no idea about how to tune a professional mixing stage. He only deals with the cinemas...
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thanks again!
No problem. Doesn't seem to be many folks on the forum using it yet and lots of interest out there.

I'm using ATC SCM25s so they are self powered, but there is settings in the Intonato system for full range and bi amplified. Bi amped would require 2 outputs per channel but they have presets built in the system setup to get you started.

I think the remote lists around $700. You don't need it to run the Intonato. There is a desktop app and Ipad coming at some point, but I'm loving the remote. I can bank through all my scenes on the top display and it's quickly become something I just reach for and don't have to think about.

What's really cool about the software is that being base over IP, I can also load the software on my laptop and chill in the back of the room on the couch and watch Netflix and have full control over the monitors.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
I wonder what "very large dub stage tuned with Meyer Galileo 's"
Mr Cunningham is referring to?

His mixes did sound very good, at the same time one must acknowledge he is a very good mixer mentored by an incredibly great mixer ( Mr. Pirate Post).
If what I heard is any indication of the JBL Intonato in his monitor chain and now the remote option for controlling it the price/ quality ratio is a home run.
Thanks Marti! That's quite a compliment coming from you sir!
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
No problem. Doesn't seem to be many folks on the forum using it yet and lots of interest out there.

I'm using ATC SCM25s so they are self powered, but there is settings in the Intonato system for full range and bi amplified. Bi amped would require 2 outputs per channel but they have presets built in the system setup to get you started.

I think the remote lists around $700. You don't need it to run the Intonato. There is a desktop app and Ipad coming at some point, but I'm loving the remote. I can bank through all my scenes on the top display and it's quickly become something I just reach for and don't have to think about.

What's really cool about the software is that being base over IP, I can also load the software on my laptop and chill in the back of the room on the couch and watch Netflix and have full control over the monitors.
Thank you. So I assume that you send your HD I/O (or whatever its is) AES out into the Intonato? As soon as intonanto a DSP unit, there is no sense in cycle conversion if feeding analog out from HD I/O to Analog in on Intonato (A to D and then D to A).
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thank you. So I assume that you send your HD I/O (or whatever its is) AES out into the Intonato? As soon as intonanto a DSP unit, there is no sense in cycle conversion if feeding analog out from HD I/O to Analog in on Intonato (A to D and then D to A).
Yes, I'm just going AES out direct to the Intonato. Down the road I'm hoping to go 24 in with the Blulink.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
Mulitmax sounds grainy? I ow ned one for 5 years, never thought it sohnded anything but super transparent.
I compared it to my Passive controller, and the Avocet. Sounded grainy by comparison For the price-point, they had to cut corners somewhere.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search