The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time Factory 2 irregularities
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Time Factory 2 irregularities

I've been using TF2 for a while now, and it's great.
However, I find the resulting files sometimes have a padding of silence at either end.
I did a conversion of 23.98 to 25 of an interleaved 5.1 file as well as a stereo file and upon bringing them into PT, I find that they don't line up with each other. No drift, they just start at random times within the file.
It's a 12 minute short film and there are no sync pops at either end, and no guide audio on the 25p QT.
Other than eye-balling and trying to sync these files, what else can I try??

I am thinking I can put a pop at first and last frames and export this mix as a dummy, and sync the originals to the one with the pops?

I wish exports from TF were more reliable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Unfortunately, this is a well known issue. If you don't already print your files with sync pops, make sure to always cut in head & tail pops before you do processing with TF. Leave a bit of silence before and after as the process sometimes shifts the pop outside the file boundaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundox View Post
However, I find the resulting files sometimes have a padding of silence at either end.
I did a conversion of 23.98 to 25 of an interleaved 5.1 file as well as a stereo file and upon bringing them into PT, I find that they don't line up with each other. No drift, they just start at random times within the file.
It's a 12 minute short film and there are no sync pops at either end, and no guide audio on the 25p QT.

I am thinking I can put a pop at first and last frames and export this mix as a dummy, and sync the originals to the one with the pops?

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So, it turns out the 5.1 mix was delayed by about 2 frames, with a hint of drifting that amounted to about quarter frame for the entire 12 minutes.
Not cool but I'll live with it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

you could try a different approach:

when doing 24 / 25 fps conversion i first do the resample in protools - during import audio or import session i resample the original mix with the "Film to PAL" or "PAL to Film" preset - what i get is a perfectly synced, resmapled new mix, only higher / lower in pitch. then i fix only the pitch in TF2.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Cut your audio at the first frame of action e.g. 01:00:00:00

That FFOA at 23.98 is still your FFOA at 25. Add an end pip so you know where to cut off the silence that TF2 sometimes puts in during the conversion process. Then once you've converted you can add leader/pop/tone etc. Always worked for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitbh View Post
Cut your audio at the first frame of action e.g. 01:00:00:00

That FFOA at 23.98 is still your FFOA at 25. Add an end pip so you know where to cut off the silence that TF2 sometimes puts in during the conversion process. Then once you've converted you can add leader/pop/tone etc. Always worked for me.
Nope, I've had multiple occasions where TF2 put in 1 or 2 frames of silence at the top.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nope, I've had multiple occasions where TF2 put in 1 or 2 frames of silence at the top.
That's interesting. I've never had it at the start. like... ever. What is your workflow for doing it? Drag in multi-mono's, convert and join to a single polywav, converting with ZTX? High localisation off/on? What file format?
Old 1 week ago
Me either. Never had any issues with TF2. But I always work with multi mono files.
Old 1 week ago
Neither me. Never had any problem with TF2.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitbh View Post
That's interesting. I've never had it at the start. like... ever. What is your workflow for doing it? Drag in multi-mono's, convert and join to a single polywav, converting with ZTX? High localisation off/on? What file format?
Yep, drag multi-mono in sequence, join and convert, then process.
BWF format.
I'd say 1fr at top is a given, and 2 frames thing just popped up.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yep, drag multi-mono in sequence, join and convert, then process.
BWF format.
I'd say 1fr at top is a given, and 2 frames thing just popped up.
Bizarre. On your next convert it might be worth trying CoreAudio. I use WAVE/BWF when doing trailers/commercials but because it won't support more than 4GB poly WAV, I have to use core audio for features. That spits out a .caf which you can then unbundle with ProTools to get your audio again. I wonder if that would make a difference.

This is always running the ZTX algorithm on 'Best' - varying modes within ZTX but never get a frame at the start.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search