The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL 708p + 705p + SUB
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

JBL 708p + 705p + SUB

Hi everyone,
we are upgrading our 2.0 TV Mixroom (roughly 9m x 5m x 3,5m) to 5.1 and want to upgrade our Monitoring as well.
We are mixing Feature Film as well as Docs and short formats for TV only. As for now we are using two Genelec 1032A.
I was heavily leaning toward the JBL 6328p, but with the 7 series out now maybe it is worth looking at those.
Budget wise it could be possible to go LCR with the 708p and LsRs with 705p?
What Subs do you guys recommend with the 7 series monitors?

Do you have any other suggestions for me to look at?
thanks,
Heni40
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

really? no one has these speakers running in such a setup or similar? Again what would be the best SUB solution?
Any replies are welcome.
Thanks.
Old 6 days ago
We have a stage with the 708i for the LCR. They sound fantastic. Much closer to a theatrical sounding room than it was before. Before we have 28Ps, and even though they sound great in their own right, the 708s are unanimously a step up. The 708s will do a better job of filling your room. Our surrounds are different but I'm sure you'd be happy with the setup you propose. We still use the 6312 for the sub and it works great. But your room is slightly larger so I would consider JBL's new SUB18, if you can swing the budget. I've heard it with the 708s/5s and it sounds awesome, with tons of weight and headroom for days. But it is hard to comment on exactly what you'd need for the room to hit the SPL you need. You could look one of the JBL cinema subs. Or if you want an active sub you could start with one 6312 and add a second if needed. You'd still be under the price of the SUB18 and an amp. Good luck!

Last edited by Dan Smith; 6 days ago at 09:11 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Don't be too surprised by the lack of replies, the P models are brand new.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
We have a stage with the 708i for the LCR. They sound fantastic. Much closer to a theatrical sounding room than it was before. Before we have 28Ps, and even though they sound great in their own right, the 708s are unanimously a step up. The 708s will do a better job of filling your room. Our surrounds are different but I'm sure you'd be happy with the setup you propose. We still use the 6312 for the sub and it works great. But your room is slightly larger so I would consider JBL's new SUB18, if you can swing the budget. I've heard it with the 708s/5s and it sounds awesome, with tons of weight and headroom for days. But it is hard to comment on exactly what you'd need for the room to hit the SPL you need. You could look one of the JBL cinema subs. Or if you want an active sub you could start with one 6312 and add a second if needed. You'd still be under the price of the SUB18 and an amp. Good luck!
How large is your stage and how far do you sit from your 708i LCR speakers? Can you hit reference level with ease and no strain? Which amplifier are you using to power the speakers? Sorry for all the questions!

I am planning a 7.1.4 home theater setup in my room which is roughly 15 ft long x 12 ft wide x 9.5 ft high. I am thinking of using the 708i for every speaker (LCR + surrounds + back surrounds + ceiling). Will I be able to hit reference level with ease and no strain/distortion?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprkd1 View Post
How large is your stage and how far do you sit from your 708i LCR speakers? Can you hit reference level with ease and no strain? Which amplifier are you using to power the speakers? Sorry for all the questions!

I am planning a 7.1.4 home theater setup in my room which is roughly 15 ft long x 12 ft wide x 9.5 ft high. I am thinking of using the 708i for every speaker (LCR + surrounds + back surrounds + ceiling). Will I be able to hit reference level with ease and no strain/distortion?
You'll have plenty of headroom. The stage is 24'x15'x10'. Mix position is around 10 feet back. We easily hit 85 dbc spl with ease. You won't have an issue. I don't know the amps being used, sorry. It is a nearfield atmos room with control 5s for the surrounds.

I know a mixer with a home atmos room and he used 705s for his surrounds and is 100% satisfied. I've a/b'ed them and the 705s sound amazing for their size. Can't notice a difference except in the real deep bass. But with bassmanaged surrounds he said he's very happy with them. Sony has a nearfield Atmos room which is much larger than yours with 5s in the surrounds and it sounds awesome. You could do the 5s for your surrounds and save some money and space. Just a thought.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

That sounds promising!
I would love to have a take on them.
Our local distributer here unfortunately is not keen on the availability of the p-version. But I am checking on that. He says JBL is known to have long delays on new products. Can anyone confirm (especially with the p-version)??
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Surfing the JBL site makes me think there's a subwoofer missing in the 7 series. Maybe it's yet to be released.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I am not the person you quoted, but I am in a room that is 7.1.4 and not much bigger than yours. I am 6.5' to 7 feet from the speakers and hit reference with no problem. I am running the crown amps with these.

Because of the height, I would recommend the 705s, otherwise the 708s might feel too much on top of you.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprkd1 View Post

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

705s and a 6312 sub are on our short list.
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

While we are on this topic,

While the SUB 18 looks great, does anyone have a suggestion for a smaller sub?

At 18", the Sub 18 will be difficult to position in my room. I am really leaning toward getting two smaller subs to help smooth out some low frequency issues (room is treated).

Thanks,
Randall
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search