The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just received my TC ELECTRONIC CLARITY M meter
Old 19th October 2016
Just received my TC ELECTRONIC CLARITY M meter

Just received my TC ELECTRONIC CLARITY M meter. Nice. seems quick / responsive. easy to use. switching between live audio inputs and plugin mode for protools has a single extra step - having to dismount the internal disk before switching to plugin from disk mode - . Other than that, ease of setup and use is good. Meter's are nicely readable. switching various formats is straight forward, but can cause the device to drop back to disk mode, for selections of various format saves, then you have to dismount the internal disk again before switching back to plugin mode.

I'd recommend it if you don't have a high end meter. I also have a DK audio meter that is 10x the cost ... For the price this is a very nice unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Just received my TC ELECTRONIC CLARITY M meter-tcelectronic-clarity-m-front-persp-radarplussurround.jpg  
Old 19th October 2016
Lives for gear

I recall hearing a lot of dissatisfaction with TC support and service from TC6000 etc owners awhile back, and I certainly had major issues with them myself (when they distro'ed Dynaudio). Are they better about this kind of thing now? I kind of swore off TC after my bad experiences, but this new meter looks cool...? I saw a price of $700.....just wincing in memory of what I paid for my LM-100.....
Old 19th October 2016
I own a system 6000 fully loaded up ( had two but sold one).. I've had to chase them a bit, but they've always been good once I beat them up a bit.
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

Interesting. I do a bit in 7.1 so Im guessing that in plugin mode with a down mixer upstream that would work. Love the idea. I doubt Id feed it with actual signal in my work flow though...expensive third dedicated meter monitor?
Old 20th October 2016
it can run in a plugin mode to send the data to the unit via USB without being in the signal chain or it can be used with digital inputs. for the price its quite good.
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

I use the Flux Pure Analyzer System, which is a plugin sending data to another computer via ethernet. Very happy user!
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
it can run in a plugin mode to send the data to the unit via USB without being in the signal chain or it can be used with digital inputs. for the price its quite good.
Georgia,

It sure looks good. I am really impress that TC offer such a nice product at such an affordable price.

I am just wondering if the response time of the display is good enough when using a USB 2 equipped computer and not the digital inputs. adding the cost of another
interface would make it less affordable.
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
Georgia,

It sure looks good. I am really impress that TC offer such a nice product at such an affordable price.

I am just wondering if the response time of the display is good enough when using a USB 2 equipped computer and not the digital inputs. adding the cost of another
interface would make it less affordable.
I have the meter here as well. I'm using it in the Plugin mode in Pro Tools via USB. There are no response issues whatsoever. As Georgia stated it's pretty slick. The screen is nice. The overall build quality is very good. Customization options are stellar. I've already flashed the Firmware to the latest version, posted on October 12th. The process was straight forward.

Below (left) is a snap of the DAW plugin that communicates with the meter. The right side image is a live screenshot generated internally by the meter.

-paul
@ Prod uceNewMedia

Old 21st October 2016
It would be nice if it had a Phase Scope display for mastering. Just a thought.
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfigg View Post
I have the meter here as well. I'm using it in the Plugin mode in Pro Tools via USB. There are no response issues whatsoever. As Georgia stated it's pretty slick. The screen is nice. The overall build quality is very good. Customization options are stellar. I've already flashed the Firmware to the latest version, posted on October 12th. The process was straight forward.

Below (left) is a snap of the DAW plugin that communicates with the meter. The right side image is a live screenshot generated internally by the meter.

-paul
@ Prod uceNewMedia

Thanks for the detail feedback. Can you confirm that you are using a USB 2 port?
Old 21st October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
Thanks for the detail feedback. Can you confirm that you are using a USB 2 port?
You're welcome. And, yes - USB 2.0 port ...

-paul.
Old 22nd October 2016
Gear Nut

Does anybody knows if the meter will eventuality be updated to work in 7.1?
Old 26th October 2016
My understanding is that the digital inputs may be limited to 44.1 and 48k. Can any users confirm?

What happens if you send it 96k?
Old 26th October 2016
Lives for gear
My system is running ASIO MADI driver at 96K. No USB sound. Guess I'm out of luck.
Old 27th October 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Does anybody knows if the meter will eventuality be updated to work in 7.1?
From TC:

Hi Serge,
no immediate plans for that, no. But we may in the future design a meter for motion picture production with dedicated 7.1 tools. No guarantees, though.
Old 17th November 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for the nice words!

@ elegentdrum, JLaPointe
Clarity M can run at 96kHz in plug-in mode.
Only if you use the physical inputs, SR is limited to 48kHz max.

@ Thomas W. Bethe
While Clarity M does not have a phase scope, please beware that it indeed has a Correlation Meter. The Correlation Meter will reveal phase problems just like a scope would, and you might even find it easier to read.
The correlation meter is good for use in stereo.
As a good alternative, especially if you work in surround, I suggest you try out the Deviation Meter. The Deviation Meter is based on our loudness technology, and it will reveal phase problems, too. On top of that, you might find it even easier to read and work with.

@ TheGolfer
Response time in plug-in mode is as good as if you use the physical inputs.
Old 17th November 2016
Here for the gear
Does anybody knows why it is so hard to find it in EU?
Old 18th November 2016
Gear Addict

Reliable pro audio house in Holland:
https://www.helios-online.nl/en/shop...-121/clarity-m
Old 18th November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
@ elegentdrum, JLaPointe
Clarity M can run at 96kHz in plug-in mode.
Only if you use the physical inputs, SR is limited to 48kHz max.
That's a shame, many mastering guys are working at 2xfs much of the time, and using the physical inputs is the best way to have the meter follow the monitor source (be it daw output / daw input / media server / cd player, etc) rather than just the daw master bus.

Will you make a 96k capable version in the future? I'd buy it in a heartbeat as I already use the LM2n on a separate computer for exactly this purpose and would love a simple self contained unit like the Clarity M.

Quote:
@ Thomas W. Bethe
While Clarity M does not have a phase scope, please beware that it indeed has a Correlation Meter. The Correlation Meter will reveal phase problems just like a scope would, and you might even find it easier to read.
Is the correlation meter sensitive enough (and with high enough resolution) to use it for adjusting azimuth on a tape machine, like one would use a phase (lissajous) scope?

Best,

- J.
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaPointe View Post
Is the correlation meter sensitive enough (and with high enough resolution) to use it for adjusting azimuth on a tape machine, like one would use a phase (lissajous) scope?
We haven't tested that exact application, however, the correlation meter is very accurate, and it does measure and show even small differences - especially for quasi-stationary signals, as would be the case for azimuth adjustment.
Give it a try, and please let us know how it went - thanks!
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
Interesting. I do a bit in 7.1 so Im guessing that in plugin mode with a down mixer upstream that would work.

Yep, it would work for 7.1.

Do a full "downmix" - Left Rear + Left Surround, same in the right side. There is a small chance that you'll get overloads, but since there most often is little energy in the surround channels, this is not likely to be a problem.

In non-plug-in mode, if you use a separate bus for sending audio to Clarity M, you can use the same trick.
Old 1st March 2017
I am wondering if someone tested Clarity M in USB mode but remotely, connected through the HDBaseT DVI+USB extender unit (such as SmartAVI SDX-2P)?
And if so, is there any latency caused by this technique?
Old 3rd March 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I am wondering if someone tested Clarity M in USB mode but remotely, connected through the HDBaseT DVI+USB extender unit (such as SmartAVI SDX-2P)?
And if so, is there any latency caused by this technique?
I haven't tested this setup personally.

If you can mount an USB stick, or some power-hungry USB device, I don't think you should have any problems.

Latency would come into play, if the audio portion is embedded and de-embedded in the DVI/HDMI signal - that would probably cause a couple of ms delay.

I think a dedicated USB extender is probably the safest solution, or something like a G&D DVI-Vision, with a dedicated USB2 channel.
Old 3rd March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep, it would work for 7.1.

Do a full "downmix" - Left Rear + Left Surround, same in the right side. There is a small chance that you'll get overloads, but since there most often is little energy in the surround channels, this is not likely to be a problem.

In non-plug-in mode, if you use a separate bus for sending audio to Clarity M, you can use the same trick.

downmixing the surrounds from 7.1 to 5.1 for your meter will give you wrong readings depending on what's in your side and rear surrounds.

If your signals have high correlations your reading will be too hot and when 100% different it will be correct. So no matter if you lower the downmix level it will be wrong at some point.

Just keep that in mind.
Old 3rd March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanmixr View Post
I haven't tested this setup personally.

If you can mount an USB stick, or some power-hungry USB device, I don't think you should have any problems.

Latency would come into play, if the audio portion is embedded and de-embedded in the DVI/HDMI signal - that would probably cause a couple of ms delay.

I think a dedicated USB extender is probably the safest solution, or something like a G&D DVI-Vision, with a dedicated USB2 channel.
Thanks for your answer. I'll try it later.
Another question might me very obvious but how do you guys connect it via AES?
I have Avid HD I/O 888 and my digital AES outputs are busy feeding my CP750 unit (7.1 or 8 channels)
Is there installing additional AES card (only for the Clarity M) is the only option?
Old 11th April 2017
Here for the gear

Hi just a quick (most likely stupid) question...

Can i send 2 stereo signals to the Clarity M at the same time?
I'm doing a lot of dubbing, doing the "local" mix so i need to be able to compare my work to the original mix.

Thanks
(and yes, i'm lazy, a lot easier to ask you guys rather than reading the manual)

Martin
Old 11th April 2017
you can drag the "feed" plugin to any track.. but you can't do 2 at a time.
Old 11th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
you can drag the "feed" plugin to any track.. but you can't do 2 at a time.
Thanks for answering Georgia...damn it 'cause that's what i need...
DK Meter it is (ouch)
Old 13th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Just received my TC ELECTRONIC CLARITY M meter. Nice. seems quick / responsive. easy to use. switching between live audio inputs and plugin mode for protools has a single extra step - having to dismount the internal disk before switching to plugin from disk mode - . Other than that, ease of setup and use is good. Meter's are nicely readable. switching various formats is straight forward, but can cause the device to drop back to disk mode, for selections of various format saves, then you have to dismount the internal disk again before switching back to plugin mode.

I'd recommend it if you don't have a high end meter. I also have a DK audio meter that is 10x the cost ... For the price this is a very nice unit.
Hi Georgia
Do you know if the meter works when you're offline bouncing ?
I know with waves LM and Nugen when you offline you can keep an eye on long term loundness.
Old 13th April 2017
Gear Head

Yes it does work during offline bounce, in plugin mode.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search