The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kevin O'connell - 19 Oscar nominations, not a single win yet
Old 25th February 2007

Kevin O'connell - 19 Oscar nominations, not a single win yet

Interesting interview!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6393659.stm

Quote:
"Whenever you are up against a big musical, it's really hard because everyone associates musicals with sound."
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Two things about that article-

First- he is called a technician- This is the biggest singular problem of those of us in Editorial and Mixing- A technician is someone who applies absolute solutions to a defined problem. Technicians are routinely replaced by technology.

We are not technicians- We do not go and record flying saucers, or man eating sharks or animated Penguins and cars. What we do is art- It might be more Rauschenberg vs Monet, but utimately we are creating sonic worlds- algorithms do not do that.

The other comment Kevin made is that the job is 20% Technical and 80% Artistic is right on-

He does good work, His day in the sun will come-

charles maynes
Old 28th February 2007
Lives for gear

Please correct me, if I'm wrong:
as I undestand the Academy process of voting: for nominations vote past years' cathegory winners (sound editors vote for sound edit nominations, production designers for production design nominations etc.), but for Oscars votes the whole Academy, so for best sound mix vote e.g production designers, or supporting role actors, or etc. So it t means, that perhaps if something in the sound might be fresh and interesting for "sound people", it does not have to be interesting for different profession Academy members.
All best
Kuba
Old 28th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba_Pietrzak View Post
Please correct me, if I'm wrong:
as I undestand the Academy process of voting: for nominations vote past years' cathegory winners (sound editors vote for sound edit nominations, production designers for production design nominations etc.), but for Oscars votes the whole Academy, so for best sound mix vote e.g production designers, or supporting role actors, or etc. So it t means, that perhaps if something in the sound might be fresh and interesting for "sound people", it does not have to be interesting for different profession Academy members.
All best
Kuba
Kuba- You are correct, here is some more details for anyone who might be interested...

I do believe each subsection of the Academy (IE the sound branch which includes both Mixers, Production Sound Mixers and Editors) choose their nominees via a selection comittee- This is presently the way both the Best Sound, and Best Sound Editing canidates are chosen. However, prior to this year, the Best Sound Editing finalists were chosen at a meeting of the entire Sound Branch, where the top 7 canidate films Sound Supervisors prepared a 10 minute presentation reel to show their work. These films would then be voted on, and as I recall, any films with a score of 7.5 or better would be chosen as the years Oscar nominees (up to a maximum of three films) If only one film made the grade, a special achievement award would be granted at the tech awards ceremony. If no films received the 7.5 or better grade, no award would be granted.

This year however, the governors voted to make Sound Editing a permanent catagory with a guaranteed 5 films, thus doing away with the best gathering of the Hollywood sound community of the season....

The actual award is voted on by the entire voting membership of the Academy (as are all the other catagories)

I think I got that right... If anyone knows more please chime in...

charles maynes
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

20 now -- maybe this is the year?

Kevin's been nominated for the 20th time -- congratulations! Maybe this is the year. Anyone work on Transformers with him?

'Luckiest guy' has 20 Oscar nominations, 0 wins - CNN.com
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
First- he is called a technician- This is the biggest singular problem of those of us in Editorial and Mixing- A technician is someone who applies absolute solutions to a defined problem. Technicians are routinely replaced by technology.

charles maynes
Worse, even, when those of us who use Pro Tools to mix are called "Pro Tools operators".
I despise that!
Old 25th January 2008
I just received the news that I have the second nomination on a short that I did the sound for... I hope we don't have to wait 19 nominations before getting an award !

Kind regards from Belgium

Pedro
Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

not a single win yet............

Old 25th February 2008
Lives for gear

They actually ran an article about Kevin in one of Rio´s biggest newspapers... at least it seems he´s getting some media attention lately... which is more than most sound engineers get....
Old 14th August 2009
Gear Nut

O.K, I only saw this now, and then went to Kevin's Imdb site.. And this man has NOT won an Oscar yet?
He's worked on some of my favorite movies! Damn.. And here I thought my TV credit list was nice.. I'll now just commence to hang my head in shame..

From one Re-recording mixer to another he deserves 2xthumbsupthumbsup and if my 2 big toes count then they'll also be there!!
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

The sound Oscars aren't about best sound. They may be the ultimate in ego gratification, but they're not particularly meaningful in terms of sound careers. I know a number of Oscar winning editors and mixers who are currently bottom fishing for any job they can get. That's no reflection on their abilities, it's just the fickle nature of our fringe occupation.
Old 15th August 2009
Lives for gear

Let's not beat this dead horse any longer. And I don't mean Kevin, but this infernal focus on winning. The quality of his work speaks to us more than any external reward can.
Old 22nd August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airon View Post
Let's not beat this dead horse any longer. And I don't mean Kevin, but this infernal focus on winning. The quality of his work speaks to us more than any external reward can.

Yup, It would be nice to me recognized or acknowledged etc..
But, in the meantime, I concur with the above whole heartedly.

Congrats Kezza..!

Cheers,
KAyo
Old 24th August 2009
Lives for gear

Work as work, and in this day 'n' age, they should instead come up with a list of "people who are consistently able to go from one job to the next without downtime." (although, even there...'a list'. Sorry.)

Recognition from those in one's field for a job well done / rabbit pulled out of a hat is great but having folks "in other areas" picking what they think is 'Best?' No thanks.

Keep up the good work, Kevin, and all other WORKING sound wh*res everywhere. Getting paid for what you like to do / what you're good at is always a nice thing.

-Jeff

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search