The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pro Tools 12.6 Clip Effects
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Exactly. Clip gain, clip EQ, layers, and translucent waveforms are all features I love about Fairlight. Nice to see Avid picking up useful ideas.

Aside from mixing, this will be a boon during editing. You can shape BG's while laying them in without rendering anything, maybe remove hum from dialog lines, a lot of uses. I'm sure music guys will be scratching their heads like when clip gain was introduced but for post this is great.
Don't even dare using these effects on dialog Im mixing.
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Right, but that's a very specialized EQ (and currently the only one that has a sonogram display, AFAIK). Not really an every-day work-horse. At least not for me. Way to cluttered and quirky interface.
From what you said it sounded like an EQ with sonogram is some completely essential must-have to be able to EQ something at all.
I have the melda dynamic eq over my 2 main DX processing busses.
Fantastic tool.
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
I guess I just never came across a sound that caused ringing with the CS then. Will keep an eye on it. But I rarely use that kind of hard core notching live. I normally do it offline in RX. Maybe that's why I've never come across it.

I remember from the EQ3 1-Band that a track would suddenly go into clipping when you put a low-cut on it. Didn't have to be a steep one.
I only use notching for hums, never RX. Wastes too much time.
But you need to use a good EQ for notching.
EQ3 is not that EQ.
Old 17th September 2016
Gear Maniac

This current model of clip fx is way too limited for dialog for my taste (maybe apart from some specific effects). But for fx dynamics or ambience eq'ing it seems very useful.

I'd love some 3rd party clip fx for dialog so I don't have to set a chain of inserts on every track. If rendered in the background it can even free up cpu power (although running fine currently).

In my experience, notching in RX can only work using audiosuite denoiser from RX Advanced, where you can turn off 'whitening' (the standalone app takes too much time). This in combination with turning off broadband reduction and turning tonal reduction all the way up allows you to simply learn and remove only the hums, leaving the noise (and therefore 'life') completely intact. Setting it to clip by clip mode with plenty of handle length even completely saves your edit/fades/regions/clipgain/etc, making it both faster and better than any insert. But again, only a very specific setting in advanced can do this. I leave the window open, learn, check, apply, done. You can hardly 'over-RX' it, since it only removes hums, so your dialog editor can do this, saving you more time to mix (or handle the broadband noise if needed).
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
You can hardly 'over-RX' it, since it only removes hums, so your dialog editor can do this, saving you more time to mix (or handle the broadband noise if needed).
DX editors need to spend their time focusing on dialog editing. Picking the right mics, and alts if needed. And making sure ADZR is perfectly edited and in synch.
If they have time after that do some hum removal, fine.

My experience sonar has been that they barely have enough time to do THEIR job.
It takes me about 10 secs to notch out a buzz or hum in a mix.
Old 17th September 2016
Gear Maniac

I can't speak for other peoples time schedules. When I'm dialog editing I'm already in 'dialog mode', so it's very fast for me to remove hums (this is always done at the last stage before I move on to the next scene). When I'm mixing I'm more focused at long passes, and hate to dive into some dialog tracks for noises and specifics (maybe during premix, if there was budget for that). Over here it's about 1,5 day dial edit, 2 day amb/fx, 1 day mix, for a single person, for a generic 43 min scripted drama CSI-like show (on Dutch budget).

But when clip fx is more advanced at some point, notching, or general restorative adjustments, can easily be dragged on a clip and be adjusted in the mix if needed, speeding up both the edit and the mix (hopefully). Time will tell.
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
. Over here it's about 1,5 day dial edit, 2 day amb/fx, 1 day mix, for a single person, for a generic 43 min scripted drama CSI-like show (on Dutch budget).
That is an insane schedule!
Old 17th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
But you need to use a good EQ for notching.
EQ3 is not that EQ.
I totally disagree with this. EQ3 is a fantastic notch eq.
Old 17th September 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
I can't speak for other peoples time schedules. When I'm dialog editing I'm already in 'dialog mode', so it's very fast for me to remove hums (this is always done at the last stage before I move on to the next scene). When I'm mixing I'm more focused at long passes, and hate to dive into some dialog tracks for noises and specifics (maybe during premix, if there was budget for that). Over here it's about 1,5 day dial edit, 2 day amb/fx, 1 day mix, for a single person, for a generic 43 min scripted drama CSI-like show (on Dutch budget).

But when clip fx is more advanced at some point, notching, or general restorative adjustments, can easily be dragged on a clip and be adjusted in the mix if needed, speeding up both the edit and the mix (hopefully). Time will tell.
Jesus. Not a lot of quality in that kind of timeframe. Are you mixing and playing back for client in that one day?
Old 17th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
Jesus. Not a lot of quality in that kind of timeframe. Are you mixing and playing back for client in that one day?
You need a very good workflow, a set of good people you work with a lot (all in house, no bedroom editors), strict delivery rules, a solid template, have the aaf with splits loaded up and ready to go, etc. If the mixer wasn't part of the editorial (or it's a complex show) we can invest some extra time for premixing. Also, 4.5 day is the lowest we ever did, usually it's more like 5.5-6, depending on the complexity.
We mix with the director only, producers here generally don't check mixes of tv series (features only). But there's a lot of trust I have to say. This time frame excludes adr, foley or m&e.
Also, somehow, the highest rated shows tend to have the lowest budgets...
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, somehow, the highest rated shows tend to have the lowest budgets...
If you're going to work on trash it'd better be for top dollar!

While I have no firsthand knowledge I bet the sales departments are very competitive when it comes to quoting package rates to the prestige projects, that everyone knows are going to get a lot of attention, with the biggest producers and clients on board.
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
That is an insane schedule!
Come to Asia! 0.5 day SFX&DX, 1 day Music Edit, 1 day Mix.
Old 18th September 2016
Lives for gear

Sheez folks...
That is just so messed up time wise...
Old 19th September 2016
Lives for gear

Wouldn't it be a natural if the Elastic properties were in the clip effects dingus too? I hate having to pull up that little window and type numbers.
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Don't even dare using these effects on dialog Im mixing.
I'm sure this wasn't meant for me personally, because I agree with you.

Clip-based EQ is great for fast turnaround TV and promo work. Where editor and mixer are the same, so you do anything you can to premix while you edit. It's why I like Fairlight for this type of work, and I can see it being a boon in PT.
Old 22nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I'm sure this wasn't meant for me personally, because I agree with you.

Clip-based EQ is great for fast turnaround TV and promo work. Where editor and mixer are the same, so you do anything you can to premix while you edit. It's why I like Fairlight for this type of work, and I can see it being a boon in PT.
Hahahaha,
no. Not meant for you personally.
Old 24th September 2016
Lives for gear

Speaking as an FX mixer and editor, having clip based processing would be great because when I pull sounds from the clip bin that I've used elsewhere in the session and have already gained and processed once, the clip based gain and processing will be built into the clip, which saves me time. If I don't want it I can dump it with a simple key command. This only really applies to FX, not dialog since the workflow and usage is so different.
Old 24th September 2016
Lives for gear

I agree. For effects it should be a great tool.
Old 22nd February 2017
Lives for gear

I btw had a bunch of dialog efforts to do, "coughs" and stuff, which can be all over the place dynamically and also eq. Was my first time using the clip effects, and also I've really never done clip gain automation either so found I really like it for sfx and dialog efforts. As a side note the zoom option on the selected clip is also really nice for efforts, which I normally have to mess with on volume levels. I hadn't done any dialog efforts since protools 9, so all these changes for clips that protools has done for HD users are real nice. Another thing with efforts is I normally re-use them a bit, so I need to look into how this works with clip bins and such.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

storing/recalling clip effects presets

To those using Clip Effects: have any of you encountered problems storing custom settings in the five Presets registers? I've tried saving settings to the preset buttons (command-click on the button) but then when I go back and select a button to recall, I invariably get the original default setting rather than my own.

Pro Tools does appear to save the setting in a "Clip Effects Quick Presets" folder within the selected destination plug-in settings folder, and that appears in the CE pulldown menu, but for some reason the setting doesn't stick to the assigned button.

Anyone having better luck, or found a workaround?
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
To those using Clip Effects: have any of you encountered problems storing custom settings in the five Presets registers? I've tried saving settings to the preset buttons (command-click on the button) but then when I go back and select a button to recall, I invariably get the original default setting rather than my own.

Pro Tools does appear to save the setting in a "Clip Effects Quick Presets" folder within the selected destination plug-in settings folder, and that appears in the CE pulldown menu, but for some reason the setting doesn't stick to the assigned button.

Anyone having better luck, or found a workaround?
Do these buttons save to the computer/host/user preferences, or to the particular session?
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

My prefs are to save plug-in settings to my session folder. So if I command-click a preset button to store my setting there, the setting file does get saved to my session folder (in a "Quick Presets" sub-folder), but it doesn't appear to "stick" to the preset button.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
My prefs are to save plug-in settings to my session folder. So if I command-click a preset button to store my setting there, the setting file does get saved to my session folder (in a "Quick Presets" sub-folder), but it doesn't appear to "stick" to the preset button.
Right, but aren't the presets in the recall buttons saved distinctly? Aren't those saved directly to the session file? On my system if you save a preset to a button, it doesn't work when I open a different session.
Old 3rd June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcapra View Post
Right, but aren't the presets in the recall buttons saved distinctly? Aren't those saved directly to the session file? On my system if you save a preset to a button, it doesn't work when I open a different session.
Well, my problem is that I can't even get that far. Within a given session, if I try to store a setting to a preset button in the Clip Effects display, it doesn't recall it when I hit the button again...it just calls up the factory default setting for that button.

My setting does get saved -- as a settings file in my session folder -- it just doesn't seem to get stored on the preset button.

I'm not (yet) concerned with having my custom settings stick on preset buttons from session to session. I'd just be happy to have it work within a single session at the moment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search