The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADR Software? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 31st August 2016
Arrow ADR Software?

Hello there,
would love to have an advice on affordable ADR software to work with Cubase.
Thanx in advance!
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Haha ... it's called Nuendo.

Fredo
Old 31st August 2016
Yep, upgrade to Nuendo and you'll be sorted.
Old 31st August 2016
w00t didn't know that Nuendo have ADR possibilities, Thanx for the hint.
Is anyone actually used it? Is it good enough?
Old 31st August 2016
I use it very often to do ADR in France for major US movies and TV shows. A real time saver, and very efficient. If you are going to do a lot of ADR, then I would seriously consider it.
Old 31st August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
I use it very often to do ADR in France for major US movies and TV shows. A real time saver, and very efficient. If you are going to do a lot of ADR, then I would seriously consider it.
Thank you
Old 1st September 2016
since what version Nuendo added ADR taker?
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Head

Version 6, I believe. Fantastic function. I only do a few ADR sessions a year so I can't comment on the professional ADR mixer's workflow but I've always really appreciated the functionality of it.
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

I have actually been enjoying using premiere pro/audition combo for a film almost all shot mos. Even I find the recording sessions fairly fun directly using premiere, I just have a SD mixpre-d hooked directly to a Mac using a usb cable, and do direct recording into the timeline. Complex lip sync can be done in audition. I then go to protools after I have the dialog edited and aligned. It is also rather simple and easy to do, and having it go directly into the editing time line I find avoids a lot of moving files around and metadata confusion. Anyway I kind of hated doing adr, especially since I don't specialize in it and didn't have a full Adr setup, now it's enjoyable at least for certain genres.
Old 20th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_X View Post
Just seeing this, sorry for the late reply:

I use Nuendo everyday for either re-recording or ADR. The ADR taker system is absolutely amazing and super efficient. Its stable, and has great features like text screen overlay so your talent can watch the screen instead of staring at their script.

Ask your post house to supply you with a marker file [often a midi file]. You can simply import it in your marker track, add the dialogue into the cue from the script, and away you go. The bars and wipes are super intuitive and make signaling the start of the loop very easy. You can add additional bars to help with pacing during long monologues.

There is an auto value generator based on the track name, take number, cue or marker number. It helps save time later when you are trying to deliver later and match up the takes to the cue sheets.

Good luck,
jeremiah
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

I haven't used this, but it seems worth checking out. I believe it works with Cubase.
https://non-lethal-applications.com/.../video-slave-3
Old 22nd September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_X View Post
I strongly advise you to upgrade to Nuendo, especially since Steiny finally has an offer in place for it.
I started out doing Audio Post with Cubase, then got Nuendo which made a hell of a lot of things much easier.

You like Cubase? You'll love Nuendo.

And the ADR Taker is, as many have posted already, a superb tool.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahslovarp View Post
Just seeing this, sorry for the late reply:

I use Nuendo everyday for either re-recording or ADR. The ADR taker system is absolutely amazing and super efficient. Its stable, and has great features like text screen overlay so your talent can watch the screen instead of staring at their script.

Ask your post house to supply you with a marker file [often a midi file]. You can simply import it in your marker track, add the dialogue into the cue from the script, and away you go. The bars and wipes are super intuitive and make signaling the start of the loop very easy. You can add additional bars to help with pacing during long monologues.

There is an auto value generator based on the track name, take number, cue or marker number. It helps save time later when you are trying to deliver later and match up the takes to the cue sheets.

Good luck,
jeremiah
I just made the crossgrade from Cubase to Nuendo. I do a lot of ADR (in PTHD/Ultimate..., doing a session with Warner Bros. later today actually). Man, if you find the time, I (and I assume many others) would love to see the ADR Taker being used in a real world scenario.

Coming from PT, it seems super clunky, but maybe I'm missing something. The most basic question I have has to deal with the 'ADR Switchboard' where it appears that you're either sending signals 'somewhere' or not at all....., so then how do you 'ride' signals when needed? Say the actor wants to hear production sound, but only for the first couple lines? And some times they want to hear production for the whole line, others not at all. Would you have to keep opening up the 'ADR Switchboard' for every line when a change in the routing is needed?

FWIW, I made the switch mainly for game audio work. LOVING Nuendo for that. But for general audio post, I'm having a hard time with it, and would just love to get a better grasp on it's strengths.
Old 1st April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post

I just made the crossgrade from Cubase to Nuendo. I do a lot of ADR (in PTHD/Ultimate..., doing a session with Warner Bros. later today actually). Man, if you find the time, I (and I assume many others) would love to see the ADR Taker being used in a real world scenario.

Coming from PT, it seems super clunky, but maybe I'm missing something. The most basic question I have has to deal with the 'ADR Switchboard' where it appears that you're either sending signals 'somewhere' or not at all....., so then how do you 'ride' signals when needed? Say the actor wants to hear production sound, but only for the first couple lines? And some times they want to hear production for the whole line, others not at all. Would you have to keep opening up the 'ADR Switchboard' for every line when a change in the routing is needed?

FWIW, I made the switch mainly for game audio work. LOVING Nuendo for that. But for general audio post, I'm having a hard time with it, and would just love to get a better grasp on it's strengths.
No, you won't need to open your switch board often. I have not opened my switchboard since the inital first or second configuration.

I will try to get a screenshot for you, but in short:
Load your switch board the way you want it. Leave two tracks - guide and music/efx - on the console, route them to the headphones [cue 1-4] the way you want them to go out, keep them post fader. Rider the fader during the take at will. Treat the guide and music/efx the same for any other track you want present in the cue system - ISDN, Source Connect, Phone Patch, Skype, etc..

Maybe I can even send you my generic session template. I am on a two screen NUAGE system, so it may look a little odd, but you could reformat it at will.

Cheers,
jeremiah
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahslovarp View Post
No, you won't need to open your switch board often. I have not opened my switchboard since the inital first or second configuration.

I will try to get a screenshot for you, but in short:
Load your switch board the way you want it. Leave two tracks - guide and music/efx - on the console, route them to the headphones [cue 1-4] the way you want them to go out, keep them post fader. Rider the fader during the take at will. Treat the guide and music/efx the same for any other track you want present in the cue system - ISDN, Source Connect, Phone Patch, Skype, etc..

Maybe I can even send you my generic session template. I am on a two screen NUAGE system, so it may look a little odd, but you could reformat it at will.

Cheers,
jeremiah
That would be awesome!!! Thanks so much for chiming in. Screenshots, a template... anything to help dig in a little more. Especially coming from someone that's been using Nuendo for post for a while.

It would be so great to see more Nuendo tips/tricks posted here or anywhere really. There's not much out there relatively speaking vs PT or other DAW's.
Old 4th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
It would be so great to see more Nuendo tips/tricks posted here or anywhere really. There's not much out there relatively speaking vs PT or other DAW's.
I would recommend asking on Steinberg's forum in the Nuendo 8 section. There are definitely a few guys there that do a lot of ADR especially for foreign dubbing, and I'm sure they have workflows to share with you.

There isn't a tremendous amount of activity, but if you ask I'm sure people will chime in with more answers.
Old 13th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I would recommend asking on Steinberg's forum in the Nuendo 8 section. There are definitely a few guys there that do a lot of ADR especially for foreign dubbing, and I'm sure they have workflows to share with you.

There isn't a tremendous amount of activity, but if you ask I'm sure people will chime in with more answers.
+1
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search