The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EdiLoad vs. Conformalizer
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Nut

EdiLoad vs. Conformalizer

Hi all!

I have been using Conrofmalizer with Pro Tools for conforming picture changes I guess about 10 years now and am quite happy with it. I wonder if EdiLoad v3 would be a good addition to my toolbox as it’s now on sale?. Does anyone has used both of these and has any opinion how they compare in conforming (which EdiLoad calls re-conforming)?

I understand that EdiLoad can also conform original multitrack recordings to Pro Tools session using EDL:s and AAF, which Conformalizer don’t do. I am wondering if this is any better workflow than using just Pro Tool’s built-in field recorder functions?
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
Hi all!

I have been using Conrofmalizer with Pro Tools for conforming picture changes I guess about 10 years now and am quite happy with it. I wonder if EdiLoad v3 would be a good addition to my toolbox as it’s now on sale?. Does anyone has used both of these and has any opinion how they compare in conforming (which EdiLoad calls re-conforming)?

I understand that EdiLoad can also conform original multitrack recordings to Pro Tools session using EDL:s and AAF, which Conformalizer don’t do. I am wondering if this is any better workflow than using just Pro Tool’s built-in field recorder functions?
Here's some things you might be missing after moving to EL:

- Load 2 QTs for very efficient fixing of change-lists.
- Difference view for QTs to eyeball hard to see changes
- Load XMLs
- Conform Euphonix and TC6000 automation
- Very easy fixing of single events directly to picture (instead of just TCs)
- Very powerful VFX-tracing (instead of just chopping in gaps)
- Very secure conforming regarding the control of PT. (smart wait for PT to complete functionality)
- Auto cleanup of automation glitches.
- Insert memory location at edit

For re-cutting Conformalizer is clearly the superior tool, IMO.

With regards to the field recorder workflow Conformalizer doesn't do that so it doesn't compare.

I use both almost every day but for re-cutting Conformalizer is much better.
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

interesting

havent't used any of them, so i'm very curious

could you please describe quickly the field recorder (conforming) workflow with ediload comparing to bare protools features?

thanx
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
interesting

havent't used any of them, so i'm very curious

could you please describe quickly the field recorder (conforming) workflow with ediload comparing to bare protools features?

thanx
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Nut

So to me it’s seems that in conforming to picture changes Conformalizer is superior or at least as usable as EdiLoad. I used those QT features of Conformalizer in my last project first time, and I still feel that I have not used all the power the software offers. I also watched earlier the EdiLoad video also linked above, and I feel that it may have some advantages in some situations when conforming with EDL / AAF to original multitrack recordings compared to using only Pro Tools' Field Recorder Functions. But is it worth the price when you already has Conformalizer, I’m not sure.
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear

I have only tried the demo of Conformalizer as I already owned EdiLoad (before choosing I tested bothe demo versions extensively and both main developers are really responsive). EdiLoad is IMHO the slightly more versatile tool as it does more and can be used for more purposes compared to Conformalizer. But as a straight re-conform tool Conformalizer is really nice especially with the video difference overlay. But then OTOH EdiLoad can use PT to recreate multiple reconform versions for dx/fx/mx (after running the full reconform on the guide track or stems if available). It is as strong a feature as conformalizers difference overlay IMHO but of course the two features are totally different.

EdiLoad can also be used to trouble shoot and clean up and convert EDLs in different ways.
VFX tracing in EDLs is quite good to.

On top of that EdiLoad can assist with conforming location audio using PTs built in tools.

So in my view EdiLoad is the stronger program but for straight up, no fuzz re-conforms Conformalizer may be the more efficient tool.

Neither of them can come anywhere close to a native reconform engine like Nuendo has built in.
It is incredibly fast (no copy/paste keycommands needed), and has several other smart features like the possibility to keep overlaps, to preview the edits before committing them, create warnings for many different editing and automation conditions etc.
But none of that will help PT users much of course. And to be honest the Nuendo EDL handling is a little to basic still as it needs the right type and formatting of EDLs to work well, where EdiLoad often can deal with whatever is thrown at it.

My two Swedish krona offered on this subject.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Intersting thread! Is Ediload the only option if the editor did a recut on your fullmix, and you want to resync the stems?
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha_lode View Post
Intersting thread! Is Ediload the only option if the editor did a recut on your fullmix, and you want to resync the stems?
No, you can do this with Conformalizer too.
The workflow for that situation is basically:
1. Editor cuts with your stems (eg. mix done to v12)
2. editor issues the v13 pic along with EDLs for the audio tracks that the cut stems are on. (maybe even separate ones for DX FX MX)
3. you import the EDL into the "change" panel, since it's already a description of the recut from v12 to v13.
4. re-conform your v12 session

Justin
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Of course Justin is correct above. Any reconform program can do that.
I’m not good enough explaining what I mean.

The feature i tried to discribe is that using ediload it is possible to export the change list as a Track with edits, open it in PT and where the user can modify the “change list” / edited track/stem inside the DAW and then import the re-edited track as the change list in EdiLoad again.

As far as the know only EdiLoad can do that.

OTOH only Conformalizer has the video overlay difference feature to chase changes in video. So it all evens out.

Personally I mostly found Conformalizer to be easier to use but that EdiLoad has quite a few more features to help users “fix stuff” when there are issues.

Both are great tools.

Last edited by ErikG; 24th November 2018 at 05:52 AM..
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Maniac

The Cargo Cult: Cool. I think your answer sort of missed my point about the editor working on the full mix, and not the stems. However I see that I can use your app if the stems are in the old "V12" protools session.

However: Does Conformalizer support finding related wav files in a designated folder and placing them in a session or aaf or something at the appropriate tc? T.ex. for relinking location audio from the recorder?
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
However: Does Conformalizer support finding related wav files in a designated folder and placing them in a session or aaf or something at the appropriate tc? T.ex. for relinking location audio from the recorder?
No, ProTools has that built-in.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
OTOH only Conformalizer has the video overlay difference feature to chase sachantes in video. So it all evens out.

Personally I mostly found Conformalizer to be easier to use but that EdiLoad has quite a few more features to help users “fix stuff” when there are issues.

Both are great tools.
There's a lot of stuff Conformalizer can do that EL can't. Manual fixing of EDLs to picture for example. Running 2 QTs at the same time. Finding picture changes without even having EDLs.
And most importantly conforming is WAY faster than with EL and much more reliable as Conformalizer ties to PT much tighter and doesn't rely on a timer to fire off key-commands which often leads to hickups and carnage when you leave it unattended.

On the other hand EL has a lot of EDL specific features but Conformaliser isn't meant to do that kind of stuff.

For chasing picture changes Conformalizer wins for sure (I have both btw. but never use EL to conform sessions).

I'd say it's like using all-weather tires on your car all year. Proper winter tires in winter and summer tires in summer will always be better ;-)
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Batch-replacing all clips in an entire session? With clips that has a different channel count?
Old 26th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:

Batch-replacing all clips in an entire session? With clips that has a different channel count?
Yes incl all edits and fades. It's called field recorder workflow. If your files share the same TC and another info (file name, sound roll meta data etc.) it's possible.
📝 Reply