The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Music upmix 5.1 to 7.1?
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Addict

Music upmix 5.1 to 7.1?

I have 5.0 music stems that we're pulling into a 7.1 mix. I can't figure out how to set this up so that the 5.0 left surround splits to left side/rear and right surround to right side/rear. I keep running into Pro Tools bussing limitations. You can't route a 5.0 buss directly to a 7.1. (I can't even make a stereo track go to the 7.1.)

I have tried making a 5.0 sub group of the 7.1 music buss. However, the two surround channels only go to the rear surrounds, not the sides. I don't think an upmix plug-in is necessary, I just want the surrounds to be split.

If you have any ideas then please help. I'm new to surround mixing so thanks for your patience.
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

A few options:
1.) Don't use a 5.0 track. You could use an LCR for the Front and Stereo for the back, all going into a 7.0 Bus. That way you could pan the Surrounds where you want them to go.

2.) Get spanner. With Spanner you could have a 5.0->7.1 instance and pan the surround to where you wanted them.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
I have 5.0 music stems that we're pulling into a 7.1 mix. I can't figure out how to set this up so that the 5.0 left surround splits to left side/rear and right surround to right side/rear. I keep running into Pro Tools bussing limitations. You can't route a 5.0 buss directly to a 7.1. (I can't even make a stereo track go to the 7.1.)

I have tried making a 5.0 sub group of the 7.1 music buss. However, the two surround channels only go to the rear surrounds, not the sides. I don't think an upmix plug-in is necessary, I just want the surrounds to be split.

If you have any ideas then please help. I'm new to surround mixing so thanks for your patience.
Old 3rd May 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Great advice, thanks. I'd prefer to do this through bussing because we have 8 surround stems. Any possibilities there? I suggested Halo or Spanner upmix but they don't have these (being mixed at a college).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
A few options:
1.) Don't use a 5.0 track. You could use an LCR for the Front and Stereo for the back, all going into a 7.0 Bus. That way you could pan the Surrounds where you want them to go.

2.) Get spanner. With Spanner you could have a 5.0->7.1 instance and pan the surround to where you wanted them.

Randall
Old 3rd May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

You don't have a large number of other options really...

You could split the 5.0 stems into mono, duplicate the surrounds and put them onto 7.0 tracks (drop the level of the surrounds first with clip gain.

sund the 5.0 stems out a 5.0 bus. bring the channels of the 5.0 bus back into 5 aux channels which get bussed into a 7.1 bus.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
Great advice, thanks. I'd prefer to do this through bussing because we have 8 surround stems. Any possibilities there? I suggested Halo or Spanner upmix but they don't have these (being mixed at a college).
📝 Reply