The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to process sound effects?
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

How to process sound effects?

I have a question regarding sound effects and ambience libraries. I have quite a large collection of sound I have collected through the years, and now I plan to put them online for sale. I have edited my effects to suitable lengths, but have not applied any processing at all. How are the professional sound effect libraries treated/processed, if they are? I have just natural sounds, not staged effects.

Are the effects normalized?
Are they compressed/limited in some way?
Preferred format for downloading effects (44.1, 48, 16 or 24 bit etc)
Anything else I need to know?

Cheers,
Mikael
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Usually, the libraries I've bought have offered the sounds in two different resolutions. 24/96 or 16/44. Or sometimes just 16/44. Normalizing is fine, I guess, but it won't do much for the overall level - at least not for ambience type sounds. All it takes is one loud spike of sound and that will be interpreted by the computer as the content's loudest peak and as a result, the overall level will be pretty much the same.

Personally, I hate when sounds are processed regardless of what kind of processing it is. Make it sound as dry and "natural" as possible and leave the rest to the sound designer who buys it. A surprisingly high number of samples in the libraries I own are completely useless for the reasons I've stated above.
Old 5th February 2007
Super Moderator

I feel this thread is better suited for the Post Production forum so I moved it from the Remote Possibilities forum.

I'm sure this will help you find more ideas and additional answers...

Good luck with your sound library venture!
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

OK, keep it raw. That's what I suspected (and hoped for).

Mikael
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

I agree - keep it raw. Unless it's a cartoon fart or something.
Ambi's should just be natural - If it needs to be surreal, the designer will add flange or whatever in the mix.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Take a listen to the commercial libraries available. You'll notice that they are all mastered for loudness and dynamics. I would recommend at least mastering for level. Otherwise, your collection will sound really quiet when you A/B it against Sound Ideas or H/Edge. Of course, the first thing that an FX editor is going to do after spotting in a BG is to pull it down 10dB or so, but it's good to hear them loud while auditioning.

When I'm mastering my own FX, I've had good luck with the Waves C4. I've found that a little bump in the mids really brings out the life and details in ambience recordings. I also bring the level up to around where commercial libraries are at.

I'm sure there are others out there that have worked on commercial libraries that could chime in like Charles Maynes or Michael McDonough.
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

Mikael

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search