The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What order of filter best naturally simulates distance?
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Head

What order of filter best naturally simulates distance?

Just curious, what degree of slope do you use on an LPF to best portray distance? Such as doing SFX for a distant object approaching, or changing perspectives with different proximity to the object.
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

It would all depend on what elements were playing around it.

Is the sound featured or subtly blending in with the other elements? Is there dialogue at the time? Is it playing against loud rock music or a classical score? Is it competing for the same frequency space as any of the other elements? Each sound will dictate how the other is eq'd depending on how it is supposed to sit in the mix.
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
It would all depend on what elements were playing around it.

Is the sound featured or subtly blending in with the other elements? Is there dialogue at the time? Is it playing against loud rock music or a classical score? Is it competing for the same frequency space as any of the other elements? Each sound will dictate how the other is eq'd depending on how it is supposed to sit in the mix.
Well for what I am working on right now, its the primary sound with virtually no other competition in the spectrum (or on screen for that matter). I mean more in general though, without regard for mixing. More from a sound design perspective than a mixing perspective.

Ive been using a 1 pole filter thinking a gradual slope sounds natural but am pretty new to this so I thought Id see what others had to say.
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I've had to do this many times and while I am not an expert I can offer these tips:

Roll off the lows gently. If you use a steep roll off it sounds unnatural and cheap but if you work with the frequency and rolloff curve you should find good results. Secondly, use a high shelf just gently and experiment with the freq. It is surprising how much high frequency detail can travel a distance - often people cut off the highs completely and this sounds fake and filtered. A mid boos with pretty sharp Q can also help give distance i the boost is in the right freqs. After EQ , try a small amount of reverb and echo can help give some atmosphere and sell the effect.
Old 12th February 2007
Lives for gear

I either use the lowest slope, usually that's 6dB per octave, or I use shelving filters...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search