The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How about your goofiest notes from a director?
Old 3rd February 2007
How about your goofiest notes from a director?

I'll start:
There's a medium interior two-shot with with some important dialogue to advance the narrative. The director suddenly has a realization, this is during final mix mind you, that it won't make sense to the audience when these two other characters storm through the door unless it's known from where they came and what they were doing. So this is his note:

"Need the sound of the two men running down the hall, out the front door, down the building stairs, out into the street. They get into a scuffle and find out that their friend was killed. They scream, run back across the street, up the stairs, through the front door, through the hallway and then barge through the door."

Now, this is all suposed to happen OS during this important interior dialogue scene and the audience is meant to understand what just happened. So I tactfully explain that it won't really work. Not to mention the fact that he doesn't have any more budget for additional foley, editorial, and mix time. So he sulks a bit and we move on.

The bad part was that earlier in the day he had offered to give me a ride home that night because my car was in the shop. All the way home, he went on and on about how "in this business, filmmakers will ask the 'impossible' and it's your job to make the 'impossible possible'. I wanted to jump out of the car at the first red light. But, I sucked it up and politely thanked him for the ride.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Head

I'm not nearly as experienced as some of the other posters here, but my favorite comment has been "it sounds too professional, can you make it sound more indie." Oddly, this wasn't the first time I've heard this. I'm half of a tiny shop that is really just starting. I don't think we could get any more indie.
Old 3rd February 2007
"can you make that door a little more red..."

...coming from a director during a mix, discussing the sound of the red door that was slowly opening with a small metalic 'click'...

cheers
geo
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I was asked if I had a plug in that could change the actual wording of the dialogue.

I explained that there had been such a plug in but due to overwhelming opposition from the writer's guild, it had been taken off of the market.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhaus View Post
I'm not nearly as experienced as some of the other posters here, but my favorite comment has been "it sounds too professional, can you make it sound more indie." Oddly, this wasn't the first time I've heard this. I'm half of a tiny shop that is really just starting. I don't think we could get any more indie.
It happened to me too. Odly as it sounds, the directors wanted to have a LO FI approach and for certains scenes of the short they asked me to dull things down a bit.

It is their vision at the end of the day and if it makes sense, I guess we have to respect it.
Old 3rd February 2007
Here for the gear

While mixing a woman with a strong southern drawl I told:

"Use autotone and a covulsion plug to make her sound British."

Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
I was asked if I had a plug in that could change the actual wording of the dialogue.

I explained that there had been such a plug in but due to overwhelming opposition from the writer's guild, it had been taken off of the market.
LOL
That made my day
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

This one happened while recording some female VO. After a few takes, the director said to the talent..."That was great. Now try it a little more blue jeans and a little less cocktail dress."

I'm sure the director was waiting for months to use that one.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Maniac

Got a very insightful note today: "This scene needs a bit more audio."
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

I can't even. I probably the most impossible asks are to improve the performance of an actor that can't act. Normal level talking when the scene is supposed to be yelling over music in a club.
Old 2nd December 2016
Gear Head

in an email to a director -

us -

"Hey Director,

here is an m4v of this scene for you to watch on your ipad

Thanks!"

Director -

"Not on my iPad, send another format.

Thanks!

-Sent from my iPad-"

Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear
Radio commercial session for a national product, one sub-brand was being test-marketed in Salt Lake City. (We're in Boston.)

Spokesperson did a fine job, hit all the proper notes; after a few takes we had it perfect.

AE (playing 'director'): "Gee... that's good and all. But this is running in Utah. (pause, thinks)... Uh, can you make it sound more Mormon?"

--

Here's five minutes of that kind of direction: Spoof on an ad session...
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

"I want the sound of birds in the track, I just don't want to hear them. I just want them there."
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Very famous and successful producer having me put the sound of a MAC-10 machine gun over a shot of the star shooting his .380 handgun. The star had shot the MAC a couple of shots earlier and the producer said, "nobody will notice".
Of course, as evidenced on the IMDB, they did. Even my dad said, "Gee, Joe, there sure were a lot of bullets coming out of that handgun"
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

"I think the dialogue here needs a 3dB boost somewhere in the high mids.."
I knew it was going to be a long week.
Old 3rd December 2016
Producer/film maker who had shot some footage in front of a giant roof top air conditioning unit that was obscuring the dialog. "can't we just lose the AC unit and keep the dialog?"

Indie producer/director who had obviously watched too many CSI shows on TV. "I know this was recorded on my IPHONE but it sounds so bad, don't you have a plug in that will make it sound the way I want it to sound?

Film maker with no budget. " I need this to sound like it was done in Hollywood but I don't have any money to pay you, what do you think?"

Producer/film maker/director " I know we have been working on this for a while but I need to know right now how long this is going to take and how much it is going to cost me" and "by the way the first scene we did I want to revisit it I have some new things want to try out"

"if I pay you in cash can I get a discount?"

"why does video take so long to render and audio no time at all?" "Do I have to pay you for the rendering time?" "if I do have to pay you I want you to render it more quickly"

Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Bernard Rose note during a temp mix on Candyman in 1991, "I want everything louder than everything else!"
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethenis View Post
"I think the dialogue here needs a 3dB boost somewhere in the high mids.."
I knew it was going to be a long week.
Oh God, yeah. Know those types.
They can't just say "hey, can you brighten that line a bit". No, they need to impress you with their technical knowledge, that they obviously hears someone say on a dubstage.
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

an intimate dialog scene in a room

"we need more sounds from the street" - "but the window is closed and this is a dialog scene, it will disturb the dialog"

4 hours of street sound editing later "can you just mute all the street sounds? it is a dialog scene, let's concentrate just on the dialog"
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Guru

I've just finished scooting and sliding various parts of a VO for a TV spot. All of the other audio elements are muted.

Client: "That's the perfect level right there."
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Oh God, yeah. Know those types.
They can't just say "hey, can you brighten that line a bit". No, they need to impress you with their technical knowledge, that they obviously hears someone say on a dubstage.
It wasn't so bad actually, after I turned around and asked him, with an amused smile on my face, what frequencies he considered to be high mids.
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Hired to mix a 1 hour documentary over the weekend. I normally do that, except the picture and AAF imports are a total mess.
Can not contact editors, they're on their days off.
Producer somehow manages to send a working one.

There are many short location shots with interviews , and only a single mono camera audio for BGs..

I call:
> How do want me to handle all these atmos ??
>> I want them to be location specific with accurate detail ( on the farm/in the jungle/in the village market/ beside the railway station......)
> That might take a bit longer
>>You have given me the quote, and we are past due already ! Do you except me to pay for all these ??

Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix View Post
Hired to mix a 1 hour documentary over the weekend. I normally do that, except the picture and AAF imports are a total mess.
Can not contact editors, they're on their days off.
Producer somehow manages to send a working one.

There are many short location shots with interviews , and only a single mono camera audio for BGs..

I call:
> How do want me to handle all these atmos ??
>> I want them to be location specific with accurate detail ( on the farm/in the jungle/in the village market/ beside the railway station......)
> That might take a bit longer
>>You have given me the quote, and we are past due already ! Do you except me to pay for all these ??

Hope you explained that mixing isn't editing, and walked away.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search