The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TV Spots Please.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

TV Spots Please.

I'd really appreciate someone suppling me with a couple :30 sec TV spots they produced that really sound great on TV.
I'm always amazed why the national ads produced in the largest centers sound like they came from a larger center,and the local stuff around here sounds local.
I know several in TO are mostly using the same equiment pretty much, but the nationals spots really have a clean,in your face sound, lots of pop and I'd appreciate having an example for mixing reference.
Thanks a bunch.
Ken
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

Here's a local spot I did for Ashland Community Hospital.
It's a warm fuzzy kinda ad but has a good VO IMHO.
The original delivery was .WAV 16/48.
Peaks are no more than -10db so it might sound a little quiet on your player.

Maybe I'll upload one or two national spots later.

But the thing about local TV is that you are at their mercy. The national spots are fed through by the networks. The local ones are fed locally.
Attached Files

30ACHbit.mp3 (1.03 MB, 913 views)

Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks RobMacki, good stuff. I think the question is How do we make the local stuff sound like the national stuff?
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

I can't give you a link, but here's my co. website where you can see/hear my work under "the work" section.

www.genuinemusic.tv
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowillie View Post
Thanks RobMacki, good stuff. I think the question is How do we make the local stuff sound like the national stuff?
Well as I kinda said in my post.
Once I deliver it, I'm at their mercy.
I've heard all kinds of horror stories of how local air play of commercials are done.
What I have done is to find out delivery specs for the local stations.
I've asked questions like "What is the exact signal chain before it goes out on the air?" "What is the threshold of your brickwall set to?" "Do you broadcast stereo or mono?" "How do you load in?" etc.
I have found that many local station "techs", at least in my area, either didn't know the answers or could care less. I did find out that only one station in my local area broadcasts in stereo. the others broadcast in mono!!

Then there is the issue of what the editor or production co does with it once it leaves my room.
Do they layback to analog beta tape and drive it so hot that it slams against the threshold at the station and ruins it?
I have one production co that dubs from FCP to analog Beta and will add their own tone and then mix levels after the tone

I had to convince them that they were delivering the spots too hot!!
And that their tone ref level was working against them.
I still don't know if they took my advice or shrugged it off.

What I do is always try to listen to how my mixes translate broadcasted on my set.
For the most part they are good.
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Nut

I do lots of national (Canadian!) spots in Toronto. We have to deal with way too many variables with mixes we send out.

When a mix leaves our studios, it is referenced to 0 VU = -20 dBfs. But then it goes through many hands before getting to air: level can change at the restripe (or layback), at the duplication house, and at the network when they ingest it into their system. We just have to hope that all of the operators handling it don't change it. We've had spots sound radically different between stations.

Overall, for TV if you want to sound loud and forward, make sure you have good present mid-range and keep things fairly slammed. Don't peak too high or either the whole mix will be pulled down and sound quiet overall, or the peaks will sound AWFUL on the air when they hit the broadcast limiters too hard.

Does that help?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search