The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question(s) about potential studio needs/gear
Old 30th January 2007
Here for the gear

Question(s) about potential studio needs/gear

Hello All,

I have a degree in film and have engineered tons of music over the past eight years. I owned a studio for five years that catered to indie artists who had recording budgets in the $5-10k range. My gear was good mid-level stuff: UA gear, higher-end Mackie stuff, Focusrite, Amek, Ampex, etc.

I enjoyed working with the indie-bands and am now interested in opening a modest facility for indie filmmakers in my region. I've mixed/ADR'd/foleyed a few films lately and the results have been very positive.

I have access to a good space, about 1,000 sq. ft. I'm imagining a place where small-time filmmakers can get something better than a guy in his apartment with a computer. Obviously, it won't compete with a big-time post house - but for a nominal fee - they'll get something light-years better than their homemade mix.

What gear do you experts recommend as must-haves that wouldn't break my bank?

The main sticking point is room treatment -- I know the room, in its current state, sounds terrible.

The heart of the mix-room will be a Mac Pro. I want a great metering system and excellent A/D/A -- I'm thinking of using all Benchmark gear. What do you recommend for locking the Mac to an external deck? Or should I work of QTs?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Seriously. I wouldn't worry about getting expensive top of the line converters. It might fullfill your own gearlust, but for TV and low budget films, it's a non-issues.
Spend the money on a good projection system, and treating the room.
You'll need a good archiving system. And that can cost a bundle as well.
An extensive SFX library, and a place to do foley.
Don't forget a good sized ADR room as well.
Get the Dolby plug-ins as you'll ahve to eb able to deliver Dolby Lt-Rt mixes for pretty much everythign you mix.

Is there a market where you're at, for the services you'll be offering?
Old 30th January 2007
I'd start with a good monitoring chain. I could tout the virtues of Genelec, but for as many people who stand behind genelec, there are the same number that who tell you to use 20 different sets of speakers.... I'd leave it at Genelec, blue sky, or some other higher end monitor system. it will need to be 5.1. You will also need a good room EQ system... at least a rane 1/3 oct eq or something better to tune the room for film. For metering I always recommend DKaudio, but they are a little expensive..
You will also need a good downmixer and its possible you'll need a DA88 or DA98, although if your not doing printmastering, you probably don't need it. Get some good disk drives for client projects, like Glyph or similar... ( it's all I use at my place ).
Also develop a good backup and recovery plan, file managment plan and project documentation plan... They'll come in handly. The other thing you'll need is a good sound library and a way to record Dialogue/ADR and some Foley.
Oh, yea.... get an inexpensive CRT monitor and a good projection system with a microperf screen... Try VUtec for a cost effective screen system.

cheers
geo
Old 30th January 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks - yes, I am going to invest in a great SFX collection. Your advice about excellent converters is well-taken. What are your views on the Sony Sound Effects collection?

ADR will be recorded in a booth about the size of two conventional vocal booths. Foley will be recorded in the same room and in more of a 'live' situation if I need more ambience.

I know this isn't optimal, but this will be a budget studio for low-budget films.

As far as the market goes, there are a lot of film schools in the area and a steady stream of local productions -- no, it isn't LA, but it is the kind of city where, if you're good, word will catch on quickly and you'll be the go-to studio.

GEO:

Thanks for the advice -- your facility is stunning! Can you tell me why you recommend the CRT monitor?

Last edited by longcipher; 30th January 2007 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: adding reply
Old 30th January 2007
I keep a CRT monitor in my dub stage.. It's set up right next to the console. I use it for Sync ... it's easier than usin the big HD screen across the room sometimes... If i'm editing or syncing a detail I can simply do rapid eye movements between the Protools rig and the local crt monitor... all 3 screens are next to each other and the same distance from my eyes.... Also, its normally less delay on a crt than a flat screen or, projector.

I highly recommend you purchase a SYNCheck box as well since every video output device, and every LCD, plasma, Crt, projector, has a different delay time... Between all the various video monitors in my facility i've got from less than 1 fame to 3 frames of offset to deal with... CRTs being the least offensive units.

cheers
geo
Old 31st January 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

lip-sync fun

I'm sure lip sync type issues will be discussed much in this area, but these can be useful for checking sync (as mentioned by Georgia above) syncheck and Lip checker. Useful tools.

Regards,

jhg
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

Smile

can you use the syncheck with out useing SMTE. im not understanding how this

product works.
Old 1st February 2007
yup...

you play a provided protools file and video file together...
the handheld unit has two sensors on in... one to regeister to audio "pop" and 1 to register the video flash frame. It simply corolates the dirrerence in frames or sub-frames depending on the setting on the box..

Point and shoot.

cheers
geo
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Lightbulb Pointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Point and shoot.
You can point directly at (perpendicular to) a CRT, but you must point parallel to a plasma or the photo sensitive cell will not register the flash.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search