The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Video game sound design (GTA)
Old 19th January 2007
Video game sound design (GTA)

Picking up on the Why is there no post-production film/TV forum? thread, i recently picked up a cheap (but legit) copy of GTA Vice City for my PC

i've been playing games for decades, but this is the first time i've been really blown away by the exceptional sound design elements in a game

i've done a search here but no mention of it i can find

huge props to the team who worked on this - everything from the song selection, hilarious talk radio clips, ambience & special fx are just flawlessly laid out - the boat clip with Wang Chung's DanceHall Days sounds impossibly huge and widescreen. man, the '80's never sounded so good! i watch the opening sequence everytime i boot the game up because it's so great it brings a smile to my face heh heh heh

any other awards we should be dishing out??
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

They did do a hell of a job with that one didn't they. Love the opening sequence, it's brilliant. Equally impressive is the GTA San Andreas. I was in So Cali during that time period and they nailed it, perfectly.

Love those games.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb0...kstargames.htm

Here's an article on how they did the sound for GTA.
Impressive work indeed.
Old 19th January 2007
great article Jupiter, many thanks.

i knew i was in the company of genius when i drove up to the club and heard the muffled bass frequencies coming through the building. complete immersion indeed.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wow, great stuff. I have a friend who studies classical composition and theory at the University of Texas when hes not playing video games, and I keep trying to get him interested in composing music for games. Are there any resources out there for helping someone like this get started? How do you get your foot in the door, so to speak?
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
Wow, great stuff. I have a friend who studies classical composition and theory at the University of Texas when hes not playing video games, and I keep trying to get him interested in composing music for games. Are there any resources out there for helping someone like this get started? How do you get your foot in the door, so to speak?
You friend needs to be interested in scoring those jobs first..

Then he needs to make some mock up of his work ie a audio portfolio where he composes and produces music that can work in film and games.

Then shop it to local directors...get your music in a film or two... gain some credibility.

My group has had music in 2 indie films... both doing a score and a soundtrack.

It came from the directors hearing out music and makin inquiries about us doing work for them.

My partner has been doing sound for a web-based video game company....

I tried for almost 2 years to get a full time job doing sound for video games companies before I gave up and got a job for a company that engineers and manufacturs audio gear.

I found that most video game companies now do not have an ONSITE sound engineer....instead they subcontract out all the sound design and scoring.

And the few places that did have a sound engineer on site...had one sound engineer for every 200 programmers....so that job is pretty hard to come by.

http://www.fourbarsintertainment.com/

That is one of the largest suppliers of sound for games. Very hard to get a deal from them unless you are a very accomplished composer... what I got from the VP there is a response very close to this " You have some great music and tallent there; however, we do not contract composers for their first major game deal. Get your first deal by yourself, finish it on time, let us know about it so we can check it out, and maybe we will get your second deal for you. Throw your net far and wide and sooner or later you will catch something."
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryinmotion View Post
You friend needs to be interested in scoring those jobs first..
Yeah, and a little less interested in smoking and playing video games, but thats another story....

Thanks for the advice Dillin, I'll definitely pass it along to him and check out the website you posted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search