The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RX 5 Advanced Audio Editor now available
Old 10th October 2015
  #31
Lives for gear
 

I never went to 4 so the upgrade price was good.

If you're on PT I would say the upgrade is worth it even if you already have RX4. Multi-clip round trip and Ambience Match Audiosuite would justify the cost IMO. Both of those will save a ton of time.
Old 10th October 2015
  #32
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Mottl's Avatar
 

Interesting with the ambience match audio suite...
How are old licenses handled? I would love to hold on to my RX3 adv. AudioSuite versions for quick click and done in PT (i.e. no RX connect if not needed). Do they remain available or is v3 removed in the upgrade process?
Old 10th October 2015
  #33
HTML Code:
On this forum and others, we've heard extensively from users who feel strongly they shouldn't be penalized for skipping a major version release, and prefer simpler pricing as opposed to a more nuanced pricing structure.
"Tough luck" is my opinion. I and others made the commitment to Izotope to invest in version 4. I work at major facilities that have not yet purchased it but I as well as others believed it was worth the upgrade price.

I also think that some of the new stuff in version 5 came from ideas of users who bought version 4, thus again not rewarding those who invested in your products.

This is the type of regressive pricing is the same thing that "Avid" is upsetting people with. I myself will wait for version 6 and pay the 1-5 upgrade price.

Thank you for your wonderful product.

Stephan Carrier

Last edited by Jedisteph; 11th October 2015 at 12:26 AM..
Old 10th October 2015
  #34
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mottl View Post
Interesting with the ambience match audio suite...
How are old licenses handled? I would love to hold on to my RX3 adv. AudioSuite versions for quick click and done in PT (i.e. no RX connect if not needed). Do they remain available or is v3 removed in the upgrade process?
Thats one thing really great about Izotopes upgrade policy, you hold onto the old versions, which you might need if you have projects with say RX3 dialog denoiser as an insert.
Old 11th October 2015
  #35
Gear Head
 

Thought I'd pass on where I'm coming out on this.

I currently use RX 4 Advanced.

Today I spent a couple of hours trying out the RX Final Mix plug in. The internet discussions and videos (including those of iZotope and its effective spokesman, Mike Thornton) do not adequately explain its usefulness. Within two hours of trying it hands-on, it was for me a no-brainer. I've just bought a copy.

I am likely to purchase RX 5 but will make that decision over the next few days.

So why don't I just buy Production Suite for an upgrade price of $600, which would add Loudness Control plus one year of Groove3 ($150) and 50 credits on Pro Sound Effects ($60 to $250 depending on plan)?

Because it exposes me to the risk, as an owner of Production Suite, that my only upgrade path is to the next version of Production Suite, and I don't need (indeed as a Logic/Final Cut user can't use) Loudness Control, and because the Groove3/Pro Sound Effects incentive doesn't have enough value for me to take on the risk of being locked into a bundle. When I asked Matt Hines this question (see above), he (unsurprisingly) gave me a noncommittal answer.

Yesterday, for me this was a question of whether to go from RX 4 Advanced to RX 5 Advanced. Today it became a fairly quick decision to buy RX Final Mix and deal with RX 5 this coming week.

If I have one suggestion for iZotope, it's that it make the feature sets and pricing of its various products, versions of products and bundles easier to understand. As someone who is not entirely ignorant of the brand, having used RX since version 3, I've spent more time than should have been necessary cutting through the marketing bumpf and product variations to understand my options.

Cheers
Old 12th October 2015
  #36
Here for the gear
 

In case anyone's interested, B&H has RX Final Mix on for $255.
Old 12th October 2015
  #37
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedisteph View Post
HTML Code:
On this forum and others, we've heard extensively from users who feel strongly they shouldn't be penalized for skipping a major version release, and prefer simpler pricing as opposed to a more nuanced pricing structure.
"Tough luck" is my opinion. I and others made the commitment to Izotope to invest in version 4. I work at major facilities that have not yet purchased it but I as well as others believed it was worth the upgrade price.

I also think that some of the new stuff in version 5 came from ideas of users who bought version 4, thus again not rewarding those who invested in your products.

This is the type of regressive pricing is the same thing that "Avid" is upsetting people with. I myself will wait for version 6 and pay the 1-5 upgrade price.

Thank you for your wonderful product.

Stephan Carrier
I've been using RX from V1 and have always felt like the upgrade price was fair. It doesn't penalize users if they wanted to skip a version now and then and for the work that I do pays for itself in time saved in no time.

Any company that listens to its customers or clients should be implementing their ideas into the new version. It would seem that Izotope as a whole is much more active in listening to what its customers say than most.

I feel like its completely different than Avid's pricing. With Avid if you miss 1 update of $599 then your on the hook for $999 the next time, you cant skip versions without a penalty.

I'm sure there is some sort of middle ground, like V1-2 are more and 3-4 are less but overall if feels very fair to me.
Old 14th October 2015
  #38
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxmw View Post
I've been using RX from V1 and have always felt like the upgrade price was fair. It doesn't penalize users if they wanted to skip a version now and then and for the work that I do pays for itself in time saved in no time.

Any company that listens to its customers or clients should be implementing their ideas into the new version. It would seem that Izotope as a whole is much more active in listening to what its customers say than most.

I feel like its completely different than Avid's pricing. With Avid if you miss 1 update of $599 then your on the hook for $999 the next time, you cant skip versions without a penalty.

I'm sure there is some sort of middle ground, like V1-2 are more and 3-4 are less but overall if feels very fair to me.
As someone who has just gone from RX 4 Advanced to RX 5 Advanced and RX Final Mix, I completely agree.

In any event, there is an emerging price differential. I received an e-mail this afternoon offering me, as a "loyal iZotope user", RX Post Production Suite for $500 rather than $600. Meanwhile, in the last three days I've purchased RX 5 Advanced and RX Final Mix for $600 But I'm not upset about it. I don't actually need the additional features of RX Post Production, and given that iZotope won't tell me (see Matt Hines above) whether buying RX Post Production locks me into this bundle for upgrade pricing in the future, I'll live with my decision.

My congratulations to Brian Desmond and all the members of the user interface design team. Very nice improvements, and I think more than just a matter of change in fashion. Some comments about this from Mr. Desmond on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/137283414

Cheers

P.S. Maybe iZotope should be looking at the integration between its marketing database and sales database ?
Old 14th October 2015
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadden View Post
iZotope won't tell me (see Matt Hines above) whether buying RX Post Production locks me into this bundle for upgrade pricing in the future, I'll live with my decision.

My congratulations to Brian Desmond and all the members of the user interface design team. Very nice improvements, and I think more than just a matter of change in fashion. Some comments about this from Mr. Desmond on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/137283414
I'm sure Brian's reading this thread, but I'll pass that along to be sure. The entire team appreciates your feedback, both positive and critical, so please keep it coming!

With regards to the RX Post Production Suite, as I mentioned, although I'm unable to give concrete specifics, there will always be appropriate and accommodating upgrade/crossgrade pathways for all users. I definitely understand that's not the full clarification you're seeking, but I hope to be as reassuring as possible.

For both owners of the suite, and people who own different combinations of the individual components, I'm always interested in any feature requests. Indeed, this latest evolution of RX Audio Editor is quite significant, and I hope to iterate on and add value to your investment over time.
Old 17th October 2015
  #40
Lives for gear
 
cebolao's Avatar
 

matt, is it technically possible that leveller would adjust protools CLIP GAIN LINE instead of rendering the levelled audio to a new clip?

that would be huge. i always want to be able to undo / retweak things, especially as important as clip gain line.
Old 17th October 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Benmrx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
matt, is it technically possible that leveller would adjust protools CLIP GAIN LINE instead of rendering the levelled audio to a new clip?

that would be huge. i always want to be able to undo / retweak things, especially as important as clip gain line.
+1

That WOULD be huge!
Old 18th October 2015
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
matt, is it technically possible that leveller would adjust protools CLIP GAIN LINE instead of rendering the levelled audio to a new clip?

that would be huge. i always want to be able to undo / retweak things, especially as important as clip gain line.
Unfortunately, this isn't currently possible, as we don't have the necessary access within the AudioSuite SDK for that level of granularity.

I agree it would be fantastic, and we continue to work with Avid and hope to one day make this a possibility.
Old 19th October 2015
  #43
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

I'm trying to do the click for the email offer for "RX Post Production Suite" (I recently bought most of the suite and I think you guys figured out a way of giving a small break, thank you), but for some reason I get a error on the checkout when I do the click on my email link. I sent something in to support and haven't received any response yet, but this is a more sales support question(the email only gave me till the 21st to get this upgrade price).
Old 19th October 2015
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I'm trying to do the click for the email offer for "RX Post Production Suite" (I recently bought most of the suite and I think you guys figured out a way of giving a small break, thank you), but for some reason I get a error on the checkout when I do the click on my email link. I sent something in to support and haven't received any response yet, but this is a more sales support question(the email only gave me till the 21st to get this upgrade price).
Hi Patrick,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Our Customer Care team aims to reply within 24-48 hours, excluding weekends, so you should be hearing from them soon.

We reply to every support inquiry. If for any reason you don't hear back, I'd recommend checking your spam filters, and if there's nothing there, you know where to find me!

Kind Regards,

Matt
Old 19th October 2015
  #45
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHines View Post
Hi Patrick,
... We reply to every support inquiry. If for any reason you don't hear back, I'd recommend checking your spam filters, and if there's nothing there, you know where to find me!

Kind Regards,

Matt
Awesome, got the suite bought, Ilok activated, installed and tested. As a complete suite, it's really impressive ... I mean before it was great having tools for various things, but now it feels more like a complete platform not a set of side tool.
Old 22nd October 2015
  #46
That's great to hear! What are you enjoying the most?
Old 22nd October 2015
  #47
Lives for gear
 
cebolao's Avatar
 

matt, please, make it possible to process multichannel files

i do not mean denoising (never really needed to denoise multichannel) - but phase accurate PITCH SHIFTING and TIME COMPRESSION / EXPANSION.

it's a must for 24 / 25 fps conversion of stems and full mixes.

then it will be THE postproduction suite

Last edited by cebolao; 22nd October 2015 at 09:31 PM..
Old 22nd October 2015
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
matt, please, make it possible to process multichannel files

i do not mean denoising (never really needed to denoise multichannel) - but phase accurate PITCH SHIFTING and TIME COMPRESSION / EXPANSION.

it's a must for 24 / 25 fps conversion of stems and full mixes.

then it will be THE postproduction suite
Multi-channel support is definitely something we receive a number of requests for, and are investigating (as with all features on our backlog).

If we were to do it, it would work for all features, not just some features.

You're also asking for frame rate accurate time/pitch compression/expansion, which we'd have to implement first before multi-channel, in order to accommodate your workflow in this way.

We currently don't support pull up/pull downs.

Thanks for the request!
Old 23rd October 2015
  #49
Lives for gear
 
cebolao's Avatar
 

great. pull ups / pull downs are very important.
Old 23rd October 2015
  #50
Lives for gear
 
cebolao's Avatar
 

to be honest i need only pitch shift.

my way of doing pull ups / pull downs is to resample tracks during import in protools.

i get sample - accurate, perfectly synced files, with absolutely no phase shift between channels. it's just about 4% higher / lower in pitch.

all i need is to pitch shift the files back to their original. and i would love to do it in RX.
Old 27th October 2015
  #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
great. pull ups / pull downs are very important.
+1

I thought it would have come a lot earlier. Protools pitch shift is inferior to RX. But I'll wait til comprehensive surround pull up/down is implemented before I upgrade from RX4adv

I also agree with rregde and others regarding telling us the truth about bundle upgrade pricing instead of trying to divert our attention or saying "we'll look after you dont worry"...in this current climate of developers DELIBERATELY withholding their true plans and feeding us BS like Avid has. We are the only ones that will keep it in check. Well done for making it clear rredge. I'm not saying that Izotope have been deceitful, it's great that you're listening Matt. But please relay to your strategists to be careful in this respect, we are all more aware of developer marketing BS these days.

Last edited by bcslaam; 27th October 2015 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: post clarity
Old 27th October 2015
  #52
Lives for gear
 
PatrickFaith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHines View Post
That's great to hear! What are you enjoying the most?
So far, in some weird way by just barely using the toolset I'm finding my sessions are a lot "cleaner", I think when I used the wrong tool for the job, I started digging myself into a sound hole. Now I try and get the basic tracks clean, do simple send/mixing, starting to barely use rx matching and balance tools to merge the tracks (with the lowest levels set). I'm learning subtle adjustments and clean workflow is often the best approach.
Old 26th January 2016
  #53
Lives for gear
 
cebolao's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHines View Post
Multi-channel support is definitely something we receive a number of requests for, and are investigating (as with all features on our backlog).


Thanks for the request!


any news on multichannel?
Old 27th January 2016
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post
any news on multichannel?
Not at this time.

We do prioritize and keep track of all feature requests, but I'm not able to be any more specific about our development timeline.
Old 8th December 2016
  #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHines View Post
Not at this time.

We do prioritize and keep track of all feature requests, but I'm not able to be any more specific about our development timeline.
Given this year was the first in some time Oct didn't bring a new version of RX, is there any info you can share about RX 6 release timeframe? Not asking for a specific date, but it would be extremely helpful to know whether I should pursue other options like nonoise or hold out for a few months. I'm hoping there will be some further advancements in the declick/crackle/interpolate and most importantly NR. Thanks,
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 217 views: 49708
Avatar for Leverson
Leverson 7th June 2014
replies: 102 views: 20453
Avatar for Gigazaga
Gigazaga 13th February 2014
replies: 125 views: 15047
Avatar for miscend
miscend 2 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump