The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
S3 versus Artist Mix
Old 19th May 2015
Lives for gear

S3 versus Artist Mix

Anyone here have any experience with the S3? Are the faders any better than the faders on the Artist Mix? Because the AM faders suck. Or if I want smooth, accurate faders, am I going to have to get an S6?
Old 19th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
Anyone here have any experience with the S3? Are the faders any better than the faders on the Artist Mix? Because the AM faders suck. Or if I want smooth, accurate faders, am I going to have to get an S6?
Some info here:

S6 vs Quad Artist Mixes.
Old 19th May 2015
The S3 feels great. Much much better than the artist series. It's very well built. It has the same faders and knobs as the S6. I actually prefer its build quality over the S6. It feels more sturdy. It's most noticeable with the knobs. There's a lot of side to side play on the S6 knobs compared to the S3. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
The S3 feels great. Much much better than the artist series. It's very well built. It has the same faders and knobs as the S6. I actually prefer its build quality over the S6. It feels more sturdy. It's most noticeable with the knobs. There's a lot of side to side play on the S6 knobs compared to the S3. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to getting mine!
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
Weird, i had the opposite impression. I freelance at a stdio that has all 3 controllers (S6, S3 and Artist). The S3 built is nothing like the S6, not even close. I would say it's closer to the artist series.
Old 21st May 2015
Lives for gear

As another option, you could probably pick up a used D-Command dirt cheap these days. Their faders are really nice and the knobs seem a lot sturdier than the S6. I know they've been discontinued, but they still work just as well as ever and there are so many ICONS out there that I can't believe Avid would stop supporting them.

Weren't you testing a Slate Raven? Did you abandon that idea?
Old 21st May 2015
Lives for gear

I am testing the Raven. I'm using it with an Artist Mix currently. Of the two, the Artist Mix is a waste of money. I'm enjoying the MTI. It's not perfect (It's missing some controls I like for my work flow) but, since it's software based, their programmers are working on including those buttons in the next software release. Believe me, I have considered a D-Command. I got nearly 16 years out of my Procontrol, and like that way of working. The used D-Commands, with panners, are still up in the 20 to 30 thousand range. For that, I could get into an M10 bucket on an S6. Which is not out of the realm of possibility. The thing about the Slate is that I don't need to flip my EQs to the faders, I just touch the parameters I want to change, and move them in real time. I suggested a panner overlay, that would go over a video window on the screen, and you would just drag the object over the screen with image to pan. Now, I have discovered that Spanner v2 does just that. So, I'm going to try it with the slate. If it works well, I would get the MTI along with a D-Control, just as a dedicated panner and plug in control. Or an S3 if the faders are good. BTW Gary, if you want to come by and check out the Slate, you are certainly welcome to.
Old 21st May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am testing the Raven. I'm using it with an Artist Mix currently. Of the two, the Artist Mix is a waste of money. I'm enjoying the MTI. It's not perfect (It's missing some controls I like for my work flow) but, since it's software based, their programmers are working on including those buttons in the next software release. Believe me, I have considered a D-Command. I got nearly 16 years out of my Procontrol, and like that way of working. The used D-Commands, with panners, are still up in the 20 to 30 thousand range. For that, I could get into an M10 bucket on an S6. Which is not out of the realm of possibility. The thing about the Slate is that I don't need to flip my EQs to the faders, I just touch the parameters I want to change, and move them in real time. I suggested a panner overlay, that would go over a video window on the screen, and you would just drag the object over the screen with image to pan. Now, I have discovered that Spanner v2 does just that. So, I'm going to try it with the slate. If it works well, I would get the MTI along with a D-Control, just as a dedicated panner and plug in control. Or an S3 if the faders are good. BTW Gary, if you want to come by and check out the Slate, you are certainly welcome to.
Thanks, Charles, I may do that since I've finally got a few weeks off.

FWIW, I've seen open box D Commands main sections for sale on eBay for $7000 or best offer and a fader pack would be less than that. I haven't even done a thorough search, those just came up on the first page, so I'm pretty confident you could put together a 24 fader D-Command for $13k or less. But that's still a good sized chunk of cash.
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

And it's EOS. I'm not ditching my Procontrol and Edit pack because I want to. So, to get into something that could end in a few PT versions, I'd rather bite the bullet, get the newest, and hope I stay in business for another 15 years. I'm still dragging my feet on switching from 10 to 11 or 12. Change is hard.
Old 22nd May 2015
I haven't mixed much on my Raven MTi yet but interested to hear what you think about using the touch faders vs physical faders + Raven for plugin/panning.
Old 22nd May 2015
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=ggegan;11064196]
Quote:

FWIW, I've seen open box D Commands main sections for sale on eBay for $7000 or best offer and a fader pack would be less than that. I haven't even done a thorough search, those just came up on the first page, so I'm pretty confident you could put together a 24 fader D-Command for $13k or less. But that's still a good sized chunk of cash.[/QUOT]

I think you can buy a d command even cheaper then 13k. I think 8k or less is doable in today's market, but you might be buying a new controllet in a fee years.
Old 22nd May 2015
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=brandoncross;11066162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post

FWIW, I've seen open box D Commands main sections for sale on eBay for $7000 or best offer and a fader pack would be less than that. I haven't even done a thorough search, those just came up on the first page, so I'm pretty confident you could put together a 24 fader D-Command for $13k or less. But that's still a good sized chunk of cash.[/QUOT]

I think you can buy a d command even cheaper then 13k. I think 8k or less is doable in today's market, but you might be buying a new controllet in a fee years.
Just bought a 24 fader d-command ES off ebay myself. There were a bunch being listed earlier in the year, now not so much.. 12k was the going price. Coming from a C24 couldn't be happier.
Old 23rd May 2015
If the faders on the S3 make as much racket as they do on the Artist Mix, I'd want my money back.
And speaking of money, if I had the budget for an S3, I'd get a Nucleus instead. About same price, and definitely the better control surface, I'd think...
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chapman View Post
If the faders on the S3 make as much racket as they do on the Artist Mix, I'd want my money back.
And speaking of money, if I had the budget for an S3, I'd get a Nucleus instead. About same price, and definitely the better control surface, I'd think...
Hi Tom, you can't beat the integration of eucon and pro tools. No HUI controller can do anything close to what the s3, artist or s6 can do.
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Nucleus can't compete if you're using PT. Eucon holds the advantage.

That's why the Artist Control is still relevant. Worse faders than the Mix but the configurable touch screen is key.

I have a feeling Avid is going to unlock that capability with the new iPad app through an in-app purchase. I would pay for an app that recreates that functionality without buying an old eternally unfinished control surface.
Old 23rd May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Nucleus can't compete if you're using PT. Eucon holds the advantage.

That's why the Artist Control is still relevant. Worse faders than the Mix but the configurable touch screen is key.

I have a feeling Avid is going to unlock that capability with the new iPad app through an in-app purchase. I would pay for an app that recreates that functionality without buying an old eternally unfinished control surface.
Eucon has excellent integration with almost every daw.
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone running an S3 in anger?
I have a demo one but first impressions is that I am going to struggle to replace my artist mix and artist control with anything short of D-Command /Control or S6.

Key thing are the automation controls that I have programmed on touch screen.
I wanted better faders mainly but.......trade offs maybe not

Thought or opinions? Anyone managed to configure it to their liking?

On my user screen I have auto enables for plugin/fader/pan/send plus preview and punch auto suspend coalesce. Pan and plugin window toggles auto match etc.
On softkeys permanently available I have clear solo back and play auto modes in trim do to all do to select save loop playback.

Thats the sort of thing I use all the time and prob can't work without. s3 allows some user keys and I can prob get used to not having visual feedback in exchange for better build and better faders
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
I have a demo one but first impressions is that I am going to struggle to replace my artist mix and artist control with anything short of D-Command /Control or S6.

Key thing are the automation controls that I have programmed on touch screen.
I wanted better faders mainly but.......trade offs maybe not

Thought or opinions? Anyone managed to configure it to their liking?

On my user screen I have auto enables for plugin/fader/pan/send plus preview and punch auto suspend coalesce. Pan and plugin window toggles auto match etc.
On softkeys permanently available I have clear solo back and play auto modes in trim do to all do to select save loop playback.

Thats the sort of thing I use all the time and prob can't work without. s3 allows some user keys and I can prob get used to not having visual feedback in exchange for better build and better faders
You can use a transport with the s3. I think it has 16 programmable buttons on it and the shift buttons. That should be enough, right?
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Or just get an ipad and use that together with the faders.
The iPad can be set up to do whatever you need depending on what software you want to run.
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
The iPad can be set up to do whatever you need depending on what software you want to run.
so the ipad app can run in conjunction with s3? Apparently the Artist control won't an although it would be clumsy I could prob live with that but ipad would be cool

Have to investigate the transport option too
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

The Slate MTI paired with the S3 might be a good option for you. Just have your buttons on screen.
Old 10th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
AFAIK Avid hasn't released full details on what their iPad app will and won't support. And no other app can use Eucon commands so they won't provide the same functions.

Hopefully Avid will implement a customizable page layout like the Artist Control. So we can put our most used functions together, color-code them, icons, etc....
Old 11th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
Hi Chris -Be good to hear your thoughts on the stability of the S3 (How does it go paging quickly between large numbers of tracks, and updating faders and pots etc) -Eucon still scares me a little..... once bitten etc etc etc

All the best

Bruno
Old 11th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
AFAIK Avid hasn't released full details on what their iPad app will and won't support. And no other app can use Eucon commands so they won't provide the same functions.

Hopefully Avid will implement a customizable page layout like the Artist Control. So we can put our most used functions together, color-code them, icons, etc....
Stile The Avid iPad app might be really cool when it eventually appears, it is not really needed. I can create keycommands, colorise my heart out and more using Lemur.
But yes PT is limited since it has many functions without keycommands that relies on GUI "buttons". Those are harder but not impossible to co tell even in PT (see the raven, it isn't rocket science).
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

Conclusion so far is that Artist Mix and Artist control - despite fewer and poorer faders and fewer rotary encoders is a faster setup to mix on simply due to the touch screen and the customisation you can do there. I think for post the S3 is too compromised given what it was originally intended to do and its price.

Bruno - Eucon has some pitfall for sure but it seems to work far better on these smaller controllers than say the S5 console - thought its was pretty crap last time I treid to use Eucon at Park Road
Old 20th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Slate MTI paired with the S3 might be a good option for you. Just have your buttons on screen.
Is that possible? I currently work in a studio where there just bought a newe S3 and a MTi.

I thought you had to deselect the EUCON in pref. before you can use teh RAVEN software?
Old 20th June 2015
Gear Maniac

They both work together fine. Only problem is the meters on the mti mixer don't function properly when using both.
Old 20th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisser View Post
They both work together fine. Only problem is the meters on the mti mixer don't function properly when using both.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try it on monday, but I didn't see the Raven software though.
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literecordings View Post
Is that possible? I currently work in a studio where there just bought a newe S3 and a MTi.

I thought you had to deselect the EUCON in pref. before you can use teh RAVEN software?
I had the Slate MTI and the Artist mix working together, I use external Dorroughs and the DMM to meter.
Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

What i think happened is the s3 was made by the live sound side of avid and then they are now trying to force fit it into the other side. What a weird product. No transport? Guys and gals need those buttons to be nice and big so they can not think about them 1000x a day.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search