The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Posting Videos Online
Old 18th May 2015
Here for the gear

Posting Videos Online

Hello,

I recreated the sound for 3 videos which are all scenes from well known movies:
- The Matrix
- Goldeney
- A Bug's Life

Will I be able to post it on my website and use it as part of my portfolio?

Cheers
Old 20th May 2015
Lives for gear

No.
Old 20th May 2015
Find some student films to work on so you have some original material to post.
Old 20th May 2015
Gear Maniac

The strict legal answer is no, you can't, but in reality if you clearly state that you recreated the sounds from the videos as a personal/student project, and you'd don't own the rights to the originals then chances are nothing will happen. People (often students) do this all the time. Worst case you'll get a take-down notice from the original copyright holders.

Now if you are attempting to pass it off as if you actually worked on those films, that would be a very very bad idea, but that doesn't sound like your intentions.

Cananball has some very good advice about working on student films with original material. The scenes may not be as flashy as the Matrix, but you'll be working on projects you can actually credit yourself on, and you will be getting experience working with other people in a team, which is just as valuable in the long run as whiz-bang reel footage
Old 21st May 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks Leverson for your elaborate explanation, for now since I don't have much to show for I will make sure I state that it was a student project as you said.

And thank you Cananball for your advice too.

All the best to you guys
Old 4th June 2015
Lives for gear

Use something you know is clear to use.

If you post anything from "A Bugs Life" at best; they will insist you take it down.

It could get worse.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search