The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Working in Audio Post Production Online
Old 23rd April 2015
Gear interested

Working in Audio Post Production Online

Hi,
I'm wondering whether it is possible to make an income by doing post production work exclusively online. For music, film, tv audio books, any sort of audio. Audio engineering is a world in which I would love to work and to be self employed and free to move around is a dream of mine. I have experience in mixing and mastering and would be willing to do courses to get to a professional level. I have already applied for a two year course and been accepted. However I want to know whether this dream is possible enough to pursue. I have already done a degree in college (social sciences) but now have no interest in working in any job relating to it. Thankfully I have no debt as my degree was paid for entirely by the state (I live in Ireland) but I have been doing dead end retail jobs for the past two years. I'm now 23 and want to begin creating a life and income for myself which I am passionate about.
I'm just wondering if any of you can share any information on whether it would be possible to set up your own business offering post production services exclusively online and make upwards of 10,000 Euro a year. I currently only make 10,000 Euro a year (which is actually enough money for my lifestyle) but do not like my job. My dream is to move to a rural cheap and warm Mediterranean country and work online as as an audio engineer living a very low expenses life.
Is this entirely fantasy, or could it be possible.
Please reply with any advice.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Nope.
Maybe one day when you are well established and have a couple of decades of experience.
But the dream of living on an island and working on projects remotely, is just that.
A dream.
Why would I hire someone thousands of miles away, when there are more than enough people in town I can talk to go face to face?
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Of course you can. But I agree with Henchman that you first need to establish yourself in a certain market, and then, when you have clients, and your workflows are defined, they trust and depend on you, you can move, or live "in-between places". I think you could do it in several years - "decades" is pessimistic!

But you need to plan for it from the beginning. Eg. you can be a remote sound editor or foley artist, but you can't be a supervising sound editor or a re-recording mixer.
Old 24th April 2015
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
Of course you can. But I agree with Henchman that you first need to establish yourself in a certain market, and then, when you have clients, and your workflows are defined, they trust and depend on you, you can move, or live "in-between places". I think you could do it in several years - "decades" is pessimistic!

But you need to plan for it from the beginning. Eg. you can be a remote sound editor or foley artist, but you can't be a supervising sound editor or a re-recording mixer.
Thanks for the reply. I know its not possible to work in any area which requires you to be on site (such as re-recording) but what areas should I focus on to be employable. Also I'm not only interested in film and television I would work in any area that there was a market in. I'm just unsure where that market is.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Pretty much everything we do requires you to be in the same area. As there will be spottimg sessions, fixes that need to be down quickly etc.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Pretty much everything we do requires you to be in the same area. As there will be spottimg sessions, fixes that need to be down quickly etc.
I do a couple projects where I never see anyone else on the project and only communicate via email. The picture and AAF gets sent to me via Dropbox and the spotting notes are sent via email. When I finish cutting and predubbing I send the session to the other mixer via Dropbox and he finals it. I can only work that way if I am not final mixing, but the FX are very close to the way they will be in the final. The other mixer and I worked out the templates ahead of time, so the session imports into his final mix session with no hassles. If they need adds or fixes I send them via Dropbox too. I could do these two projects from just about anywhere in the world. The trick is that I've known the other mixer for probably 20 years and we've mixed a bunch of feature and TV projects together on dub stages over the years, so there is a lot of history there and we both know what is expected and how things will be. It would take a giant leap of faith to try this with someone I hadn't worked with a lot.

Last edited by ggegan; 24th April 2015 at 03:21 AM..
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Exactly why I said it can take a decade or two to get to that point.
And even then, it's only the occasional project.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search