The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio sync generators
Old 17th April 2015
Lives for gear

Studio sync generators

So, just upgraded from the Sync IO to the Sync HD. What are folks using for house sync? My Sigma box is just putting out NTSC Black. I need Tri level sync now.
Old 17th April 2015
Lives for gear

AJA Gen10 is an affordable option if you don't need a fancy rackmount box.
Old 17th April 2015
Lives for gear

I second that
Gen 10 works great
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

I use the ESE DV-319P which I got from Markertek. It's a local Southbay company. It cost about $400, which a bit more than some, but I paid extra for the rack mount option, which is very handy and makes for a clean install. It doesn't really matter too much which one you get as long as it has enough outputs for both NTSC and Tri-level sync to suit your needs and is easy to setup for the different flavors of sync. The ESE has front mounted dip switches, so I don't have to go behind the rack to change the settings.
Old 18th April 2015
Lives for gear

Gen10 for me.

p
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
So, just upgraded from the Sync IO to the Sync HD. What are folks using for house sync? My Sigma box is just putting out NTSC Black. I need Tri level sync now.
nanosyncs HD
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-q View Post
Also very good.
Old 19th April 2015
I put a nanosyncs HD into a studio in 2006. Other than doing what is required and being left switched on, I don't think it has so much as farted since then. Solid.

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 20th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermisonic View Post
I put a nanosyncs HD into a studio in 2006. Other than doing what is required and being left switched on, I don't think it has so much as farted since then. Solid.

Rob Walker AMPS
Unlike the Gen10 it's also capable of cross-locking multiple different sync clocks. So you can interlock SD, tri-level, WC and AES all from one super-solid clock.
Old 20th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermisonic View Post

Rob Walker AMPS
I can second that. The Rosendahls are very solid.
Old 2nd June 2015
Lives for gear
On your Sync HD do you set the clock reference to Tri-level in or Word clock in and is there any real difference?
Old 3rd June 2015
We have a Rosendahl Nanosync HD in our Paris facility, and a Antelope Audio Isochrone Trinity in our Aubervilliers facility. I must say that the latter is more powerful in terms of configuring different sync settings for different rooms (we sometimes have Studio D recording foley for a feature at 24fps, and Studio E mixing TV at 25fps, and need each TriLevel ref to be correct for the framerate).
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
On your Sync HD do you set the clock reference to Tri-level in or Word clock in and is there any real difference?
WC is sample rate reference, a good speed reference. Tri-level provides a video frame-edge reference point along with speed reference. Using Tri-level, SyncHD+PT can align audio playback to the frame edges as well as stay on speed. That is what is needed for best audio playback when using video output hardware.
Old 3rd June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
I'm in quite similar situation. Why not to use SYNC HD as your master clock?
Old 4th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
I'm in quite similar situation. Why not to use SYNC HD as your master clock?
If you are using video output hardware such as from AJA, Blackmagic, or Avid, the most perfect audio-video sync can only be obtained when SyncHD and said video hardware are both locked to a common reference signal (such as tri-level although others are possible). Why, exactly, is a complicated answer. In short, SyncHD does not output a signal that can be used by any of the aforementioned video interfaces. Therefore, the two will not operate in perfect sync at a subframe level and the resulting sync performance between them is limited and compromised. Resulting alignment of audio and video is no better than having no video output hardware at all (using only a desktop video window). For some uses, no added video hardware is "good enough" since you can achieve plus/minus one video frame of accuracy (roughly within 30-40 milliseconds). Others not.
Old 8th June 2015
Gear Nut

That makes sense. Thank for your detailed reply!
📝 Reply