The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vegas - Pro Tools Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th May 2012
Amateur Producers

Vegas - Pro Tools

Hi.. I want to know, is there any solution for working between Sony Vegas Pro and Pro Tools Le?

I do video editing on Vegas, but I want to do audio post on Pro Tools, what kind of codec, that I must use for export setting from Vegas?

regards,
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

I've never done that conversion and haven't yet purchased this program, but it does claim compatibility. Worth checking out:

AATranslator - Home Page
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Export your audio from Vegas Pro to AAF (if you have the latest version of Vegas). Import AAF in Pro Tools.

Export your video to a codec which is easy on the cpu computer and use a Quicktime .mov container/wrapper. (Quicktime with DV codec or MJPEG are light on the cpu) If your computer is powerfull enough you might be able to use the same video codec at full resolution that you're editting with (but it's clear from you post what codec you're using).

I guess the intention is to do audio in Pro Tools and then probably bring the mixed audio files back in Vegas for the final movie export and therefore if you use a codec which doesn't tax your computer much so you can run more audio plugins.
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Head

I'm only now working on AAF conversions for AATranslator but even at this early point it just looks like an even more convoluted mess than OMF with pretty much all the same limitations - all the pain and not much gain.

Now of course if we are talking about a simple Vegas session you could just bounce down each track to wav and drag them into PT - and mix away.

But if you actually want all your seperate clips, automation/envelopes, xfades/fades & fade types as well as markers, bpm, clip names, track names, etc, etc, etc converted across so that you can make your mix decisions in PT well don't bother using AAF IMO.

And yes you certainly want to bounce down a lo-res video track that PT won't choke on.

Contact me via the AATranslator web site if I can be of any assistance

Edit:
Another short note about AAF :
Its exactly the same mess that OMF is - only more convoluted.
I've looked at AAF's from Vegas, PT, Logic and Media Composer and they all differ in some way with MC being the most hideous of all (naturally).
None of these DAWs read the other DAW's AAFs either completely or some not at all.

sigh......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search