The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DV Toolkit vs. Protools Academic Audio Interfaces
Old 21st September 2007
Gear nut

DV Toolkit vs. Protools Academic

I'm really interested in working on music for film. Not Traditional scores but rather some of the more obscure stuff directors look for. My Question is...

Is it going to be worth it to get the DV Toolkit 2 or should i get a Protools Academic Rig?

The only thing i will be really using this for is timecode and syncing. I do all my mixing and editing in protools so i feel it would be the best format for me. I already own the music production toolkit and all the plug-ins the dv toolkit 2 comes with. I'm not a huge fan of omf files so the digitranslator is not a huge deal for me (but then again i'm a post noob so im sorry if a stupid comment).
Old 21st September 2007
Gear interested

If you don't need the extra tracks audio tracks (32), then PT Academic does a fine job. I've used it since it first came out on many projects. I just recently upgraded to an 003 for more outputs than what I was just so I'm headed down the ole DV Toolkit road..
Really doesn't make sense they don't include SMPTE in base line protools..
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Addict

Is it possible to purchase JUST the software for LE Academic? Or do you have to purchase it bundled with hardware? I've got PTLE 7.3x, and a 002R, I just want a timecode ruler for some of the work I do and I'm not keen on spending all the cash on the DV Toolkit just to unlock a timecode ruler.
Old 21st September 2007
Gear maniac

Mark, take a look around for a legitimate copy of DV Toolkit 2 you might be able to pick up on ebay or elsewhere for a lot less. I agree, it's unfortunate you have to pay for timecode, but I will say you also get a lot of other useful stuff with the kit, like TL Space and Vocalign.

Steve
Old 21st September 2007
Gear nut

couldn't you get more outputs with a different m-audio interface. like the Delta 1010?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search