The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rupert Neve interview March 19th 2007
Old 21st March 2007
  #1
Rupert Neve interview March 19th 2007

Rupert Neve interview March 19th 2007

This interview took place in London at the Sonic Distribution studio opening party, west London, UK.

Its over HALF AN HOUR long so I have had to drop the audio quality right down to fit it on here!

ENJOY!

PART 1
Attached Files

RN part 1.mp3 (3.71 MB, 5075 views)

Old 21st March 2007
  #2
PART 2
Attached Files

RNeve Part 2.mp3 (3.04 MB, 3634 views)

Old 21st March 2007
  #3
Part 3
Attached Files

RNeve part 3.mp3 (3.94 MB, 3788 views)

Old 21st March 2007
  #4
Here is Rupert's new 5088 mixer that he talked about..

http://rupertneve.com/?page_id=239

The Portico range here

http://rupertneve.com/products/

Here is an Amek 9098 console

http://www.bigbluemeenie.com/index.pl?s=9

A Focusrite console

http://www.oceanwayrecording.com/studio_holly_a.php

And some time lines in reference to his design work

http://rupertneve.com/company/history/
Old 22nd March 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
analogtodd's Avatar
 

Good job!!!
Nice chat

thought it was my phone making the noise for a minute.... heh
Old 22nd March 2007
  #6
Gear Nut
 

I got to meet Rupert too. He's very calm, doesn't get too excited. Nice guy.
Old 22nd March 2007
  #7
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Yes this is the plan, I do want to figure out how to do this. But at present the procedure bamboozles me. If anyone wants to step up and walk a moron through it step by step, I would appreciate the assistance. I am RSS feed phobic, it stands for Really Simple Syndication.. and I guess I am simple, cause I dont get it.
Jules, this link should help you get started without needing to use any 3rd party apps outside of vbulletin. Pretty straight forward instructions.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...rsion=30600500

Great interview, btw!!

Dor
Old 22nd March 2007
  #8
Lives for Jesus
 
stevep's Avatar
Thumbs up

Thank you Jules !

Great interview, awesome to know he is using his Gift to help people and gives all the glory to God.

When he was talking about Amek in the 80s i kept waiting to hear him say something about my APC1000 .... maybe next time, or if you could talk him into being a guest here ,.... now that would be awesome !


Thanks again,


steve
Old 22nd March 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Hello Jules,

Was this interview done with your new small Nagra?

Over here we call it a "nig-nog."

Best from Chicago,

HudSonic
Old 22nd March 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
andremattos's Avatar
 

GREAT !!!
Thanks a lot Jules!!!




Old 22nd March 2007
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hello Jules,

Was this interview done with your new small Nagra?

Over here we call it a "nig-nog."

Best from Chicago,

HudSonic
Yes it was recorded on one of these -

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/nagra_ares-m.htm

But I managed to reduce it to sounding terrible.. It was really Hi Fi & great sounding before I rushed to get it down to a manageable file size.. I mangled it first with Audacity to 'maximize it" and bring up Ruperts side of the stereo (was a little quiet) and then again with ITunes... I will figure it out eventually.. I need to find the free mp3 software partner for Audacity (which is also free)
Old 23rd March 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
sonicdefault's Avatar
Jules, you are so very awesome





Old 23rd March 2007
  #13
Gear Addict
 
Jess Jackson's Avatar



on the neve focusrite forte at petes
Old 23rd March 2007
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I need to find the free mp3 software partner for Audacity (which is also free)
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...&item=lame-mp3

Love the interview by the way!
Old 31st March 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Hi
Just a note for SteveP.
As far as I am aware, Rupert's involvement with AMEK came after the APC1000 had been and 'gone'. Credits for the APC go to Graham Langley and the rest of the 'crew' at AMEK.
Matt S
Old 1st April 2007
  #16
Lives for Jesus
 
stevep's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
Just a note for SteveP.
As far as I am aware, Rupert's involvement with AMEK came after the APC1000 had been and 'gone'. Credits for the APC go to Graham Langley and the rest of the 'crew' at AMEK.
Matt S

Thanks Matt, Graham and Jem Wilson and all the other guys did a great job!
i Love this desk more every time i use it



peach
Old 3rd April 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
jahtao's Avatar
Thanks very much i really got a lot out of that... and enjoyed llistening. Good job with the interviewing Jules! Good work!

Just wondering which mics complement the new pre's with regard to extended high freq response? Any thoughts anyone?


Thanks some more
Matt
Old 3rd April 2007
  #18
Gear Addict
 

nice!

(ot: jules -- where exactly do you come from? can't tell from the accent exactly.)
Old 4th April 2007
  #19
Mid atlantic
Old 4th April 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Yes it was recorded on one of these -

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/nagra_ares-m.htm

But I managed to reduce it to sounding terrible.. It was really Hi Fi & great sounding before I rushed to get it down to a manageable file size.. I mangled it first with Audacity to 'maximize it" and bring up Ruperts side of the stereo (was a little quiet) and then again with ITunes... I will figure it out eventually.. I need to find the free mp3 software partner for Audacity (which is also free)
Suggestion: If you encoded the MP3 in mono you would save half the space, and could use a higher bitrate. Plus he'd come out of both speakers... and sound better!
Old 4th April 2007
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

High Definition Mono.......The new standard finally emerges
Old 4th April 2007
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Suggestion: If you encoded the MP3 in mono you would save half the space, and could use a higher bitrate. Plus he'd come out of both speakers... and sound better!
Back to mono eh?

Good idea..
Old 4th April 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 

The problem is that mono derived from stereo recorded digitally sounds so poor!
Matt S
Old 4th April 2007
  #24
Old 9th April 2007
  #25
Gear Addict
 
Reggie Love's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Yes it was recorded on one of these -

http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/nagra_ares-m.htm

But I managed to reduce it to sounding terrible.. It was really Hi Fi & great sounding before I rushed to get it down to a manageable file size.. I mangled it first with Audacity to 'maximize it" and bring up Ruperts side of the stereo (was a little quiet) and then again with ITunes... I will figure it out eventually.. I need to find the free mp3 software partner for Audacity (which is also free)
I used an Ares M recently for some stenography work. It's a lovely little device although the Steno mode uses an obscure Codec that was a pin in the *rse to convert.

I also had an invite to the Neve / Clearmountain launch but couldn't go as little Reg number 3 was not well. I was soooo gutted!
Old 17th April 2007
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Love View Post
I used an Ares M recently for some stenography work. It's a lovely little device although the Steno mode uses an obscure Codec that was a pin in the *rse to convert.

I also had an invite to the Neve / Clearmountain launch but couldn't go as little Reg number 3 was not well. I was soooo gutted!
Well I hope the little chap is feeling better!
Old 7th May 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
petsematary's Avatar
 

Nooooooo! Don't go mono, man. Keep the files big instead. I always record in stereo if it's for radio. Mono's easier but no one said good radio's supposed to be easy. Stereo sounds better when done right. It was invented for a purpose I guess.
Old 20th June 2007
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
The problem is that mono derived from stereo recorded digitally sounds so poor!
Matt S
When mono comes about by summing the L+R, yep pretty often not-so-good. If the editor can pick left OR right channel as the source, Mono is fine (especially if the microphone is close to the subject).

Gotta love full-track 1/4" tape at 15ip/s, except for lugging the AG-440B transport on a city bus. New-ish microscopic digital recorders are the hot ticket for news/interviews, fer sure.

Some coders have "voice-band" options that make the output gurgle and pump less at low-bitrates. At 32KB/s (stereo!), I'm amazed when anything sounds as good as a cellular telephone.

Cheers.
Old 24th October 2007
  #29
Gear Nut
 
redstudio's Avatar
 

AMEK console pics...

There are some good pictures of the Amek 9098i console on the Fullsail website. I believe they have ... 4 of these consoles? 2 in use, maybe 2 in storage?

Full Sail: School of Film, Art, Design, Music & Media Production

Its highly interactive. Have to do a little searching for the recording section and studio A as well as another specially designed suite...

NICE
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump