The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noob question: MixPre 3ii or 6ii?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Noob question: MixPre 3ii or 6ii?

Anyone with experience using MixPre 3ii and/or MixPre 6ii? I’ve been on the fence about which of these to purchase for way too long and need help making the decision. I’m relatively new to sound recording but generally believe in the “buy once cry once” philosophy when purchasing gear.

My anticipated use requirements are as follows:

PODCASTING: Rarely expect to record more than two people in person as most guests will be remote so MixPre 3ii should be fine for this. Want a device that can power mics such as SM7B without additional gain booster which is a main reason for interest in MixPre series.

SOUND FOR FILMMAKING: Mostly short documentary and YouTube content but maybe some commercial work in future. Although rare, I may need to record up to four people at a time (probably three lavs and one boom). Can MixPre 3ii record four people on four separate tracks? I’ve read conflicting information about using the 3.5mm Aux/Mic input while also using the three XLR inputs.

FIELD RECORDING/SFX: This is completely new for me but something I would like to delve further into soon. And this is where I’m the most uncertain about the potential benefit of having the extra inputs of the MixPre 6ii? I won’t be doing anything too serious. Mostly ambiance and SFX for personal film projects. Maybe some stereo recording with a MS setup at some point.

So, given these anticipated uses does anyone see a benefit to going for the MixPre 6ii or do you think the MixPre 3ii will be sufficiently future proof FOR ME?

Thanks in advance. I really value everyone’s expertise on this forum.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Asyou described your recording, the 6ii. "May" and "rare" mean it will happen. Are you to compromise or turn down work for an overall minor expense?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks for your reply avare. I guess you're right given that the price difference is only about $200. Honestly, I'm not sure if I will ever really need FOUR iso tracks but I guess better safe than sorry
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ever need four inputs?

You
Track playback left channel
Track playback right channel.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare ➡️
Ever need four inputs?

You
Track playback left channel
Track playback right channel.
Okay avare. At the risk of exposing my great lack of experience/knowledge with recording audio, can you please explain exactly what you are referring to with "Track playback left channel" and "Track playback right channel" as it relates to inputs?

I had only been considering the actual number of microphones that I might need to connect at one time. I had not given much consideration to other input requirements such as "track playback." Maybe I should?

Thank you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrianaSound ➡️
Okay avare. At the risk of exposing my great lack of experience/knowledge with recording audio, can you please explain exactly what you are referring to with "Track playback left channel" and "Track playback right channel" as it relates to inputs?

I had only been considering the actual number of microphones that I might need to connect at one time. I had not given much consideration to other input requirements such as "track playback." Maybe I should?

Thank you.
Playback device for music etc brought by the guest. Soundtrack when doing a video special. Audio tracks with clips appropriate for the show. Inputs from the playback device that the guest brought. There are numerous possibilities.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare ➡️
Playback device for music etc brought by the guest. Soundtrack when doing a video special. Audio tracks with clips appropriate for the show. Inputs from the playback device that the guest brought. There are numerous possibilities.
Thanks for that clarification avare. Definitely things I need to consider.
📝 Reply